Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
I too hope none of Marleau, Zaitev, Brown, Nylander are back, but that's wishful thinking imo. I'd be happy to see Hainsey and Ennis back on reasonable contracts however I think they'll be offered deals the Leafs won't be able to match, neither will be offered 1 year terms imo, both have huge value if used properly. Hainsey's career has been as a road warrior, I don't see him taking less to stay in Toronto, Ennis showed he can still play, he'll be offered significantly more elsewhere.

My number 1 wish is for the Leafs to move on from Dubas, his learning curve is going to kill this team in the long run.

You have to give dubas more than 1 year....babcock has had 4 years now and dubas should have his own coach before we judge him

Enough is enough....get rid of babcock

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
oh IDK,,,,,,, look i doubt there is anyone that hates Melander more here then i

but you run him at 2nd C on a roster like,Nash/Winn and that could be the perfect spot for him.

melander needs skill on his line,,and he needs hound dogs on the puck ,, those 2 teams can provide that

It is why I think they are perfect trading partners.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There will be a good amount of changes this off-season, mostly due to the cap. Gardiner and Hainsey I would say are 99.9% gone. 2 defenders that played a lot of minutes throughout the past 2 seasons is a big big change.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of trading out players, but Marleau is at the top of the list if at all possible. After that, it will all depend on the market, value and opportunities. As much as some want Zaitsev, Brown, Kapanen, Kadri, etc etc traded, sometimes the market just isn't there to get proper value back. For example, Zaitsev to me should be gone if there's interest but if you can't find a cheaper alternative to his skillset, I'm not sure trading him would help us right away.

And no, Babcock isn't getting fired.

Should be an interesting summer to say the least.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I am not sure what the leafs will do with Marleau/Zaistev/Brown/Nylander but I would like them to resign ennis and Hainsey on a 1 year deal if the salary is reasonable

Having this defense next year would make me happy:

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaistev
liljegren- Hainsey
Rosen

Still have Rielly/Dermott/Muzzin/ liljegren for the powerplay and Hainsey/Zaistev/Muzzin/Rielly for the PK.
Keep Sandin on the Marlies and have him as the first call up.

I would also like Bracco up and have him run the 2nd powerplay unit.

The Leafs have solid pieces coming (Bracco, lily, sandin) that can replaces some of the pieces that will leave (gardiner).....I just hope there are some changes to the coaching staff (assistants at the very least)

Could be worse I guess....last year the Leafs lost game 7 on my birthday, this year I will have the locker clean out day on my birthday.....

Generally agree but I'm in a different boat regarding Hainsey. I say move on from the guy and start giving the minutes to guys who are part of the future. That to me is Rosen and one of Lilly or Sandin, who look based on how they're playing now like one of them should make the 3rd pairing next year.

To me, we would be wise to move on from Brown, Marleau, and Kadri. This does a few things -
  • Space to move Moore up
  • Opens a spot for a gritty middle 6 winger
  • Moves Kadri out for a RHD replacement for Hainsey, or insurance in case Sandin or Lilly aren't ready
  • Moves Nylander to center
I think we should also retry Muzzin and Rielly on the top pair. This would keep Dermott on the 2nd pair where he's suited next year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You have to give dubas more than 1 year....babcock has had 4 years now and dubas should have his own coach before we judge him

Enough is enough....get rid of babcock
I was hoping Hunter would get the job, however I was impressed with Dubas' PR prowess and thought perhaps I was wrong about Hunter. I'm now convinced Dubas isn't the answer, and my original opinion was correct. Having said that I do think he should bring in his boy Keefe, Babcock and Dubas are like oil and water, one has to go and as much as I'd like that to be Dubas, Shanahan hasn't the stones to admit his mistake and correct it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If there's a team that needs a 2nd line center and if there's a team that Kadri would fit in well with, it's the Flyers. I think there's a fit there. Fletcher as the new GM won't have much attachment to some prospects, so I'm sure there could be something there to perhaps get done. They don't have the one for one asset but interesting assets.

I was thinking something along the lines of Kadri for Myers, Laughton and their 2nd round pick? Or maybe switch out the pick and add Rubtsov (I'm not very high on him though)? I haven't seen enough of Myers to really like this trade but I feel like he's got some really good potential.

We shed cap space, gain depth and potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
New Armchair GM (You don't have to love it - I don't even know if I do right now) - Read until the end.

Re-sign
  • Marner 8 years 10.75M per
  • Johnsson 2 years 2.5M per
  • Hutchinson 1 year 875k

Sign
  • Ferland 4.5M x 5 years
  • Kruger 900k 1 year
  • Mcginn 900k 1 year

Trade
  • Nylander for Subban (1.5M retained)
  • Kapanen+? for Pesce
  • Brown, Sparks for Benning, 5th
  • Marleau+4th to Ottawa and then retirement
  • Kadri and Zaitsev for Faksa, Comeau and rights to Albin Eriksson

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Ferland-Matthews-Bracco
Johnsson-Faksa-Comeau
Moore-Kruger-McGinn
Gauthier

Rielly-Subban
Muzzin-Pesce
Dermott-Benning
Rosen

OR top 4 of

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Subban

Andersen
Hutchinson

Summary/Thoughts

Off the hop, if Marleau doesn't want to go into retirement for us, the whole plan is gone.

Carolina might not want to trade Pesce for Kapanen (I suppose we could say that for any trade)

People will complain about the downgrade from Kadri to Faksa but he's a good player and chances are he wouldn't end up suspended 2 post-seasons in a row.

HUGE gamble on Bracco being able to play with Matthews.

560k cap space remaining means there is a bit of wiggle room, but not a crazy amount.

The top 4 D is greatly improved and we added a bit of grit.

If there's a team that needs a 2nd line center and if there's a team that Kadri would fit in well with, it's the Flyers. I think there's a fit there. Fletcher as the new GM won't have much attachment to some prospects, so I'm sure there could be something there to perhaps get done.

I was thinking something along the lines of Kadri for Myers, Laughton and their 2nd round pick? Or maybe switch out the pick and add Rubtsov? I haven't seen enough of Myers to really like this trade but I feel like he's got some really good potential.

I am sure my own Kadri trade scenario above will get torched but I am not sure on the return here for Kadri. A lot of gamble. I like Laughton on the 4th line a lot.

Myers is a gamble and a 2nd in this draft isn't much. I know they want a 2C to shelter Patrick though...I feel like the deal doesn't do enough to help us next year and the futures are far from sure things.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am sure my own Kadri trade scenario above will get torched but I am not sure on the return here for Kadri. A lot of gamble. I like Laughton on the 4th line a lot.

Myers is a gamble and a 2nd in this draft isn't much. I know they want a 2C to shelter Patrick though...I feel like the deal doesn't do enough to help us next year and the futures are far from sure things.

Myers is a 6'5" defenseman that skates incredibly well, uses his size and has good skill. Admittedly haven't seen much of him outside of 1 or 2 NHL games this season and some AHL games. I think his value is pretty good for them but I feel like the Flyers will want to keep him for when Gudas gets traded or walks.

The 2nd round pick would be a top 45 pick. That's very good as well, especially since we don't have a 1st rounder.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if a Dumba for Nylander trade would work for both parties. Min needs some scoring and the Leafs could pair Dumba with Reilly.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If there's a team that needs a 2nd line center and if there's a team that Kadri would fit in well with, it's the Flyers. I think there's a fit there. Fletcher as the new GM won't have much attachment to some prospects, so I'm sure there could be something there to perhaps get done. They don't have the one for one asset but interesting assets.

I was thinking something along the lines of Kadri for Myers, Laughton and their 2nd round pick? Or maybe switch out the pick and add Rubtsov (I'm not very high on him though)? I haven't seen enough of Myers to really like this trade but I feel like he's got some really good potential.

I'd do this and the Flyers would be the perfect place for Kadri. Myers is worth the gamble, I think he'll be a solid D man and he didn't cost the Flyers anything other than the cost of development. This could be a win win trade, but he's probably not soft enough for Dubas' liking.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Myers is a 6'5" defenseman that skates incredibly well, uses his size and has good skill. Admittedly haven't seen much of him outside of 1 or 2 NHL games this season and some AHL games. I think his value is pretty good for them but I feel like the Flyers will want to keep him for when Gudas gets traded or walks.

The 2nd round pick would be a top 45 pick. That's very good as well, especially since we don't have a 1st rounder.

He has a lot of great tools, I am not sure on the upside. Watching the Flyers I just noticed Ghost messing up defensively a lot. He also is their only RHD in the organization after Gudas so there is that.

Laughton is nice but still kind of a 4C. 2nd is nice...but basically the equivalent of a scratch ticket.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Yes - Philly, also Vancouver and Calgary come to mind and both have defensive pieces that could be used in a trade.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd do this and the Flyers would be the perfect place for Kadri. Myers is worth the gamble, I think he'll be a solid D man and he didn't cost the Flyers anything other than the cost of development. This could be a win win trade, but he's probably not soft enough for Dubas' liking.

Muzzin isn't soft at all and he was acquired. This narrative is pretty lazy.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes - Philly, also Vancouver and Calgary come to mind and both have defensive pieces that could be used in a trade.

Rasmus Andersson would be a good target in the same kind of scenario. The problem with Calgary is that they don't have much cap space, if at all.

As for Vancouver, I don't see it. Not many right handed defenseman that fit the bill.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
he's quoted as saying he doesn't think the Leafs need a physical element, I'm not making this up.

It's not a priority and we certainly didn't lose because of physicality. Stop.

We need good players like good teams have.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Generally agree but I'm in a different boat regarding Hainsey. I say move on from the guy and start giving the minutes to guys who are part of the future. That to me is Rosen and one of Lilly or Sandin, who look based on how they're playing now like one of them should make the 3rd pairing next year.

To me, we would be wise to move on from Brown, Marleau, and Kadri. This does a few things -
  • Space to move Moore up
  • Opens a spot for a gritty middle 6 winger
  • Moves Kadri out for a RHD replacement for Hainsey, or insurance in case Sandin or Lilly aren't ready
  • Moves Nylander to center
I think we should also retry Muzzin and Rielly on the top pair. This would keep Dermott on the 2nd pair where he's suited next year.

I think Hainsey should be brought back if he is on a reasonable contract just because injuries happen and rosen/Lilly/ sandin will be given a chance regardless

Reactions: Al14

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
I was hoping Hunter would get the job, however I was impressed with Dubas' PR prowess and thought perhaps I was wrong about Hunter. I'm now convinced Dubas isn't the answer, and my original opinion was correct. Having said that I do think he should bring in his boy Keefe, Babcock and Dubas are like oil and water, one has to go and as much as I'd like that to be Dubas, Shanahan hasn't the stones to admit his mistake and correct it.

Well one has had 1 year and the other 4 years....so I'd say one has had more chances than the other plus the gm usually has his choice of coach before the clock starting ticking on him

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It's not a priority and we certainly didn't lose because of physicality. Stop.

We need good players like good teams have.

Can't help disagree to some extent. We clearly did not show the same kind of put-it-all-on-the-line that Boston did. We saw flashes of it from Marner in one game, Moore throughout the series, Rielly and Muzzin were great, but the rest of the team clearly didn't engage physically as much as they could have.

Their bottom 6 out played ours most of the series. Our 3rd line was atrocious. Gardiner, Nylander and Marner are not winning ANY physical board battles. Brown and Marleau aren't contributing anything.

I am not fully in the trade Nylander camp yet, but some of his play this postseason was very very disappointing for a guy he's supposed to be. Flat out refuses to engage board battles.

You can't underestimate it's importance in the playoffs - regular season sure.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can't help disagree to some extent. We clearly did not show the same kind of put-it-all-on-the-line that Boston did. We saw flashes of it from Marner in one game, Moore throughout the series, Rielly and Muzzin were great, but the rest of the team clearly didn't engage physically as much as they could have.

Their bottom 6 out played ours most of the series. Our 3rd line was atrocious. Gardiner, Nylander and Marner are not winning ANY physical board battles. Brown and Marleau aren't contributing anything.

I am not fully in the trade Nylander camp yet, but some of his play this postseason was very very disappointing for a guy he's supposed to be. Flat out refuses to engage board battles.

You can't underestimate it's importance in the playoffs - regular season sure.

There was nothing about physicality that lost us Game 6 or 7. The Leafs won plenty of board battles through the series, especially when you consider they out chanced Boston 5 on 5 and had plenty of offensive zone time. It was all about special teams (the worst PK percentage in the cap era), not getting enough offence from depth players and goaltending --- especially game 7.

It's a bad and lazy narrative that isn't backed up by facts or even the eye test.

Reactions: 613Leafer

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
There was nothing about physicality that lost us Game 6 or 7. The Leafs won plenty of board battles through the series, especially when you consider they out chanced Boston by quite a bit 5 on 5. It was all about special teams (the worst PK percentage in the cap era at least), not getting enough offence from depth players and goaltending --- especially game 7.

It's a bad and lazy narrative that isn't backed up by facts or even the eye test.

How can you say that not winning more battles does not contribute to the outcome of a game?

Your thinking the blame is being solely placed on to physicality. It is not. But it is a contributing factor as just as special teams rates, SVP, etc are.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think Hainsey should be brought back if he is on a reasonable contract just because injuries happen and rosen/Lilly/ sandin will be given a chance regardless

for me it is a big no cause if you bring him back and Babs is still around he will lean on Hainsey again in the top pairing. Get rid of Hainsey, Brown and if possible Marleau all GUD pros and force Babs to rely on his star players to lead the way.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How can you say that not winning more battles does not contribute to the outcome of a game?

Your thinking the blame is being solely placed on to physicality. It is not. But it is a contributing factor as just as special teams rates, SVP, etc are.

I'm saying that it wasn't a problem at all. They outhit them and certainly had better chances 5 on 5. Special teams involves a lot more than winning board battles and most of their PP goals did not involves losing board battles at all.

Nylander and Marner didn't have the best of playoffs, I don't disagree there. I also don't think the solution is trading them for pennies on the dollar.

The players that were absolutely brutal like Marleau and Brown played WAY too much for what they were contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad