Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau hasn’t been super noticeable, but when you focus on him, I feel likes he’s still doing great things that go unnoticed. He’s a big body, and he’s using it to win a lot of board battles, and is pressuring the defense well.

I used to detest lupul because he used to coast into corners and time himself so he would make it just in time that he didn’t have to engage physically. And if he did go into a scrum, he’s do little crosschecks that Johnny gaudreau might not even notice.

I may not want marleau on next years roster (for cap reasons) but I think he’s been good in this series.

My take on Marleau is he’s ok at defending a lead and making sure nothing catastrophic happens but can’t do anything for you when you’re trying to come back.

Reactions: Duffman955

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
MyBudJT's Offseason Wishlist

2 quality depth forwards who are reliable PKers (preferably one at center).
1 qualify defensman who is a reliable PKer (and preferably can move and shoot the puck).

Hope that Marleau is ready to retire and be traded to another team to do so. I'd be okay letting go of Johnsson, Kappy and/or Nylander if need be.

Jenner-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Bracco
Marchment- Sheahan-Petan
Gauthier

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Rosen, Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

Liljegren,

Reactions: Duffman955

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Would a Zaitsev-Kesler swap make sense? Similar to the Clarkson-Horton trade. The Leafs LTIR Kesler for the remainder of his contract.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If you cut through the Montreal hot takes and the obvious alt account trolls there's actually been a couple decent Nylander offers on the main board

Winner is the Isles
Mayfield+Wahlstrom+ Dal Colle
Perfect and mind bogglingy cheap partner for Rielly, high end scoring prospect with size, roster filler with upside

Second up is Yotes with
Fischer+POJ+Westerlund
Kapanen level top 6 power winger, top defensive prospect, B defensive prospect

Both bring a good blend of filling present need+ high end future upside while freeing up money

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
MyBudJT's Offseason Wishlist

2 quality depth forwards who are reliable PKers (preferably one at center).
1 qualify defensman who is a reliable PKer (and preferably can move and shoot the puck).

Hope that Marleau is ready to retire and be traded to another team to do so. I'd be okay letting go of Johnsson, Kappy and/or Nylander if need be.

Jenner-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kadri-Bracco
Marchment
- Sheahan-Petan
Gauthier

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Rosen, Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

Liljegren,

getting rid of marleau would ease our cap situation so much. we would go from cap hell to being able to add pretty much. Lets hope his disinterested play is a sign he is happy to hang em up and willingly get traded to a cap floor team.

I wont hold my breath though, cant force him to hang em up

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If you cut through the Montreal hot takes and the obvious alt account trolls there's actually been a couple decent Nylander offers on the main board

Winner is the Isles
Murphy+Wahlstrom+ Dal Colle
Perfect and mind bogglingy cheap partner for Rielly, high end scoring prospect with size, roster filler with upside

Second up is Yotes with
Fischer+POJ+Westerlund

Both bring a good blend of filling present need+ high end future upside while freeing up money

Do you mean Mayfield not Murphy?

Reactions: 4thline

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Winner is the Isles
Mayfield+Wahlstrom+ Dal Colle

Second up is Yotes with
Fischer+POJ+Westerlund

Meh on both

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would a Zaitsev-Kesler swap make sense? Similar to the Clarkson-Horton trade. The Leafs LTIR Kesler for the remainder of his contract.

Interesting.

I don’t think Zaitsev has that bad of value though. I think he can be traded quiet easily. Perhaps not for a ton of value, but still traded.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Interesting.

I don’t think Zaitsev has that bad of value though. I think he can be traded quiet easily. Perhaps not for a ton of value, but still traded.

I agree. I think these playoffs have pushed his value from negative to neutral. This trade was based off him having negative value.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Possibly but it really doesn't make sense for either team.

Anaheim can just LTIR him and use the cap space as they please since the contract is insured.

Zaitsev isn't a great asset but he has more value than a LTIR albatross. We could do better in trades.

The reason the Clarkson/Horton trade made sense was because the Horton contract wasn't insured. Columbus couldn't afford to pay somebody not to play for them, so they traded for a similar player that they thought would actually play for 7 years or at the very least get an insured contract back.

The Leafs had no problem paying $5M a year for somebody to go away.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting.

I agree, he's played better of late and has value, but his contract hurts the return, perhaps packaging him with another asset will improve the return?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
This sounds like hyperbole.
I counter yours with mine: that line would be electric, and I’ve hoped for it since seeing Willie and Kap together in the playoffs a few years back.

No question it would be an electric and exciting line to watch. It would also give up goals and odd man chances that the NHL has not seen in years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Calgary stinking up the joint could open up the possibility of a Nylander for Hanifin type deal...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
No question it would be an electric and exciting line to watch. It would also give up goals and odd man chances that the NHL has not seen in years.
Kapanen is defensively responsible. Johnsson is defensively responsible. Bill the thrill is active defensively. That sounds like a stretch....
It’s also a line that’s capable of 80 goals, especially when considering it is likely matched up against third lines.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Kadri to the preds for a dman.
The optimal trade would be a RD who plays smart D first....on an ELC....who can handle tough assignments....and play alongside Mo.

It’s nice to dream.

Alternately, I could see him moved for an ELC crash and bang LW who be be AM’s Hyman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if Calgary stinking up the joint could open up the possibility of a Nylander for Hanifin type deal...

Hanifin doesn't fit to me. We need a right handed defenseman badly if we're going to trade Nylander. With that said, Hanifin is in the age range of what the Leafs would require if they ever think of trading Nylander.

I don't see many fits.

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Interesting.

I think you are right and thats very good news for us.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I haven’t wanted a player traded more than William Nylander in quite some time for a multitude of reasons.

I think we are still a year away from that. Especially now with Kadri putting himself in a bad spot. Win or lose he's removed himself from the team on the ice and has a moveable contract
also like how much Moore has stepped up

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Zaitsev value has increased to the Leafs and the rest of the NHL with his play the last 2-3 weeks of regular season and the playoffs. I don't think he is a cap dump anymore, he has value.

As for Nylander, it would be the worst possible time to trade Nylander this off season if we are bounced tonight. He hasn't shown anything to make him worth the risk. But if we get past the Bruins tonight and go on a longer run this playoffs, and Nylander performs and contributes. There will be more value. But not how things are right now.

I would give Nylander a full training camp, a full season with Matthews cause that is where he should be. And then re-evaluate the situation. Trading him this off season would be a mistake for Dubas and brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad