Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Duszak isn't a bad signing if actually true, adds to the RHD depth. If Hirose selects Toronto as well that would also add to an area of need on LW.

Hoping Dubas can get both of these deals done. Both skillful players that when added to the skill we already have, it may bring the best out in their games. Remember St. Louis was undrafted prior to going to TB from the US ranks. When placed with skilled forwards like Lecavalier and Richards this guy broke out and turned into something.

Put these 2 players with players like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, Reilly and their skills may parlay to the NHL game. Its a free flyer and I am all for it.

Reactions: hockeynorth

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Dubas will do whatever it takes to keep this forward group together, and will keep putting stop-gaps on the blue line until liljergren and Sandin fully develop.

Heres my offseason prediction:
Marner signs 5 years just under what Matthews got (10.5-11.5)
Johnsson and Kapanen sign 1-2 year deals at the lowest cap hit dubas can get them at (somewhere between 2.5-3.5) (Johnsson likely goes to salary arb)
Petan and Hutchinson sign a 1-2 year deals for under 1 million
Leafs make a plethera of College and European FA signings

Trades:
Marleau is traded for B prospect or draft pick to a team he is willing to waive to play for (essentially given away)
Brown+ Pick/prospects is traded for Pysyk/Weegar type

Lineup looks something like this

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Petan-Gauthier-Bracco

Rielly-Pysyk/Weegar
Muzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljergren

Andersen-Hutchinson

Scratches:
Calle Rosen
Justin Holl
European FA center (Aaltonen/Andronov type)

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think Dubas will do whatever it takes to keep this forward group together, and will keep putting stop-gaps on the blue line until liljergren and Sandin fully develop.

Heres my offseason prediction:
Marner signs 5 years just under what Matthews got (10.5-11.5)
Johnsson and Kapanen sign 1-2 year deals at the lowest cap hit dubas can get them at (somewhere between 2.5-3.5) (Johnsson likely goes to salary arb)
Petan and Hutchinson sign a 1-2 year deals for under 1 million
Leafs make a plethera of College and European FA signings

Trades:
Marleau is traded for B prospect or draft pick to a team he is willing to waive to play for (essentially given away)
Brown+ Pick/prospects is traded for Pysyk (as hes had a down year like brown)

Lineup looks something like this

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen
Petan-Gauthier-Bracco

Rielly-Pysyk
Muzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljergren

Andersen-Hutchinson

Scratches:
Calle Rosen
Justin Holl
European FA center (Aaltonen/Andronov type)

I like everything you stated with the exception of Zaitsev. He is dealt this off season 100%. After he is dealt, we acquire either through trade or FA another RHD as a stop gap. Maybe 2 keeping Liljegren with Sandin to develop and bring up together as a tandem. I can see them bring Hainsey back on an Orpik type deal for a million bucks to play on bottom pair with Dermott. I would be all for going with a defense core of such next season:

Reilly-Stralman
Muzzin-Pysyk
Dermott-Hainsey

Reactions: TML1967

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
people won’t like this but I truly believe it would help the team

Arizona
Dvorak
Crouse
OEL
1st round pick

Toronto
Matthews
Zaitsev

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Dvorak Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Bracco

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Liljgren

Trade Marleau and Brown as well for whatever

Or Trade Nylander as well

St. Louis
Parayko

Toronto
Nylander
2nd round

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Kadri Bracco
Johnsson Dvorak Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Petan

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Rosen or Lil

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Arizona
Dvorak
Crouse
OEL
1st round pick

Toronto
Matthews
Zaitsev

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Dvorak Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Bracco

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Liljgren

St. Louis
Parayko

Toronto
Nylander
2nd round

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Kadri Bracco
Johnsson Dvorak Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Petan

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Rosen or Lil

So, we've already got more LHD than we need, and Babcock isn't playing them NOW off handed, but somehow you expect that if we trade for even more LHD, that suddenly he will?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Arizona
Dvorak
Crouse
OEL
1st round pick

Toronto
Matthews
Zaitsev

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Dvorak Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Bracco

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Liljgren

St. Louis
Parayko

Toronto
Nylander
2nd round

Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Kadri Bracco
Johnsson Dvorak Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Petan

OEL Rielly
Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Rosen or Lil

These deals are totally unrealistic. The minute you said Matthews name I stopped reading!!! When I finally came to and continued reading it became much more evident that it was unrealistic when you put Reilly as a RHD because of acquiring OEL as part of package.

Let me understand as to why it makes sense in your scenario and not with today's lineup to put Reilly as a RHD? We can easily put Muzzin with Reilly today but Babcock isn't. So why with OEL in the lineup?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Oilers GM search leaving no stone unturned - Sportsnet.ca
19. There were a ton of teams chasing Princeton’s Max Veronneau, but they knew Ottawa was serious when GM Pierre Dorion skipped seeing the Senators in Boston last Saturday to watch the winger’s final college game, a 6-5 triple-overtime loss to Brown.

Clarkson and Yale meet this weekend. After Veronneau, the most-watched NCAA player is the Golden Knights’ Nico Sturm, with New Jersey and Vancouver among the contenders. If the Bulldogs lose, leading scorer Joe Snively will end his college career and make a decision. Others looking for more of an edge will be watching the nation’s penalty-minute leader, Bowling Green’s Lukas Craggs, who also scored 13 goals.

20. North of the border, CHL players are free to sign at any time. Last Saturday, Sportsnet’s Sam Cosentino waxed poetic about WHL Lethbridge’s Jake Elmer, who has scored in 15 of the last 16 games. A Dec. 31 birthday can be a big disadvantage, but Elmer’s worked hard to overcome that, and Cosentino is under the impression he’ll be signed. Another young player working hard towards the next level is OHL London’s Kevin Hancock, traded earlier this season from Owen Sound. Approaching 300 career regular-season points, he’ll have to start in the AHL, but this is not someone afraid of a challenge.

21. Luke Philp is expected to be named Canadian University Player of the Year at the national championship, contested this weekend in Fredericton, N.B. The Alberta Golden Bear is going to get a shot. Doesn’t sound like it will be with the Oilers.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Snively will get a chance, probably like Patrick Newell out of St.Cloud State will, but I think both will end up going to other contenders with less NHL-ready wing depth, especially if they have to start in the AHL like they would here.

Kevin Hancock is a Babcock-type player, but needs major work on his skating and really bulking up to continue to be effective as he has been. Not sure we'd risk a full-ELC on that, especially if he doesn't stick at center in the pros. He'll need another 2 or 3 years at least.

I do not know anything about Elmer, and we are not going to go after Philp. He's an AHL contract player just like T.J. Foster was a few years back, so unless he's willing to take that from the Marlies and maybe get a shot in their lineup, then we won't even explore that option. He was at Leafs rookie camp once upon a time though.

If the Leafs get Duszak, I think any other moves come down to their decisions on internal guys; namely Korshkov, Joshua, McGregor, Gordeev and maybe even Dzierkals. Plus if their plans with some Marlies change (i.e. Bracco, Korshkov or Timashov make the Leafs or are dealt, etc.). If the Leafs like those options better, they may not even make another splash. TBH, most of the names do not beat what the Leafs have internally, and we only have so much room to properly develop a prospect. We will probably look at a bunch of guys for the Growlers next year, but beyond that, the main guys who are interesting will either head back to school to try and become headliners in next years' class, or will likely get snapped up by teams who can offer them much more than (at best) a 3rd or 4th line role with the Marlies next year and an outside chance of beating a long list of other guys for a depth role on the Leafs in the next few years. That's not too attractive to many FA's.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Reactions: TML Dynasty

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It hurts that we had to trade someone like Grundstrom when he is everything the Leafs are lacking at this time. Sure would look good with Matthews and Nylander. But for what ever reason was never given an opportunity. On the positive side of things I think Muzzin will be a great get come playoff time. He does add an element on the backend that we are lacking as well.

As they say you have to give to receive. Although it hurts that Grundstrom was lost in the deal, good on him for producing and I wish him nothing but the best. Hope is that Muzzin will help us get to that next level as well, and the deal becomes a win-win for both teams

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It hurts that we had to trade someone like Grundstrom when he is everything the Leafs are lacking at this time. Sure would look good with Matthews and Nylander. But for what ever reason was never given an opportunity. On the positive side of things I think Muzzin will be a great get come playoff time. He does add an element on the backend that we are lacking as well.

As they say you have to give to receive. Although it hurts that Grundstrom was lost in the deal, good on him for producing and I wish him nothing but the best. Hope is that Muzzin will help us get to that next level as well, and the deal becomes a win-win for both teams

What seperates Grundstrom from Komarov or Hyman?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He's far worse defensively than either, but he has more pure offensive talent than both.

Really, he'd be the type of guy who may be able to put up maybe 10 more points than Hyman, but would not provide the defensive skill Hyman provides (which is somewhat necessary since it is also a shutdown line).

Reactions: Warden of the North

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Id be totally fine with running a D core like this next year:

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Rosen-Liljergren

Extras: Heed/MDZ, Holl/Ozhiganov

We'd pretty much be able to keep the forward group intact (minus marleau) and have a more puck moving element to our blue line

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
What would it cost to get C.Miller from VGK... Vegas has some issues with the cap off-season. Something around

Brown
Bracco
<--->
Miller ??

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
skill? Grundstrom can make passes and shoot the puck. He is a puck hound who goes to the dirty areas but he can also make and finish high skill plays. IMO he was a better fit for our team then AJ but whats done is done. To be clear AJ will be more productive offensively but Grundstroms style is more what we need.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
skill? Grundstrom can make passes and shoot the puck. He is a puck hound who goes to the dirty areas but he can also make and finish high skill plays. IMO he was a better fit for our team then AJ but whats done is done. To be clear AJ will be more productive offensively but Grundstroms style is more what we need.

Bingo. Not mad we kept Johnsson over Grundstrom but if we could've moved Johnsson and possibly Kadri for Pesce and Necas/Gauthier/Ferland then why not pull the trigger on that. Bringing in Muzzin though makes me think we're gonna move on from Gardiner and maybe have a 2nd pair of Muzzin and Liljegren which wouldn't be a bad pair imo.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
What would it cost to get C.Miller from VGK... Vegas has some issues with the cap off-season. Something around

Brown
Bracco
<--->
Miller ??
Probably not something Vegas would be interested in. They've got Stone, Smith and Tuch on the right wing for the foreseeable future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think it’s hard to say Grundstrom fit the team better without him playing a single game for the team imo

Reactions: kb

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
i wondering what it might take to get edmontons first this year. it has lots of variables. but say kap is refusing to do a low term aav. wanting 5-6 x 6 which we wont be able to cover. i wonder if we package him and brown together if that might get teh ball rolling. it checks boxes for them a player that can keep up with mcdavid plus 2 rh shot wingers. sure there may have to be some more movement but having kap on the third line isnt going to be beneficial for him expecially if he wants top 6 money. again this is the worst case scenario if he refuses to sign a cheap bridge. i would rather get a sure top 10 pick over a offersheet. it would also allow us to try and recoup the position in the free agent frenzy. maybe Kap brown and our second for there first and third or something along those lines. its hard to tell i know we hold him to a high standard so it would have to be a good deal for us to do it.

which would possibly put us in position to take Broberg or byram or a couple centers/wingers in that area as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad