Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
This summer I think a good target would be Zemgus Girgensons. Matthews is missing Hyman on his left wing, and Girgensons seems like he could be that tenacious puck hound the line needs. Girgensons can also play centre if injuries occur, is a good PKer, and will come at a modest price tag.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Out
-Marleau
-Brown
-Nylander
-Kadri
-Zaitsev

In
-Trouba
-Lowry
-B. Tanev
- Crouse
-Tanev(van)
Tor
Nylander
Kadri

WPG
Trouba
Lowry

Tor
Brown
Marleau
2nd round pick 2020

Arizona
Crouse

Tor
Zaitsev

Van
Tanev

Sign Brandon Tanev(free agent)

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Kapanen
Crouse Lowry Tanev
Moore Gauthier Bracco
Petan

Rielly Trouba
Muzzin Tanev
Rosen Dermott

Salary cap works really well if we could do this

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I just dont understand how you cant comprehend that this is also contract related.

Youre calling him selfish for wanting to play.

Players want to play for their own will and for the teams that honoured them a contract.

Calling him selfish because he hasnt mentally mailed it in yet is rediculous.

Maybe he retires this offseason because he does understand he cant keep up and this isnt a discussion next year?

He wont play if he doesnt believe he can keep up. But if he does, he will want to honour his contract and of course be in the every day lineup while doing so.

i have GREAT respect for what PM has done here and during his career but at 6.5m per, there is no room for that here anymore,,given the pressures of this fan base and media.

Dubas screwed up MASSIVELY with his dealings with MeLander , 10 million cap hit THIS season????that locked out our TD abilities

i want folks to really look at this,, screw your crying about zait/goat , thats what 5.1 in cap hit????

PM and Melander ate up 16.5 million in cap this season for 23 goals /65p - 10 COMBINED TOTALS

zait/goat 5.1m,,16.5m for,,.PM/Melander for 23 goals 65 points and a -10

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Poile's way too smart for that to happen.
oh IDK,,,,,,, look i doubt there is anyone that hates Melander more here then i

but you run him at 2nd C on a roster like,Nash/Winn and that could be the perfect spot for him.

melander needs skill on his line,,and he needs hound dogs on the puck ,, those 2 teams can provide that

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
oh IDK,,,,,,, look i doubt there is anyone that hates Melander more here then i

but you run him at 2nd C on a roster like,Nash/Winn and that could be the perfect spot for him.

melander needs skill on his line,,and he needs hound dogs on the puck ,, those 2 teams can provide that

Why does Nashville get Nylander at his best?

So, we bury guys until they're the worst version of themselves so other teams can swoop in and buy low and turn the player into a superstar?

Reactions: Menzinger

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why does Nashville get Nylander at his best?

So, we bury guys until they're the worst version of themselves so other teams can swoop in and buy low and turn the player into a superstar?
The same people pleading for him to be gone will also be the ones complaining that the Leafs traded him when he becomes a ppg winger/center in the near future.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Welp here goes:

Trade Marleau - he's going full-Komarov in his effectiveness. Need to get his cap hit off the books.

Trade Brown - I have no idea how he scored 20 goals in his first year ... His offensive abilities dropped off the face of the earth. The Leafs have been players in the system that can replace him.

Trade Zaitsev - solid playoffs, no doubt. But still a long-term contract that is questionable, and have a partial NTC kicking in on July 1st. Move him now when cap space is needed on the team

Trade Kadri - maybe - there's a case to be made. But you want to ensure you have someone to replace him. He didn't play well this year capped with another boneheaded suspension. Maybe it's time to move him while he has value. Of course he could rebound next year... You don't move him without a viable replacement in line.

Which brings me to:

Trade Nylander - maybe - again a tough one. Great offensive skills but now has 3 goals/11 points in 20 career playoff games. Looked good at centre with two boat anchors on his line in the playoffs. I feel like he needs the right linemates to succeed in the post season .. His cap hit and production when it matters does concern me. I would only move him for a legitimate RHD upgrade IMO.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I want to see us sell high on Kapanen this offseason. Im not sure he has the IQ to take his game to another level.

Reactions: Duke16

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
wow,,one of the few that have heart and guts on this butter soft roster
Did the team did look physically out matched in games 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7? Didnt look like it to me.

He can go for someone who will actually stay in the lineup. The series was so close, you could make a good case that if he's in the lineup, we win.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
ooh that's a good one. ellis is good, very good but at 28 is it a risk you wanna take when cashing out a chip like nylander? I think the dman we get for nylander needs to be a little younger.
I watched the preds series Ellis looked terrible.couldn't handle bigger players on the cycle. Was exposed a lot

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I watched the preds series Ellis looked terrible.couldn't handle bigger players on the cycle. Was exposed a lot

I’m out then, I was hoping for someone who watched his playoffs.

Despite what leafs nation thinks of nylander if we trade him we can’t f*** it up as I said earlier he is a high level chip that we need to cash out at the right time. Maybe this offseason isn’t the right time, build him back up to a 60-70 point player at least then trade him

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Dubas screwed up MASSIVELY with his dealings with MeLander , 10 million cap hit THIS season????that locked out our TD abilities

William Nylander cost us 6.96 million against the cap this year. The 10 million is a proxy of his per game cap hit.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
I am not sure what the leafs will do with Marleau/Zaistev/Brown/Nylander but I would like them to resign ennis and Hainsey on a 1 year deal if the salary is reasonable

Having this defense next year would make me happy:

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaistev
liljegren- Hainsey
Rosen

Still have Rielly/Dermott/Muzzin/ liljegren for the powerplay and Hainsey/Zaistev/Muzzin/Rielly for the PK.
Keep Sandin on the Marlies and have him as the first call up.

I would also like Bracco up and have him run the 2nd powerplay unit.

The Leafs have solid pieces coming (Bracco, lily, sandin) that can replaces some of the pieces that will leave (gardiner).....I just hope there are some changes to the coaching staff (assistants at the very least)

Could be worse I guess....last year the Leafs lost game 7 on my birthday, this year I will have the locker clean out day on my birthday.....

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I am not sure what the leafs will do with Marleau/Zaistev/Brown/Nylander but I would like them to resign ennis and Hainsey on a 1 year deal if the salary is reasonable

Having this defense next year would make me happy:

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaistev
liljegren- Hainsey
Rosen

Still have Rielly/Dermott/Muzzin/ liljegren for the powerplay and Hainsey/Zaistev/Muzzin/Rielly for the PK.
Keep Sandin on the Marlies and have him as the first call up.

I would also like Bracco up and have him run the 2nd powerplay unit.

The Leafs have solid pieces coming (Bracco, lily, sandin) that can replaces some of the pieces that will leave (gardiner).....I just hope there are some changes to the coaching staff (assistants at the very least)

Could be worse I guess....last year the Leafs lost game 7 on my birthday, this year I will have the locker clean out day on my birthday.....
I too hope none of Marleau, Zaitev, Brown, Nylander are back, but that's wishful thinking imo. I'd be happy to see Hainsey and Ennis back on reasonable contracts however I think they'll be offered deals the Leafs won't be able to match, neither will be offered 1 year terms imo, both have huge value if used properly. Hainsey's career has been as a road warrior, I don't see him taking less to stay in Toronto, Ennis showed he can still play, he'll be offered significantly more elsewhere.

My number 1 wish is for the Leafs to move on from Dubas, his learning curve is going to kill this team in the long run.

Reactions: Faltorvo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Welp here goes:

Trade Marleau - he's going full-Komarov in his effectiveness. Need to get his cap hit off the books.

Trade Brown - I have no idea how he scored 20 goals in his first year ... His offensive abilities dropped off the face of the earth. The Leafs have been players in the system that can replace him.

Trade Zaitsev - solid playoffs, no doubt. But still a long-term contract that is questionable, and have a partial NTC kicking in on July 1st. Move him now when cap space is needed on the team

Trade Kadri - maybe - there's a case to be made. But you want to ensure you have someone to replace him. He didn't play well this year capped with another boneheaded suspension. Maybe it's time to move him while he has value. Of course he could rebound next year... You don't move him without a viable replacement in line.

Which brings me to:

Trade Nylander - maybe - again a tough one. Great offensive skills but now has 3 goals/11 points in 20 career playoff games. Looked good at centre with two boat anchors on his line in the playoffs. I feel like he needs the right linemates to succeed in the post season .. His cap hit and production when it matters does concern me. I would only move him for a legitimate RHD upgrade IMO.

I think we're of the same mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad