Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sanheim is a RD according to CapFriendly and every other website I have found. He was Provorov's partner, which is partially the reason why I think he'd be great for Rielly.

Sanheim is a Left Handed player. He has often played on the Right side, out of need.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sanheim is a Left Handed player. He has often played on the Right side, out of need.

If he knows how to play his offside well, I could care less whether he shoots left.

If he's a good RD, then he's what we need.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I dont think Sanheim is the right fit. Id rather get Pesce. Carolina was known to be wanting to get Kapanen earlier in the season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I dont think Sanheim is the right fit. Id rather get Pesce. Carolina was known to be wanting to get Kapanen earlier in the season.

It wasn't known that they were willing to give Pesce for him though. I highly doubt they were.

I honestly don't think Pesce is available at all. It is known that the Canes wanted to trade Faulk in the off-season and will likely do so again this off-season. I know a lot of teams want Pesce, because he's young, signed to a great deal, good skating RHD who plays great defense, but that's why the Canes won't want to give him up.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
It wasn't known that they were willing to give Pesce for him though. I highly doubt they were.

I honestly don't think Pesce is available at all. It is known that the Canes wanted to trade Faulk in the off-season and will likely do so again this off-season. I know a lot of teams want Pesce, because he's young, signed to a great deal, good skating RHD who plays great defense, but that's why the Canes won't want to give him up.
I mean Kapanen is valuable as well. Hes younger and will probably be signed to a similar cap hit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean Kapanen is valuable as well. Hes younger and will probably be signed to a similar cap hit.
Yes , Kap is certainly valuable, just IMO, I don’t think the Canes are moving Pesce for him. I don’t think that the Canes are moving Pesce at all.

With a cap crunch coming, I don’t think Kapanen will be moving either though.

Reactions: TML1967

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yes , Kap is certainly valuable, just IMO, I don’t think the Canes are moving Pesce for him. I don’t think that the Canes are moving Pesce at all.

With a cap crunch coming, I don’t think Kapanen will be moving either though.
I love Kappy, but logic would say he probably will be on the move. Currently our best forward prospect is Jeremy Bracco who looks like he will be a top 9 RWer. That makes Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Bracco our RW depth. On the left we have much less depth...Hyman, Johnsson,Moore, Marleau, Marchment.

Unlikely we will be able to afford both AJ and Kap long term...Keeping AJ might take priority over Kapanen simply because of positional needs.

Personally, i think they both move at some point in the next few years. Its just a matter of the rotating cycle of players around your core group of guys.

Trying to get Zaitsev out and replace him with a top 4 D should be our #1 priority to improving. AJ/Kap would be the best currency to help us make this happen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Marleau/Kadri/Nylander
Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson

Move one from each list without more than League min in salary coming back and even if Marner matches Matthews in aav we're fine.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marleau/Kadri/Nylander
Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson

Move one from each list without more than League min in salary coming back and even if Marner matches Matthews in aav we're fine.

I would be fine with making Marner the highest paid RW in the league potentially if the term is 8 years.

In terms of the list, the answers are Marleau and Brown but change to something else if the return is great.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marleau/Kadri/Nylander
Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson

Brown and Marleau please. Basically offsets Marners new deal.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Brown and Marleau please. Basically offsets Marners new deal.

Marleau to Ottawa or Arizona (team near cap floor) Jult 2nd. We pay his signing bonus and he rides off into the sunset in retirement. Costs us a decent not elite prospect, or taking cash player back.

Brown is having a really solid playoffs, we will miss him as hes showing he can be a 3W if he plays with grit. I could see a team like Edmonton that needs wingers taking him and us getting a 2nd or 3rd back + a contract around league minimum.

Opens one LW and one RW spot and almost 9m in space.

IMO best case scenario we try and make Kappy a LW.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnson Matthews Nylander
Kapanen Kadri Bracco

That's a pretty balanced top 9, Hyman AJ Kap and Bracco should all be cheap.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Would easily give marner 10.5-11 for 7 or 8 years. Just dont think we can afford to do that with Marleau still on the books.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Why would Marleau waive his no movement clause? We have him for one more year and i think thats something we likely have to accept.

Reactions: ChuckWoods

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marleau to Ottawa or Arizona (team near cap floor) Jult 2nd. We pay his signing bonus and he rides off into the sunset in retirement. Costs us a decent not elite prospect, or taking cash player back.

Brown is having a really solid playoffs, we will miss him as hes showing he can be a 3W if he plays with grit. I could see a team like Edmonton that needs wingers taking him and us getting a 2nd or 3rd back + a contract around league minimum.

Opens one LW and one RW spot and almost 9m in space.

IMO best case scenario we try and make Kappy a LW.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnson Matthews Nylander
Kapanen Kadri Bracco

That's a pretty balanced top 9, Hyman AJ Kap and Bracco should all be cheap.

We could trade Marleau to Ottawa for MacArthur. His contract is insured, which means they would only have to pay like 20% of his salary (aka ~900k of it), but if Marleau goes there and retires, they get more cap to help them reach the floor and wouldn't have to pay anything. That's a pretty big assumption, but maybe Marleau is willing to do it. Toss in a decent prospect (maybe someone like Rasanen with some upside but is kind of buried) and you may be able to get something done. Considering you help Ottawa on three fronts (more futures, less real money, more cap money), they may strongly consider it.

Marleau would have to want to retire though. If he's going to play, it's going to be here.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
We could trade Marleau to Ottawa for MacArthur. His contract is insured, which means they would only have to pay like 20% of his salary (aka ~900k of it), but if Marleau goes there and retires, they get more cap to help them reach the floor and wouldn't have to pay anything. That's a pretty big assumption, but maybe Marleau is willing to do it. Toss in a decent prospect (maybe someone like Rasanen with some upside but is kind of buried) and you may be able to get something done. Considering you help Ottawa on three fronts (more futures, less real money, more cap money), they may strongly consider it.

Marleau would have to want to retire though. If he's going to play, it's going to be here.
Look at his minutes, usage and play over the last 30 or so games. I'd argue Moore, Brown and Ennis have all been better than him with less ice time.
If you are a former captain, all star and top 50 in career points it has to be hard to want to keep playing when your talent is going away.
I think the deal was structured to move him this summer. He gets an extra few million more than a 2 year deal, and the Leafs got him for 2 years to help the kids learn to be a 'gud pro'

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Look at his minutes, usage and play over the last 30 or so games. I'd argue Moore, Brown and Ennis have all been better than him with less ice time.
If you are a former captain, all star and top 50 in career points it has to be hard to want to keep playing when your talent is going away.
I think the deal was structured to move him this summer. He gets an extra few million more than a 2 year deal, and the Leafs got him for 2 years to help the kids learn to be a 'gud pro'

From his perspective though, he is still someone who put up 37 points last year and was still extremely healthy. I can see him saying that next year is his last year before retiring (since he will be 40), but he may say that he has enough in the tank to finish off his deal. It won't be about money as much as just wanting to play.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marleau is a selfish person to be honest. His Iron Man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs. He gets to dictate which position he plays and avoids C because of the increased defensive responsibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him demand to play out next year. I can't see Babcock healthy scratching him no matter how bad his play gets.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marleau is a selfish person to be honest. His Iron Man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs. He gets to dictate which position he plays and avoids C because of the increased defensive responsibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him demand to play out next year. I can't see Babcock healthy scratching him no matter how bad his play gets.
it's a travesty when a player wants to honor the contract he signed, too funny.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
it's a travesty when a player wants to honor the contract he signed, too funny.

It's a travesty when his play is 4th line level or worse and he refuses to take some time to rest up for the playoffs because of a stupid streak he has little chance to beat. Team success comes first. If we need him to sit and rest or play C, he needs to shut up and do it.

What happens when he's AHL level next year and refuses to sit?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

Demand to play out next year? Uhhhh....

You mean he is selfish for wanting to be allowed to play the contract he has been awarded from a franchise that reached out to him? A franchised that ask him to help shape this young inexperienced core into young professionals with a good moral compass.... some may say his impact on this core is “invaluable” ..... and not to mention also a contract very well earned through his potential Hall of Fame career is selfish? One to pry him away from the only franchise he ever knew...

Sure, then he is selfish and demanding for signing that contract and wanting to continue to be the Professional he has always presented himself by honouring it.

I agree. His on ice productivity isn’t worth the money, and the kids have learned enough that they could likely do without him next year. But he is here and has provided what managment mostly wanted him for and them some.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Demand to play out next year? Uhhhh....

You mean he is selfish for wanting to be allowed to play the contract he has been awarded from a franchise that reached out to him? A franchised that ask him to help shape this young inexperienced core into young professionals with a good moral compass.... some may say his impact on this core is “invaluable” ..... and not to mention also a contract very well earned through his potential Hall of Fame career is selfish? One to pry him away from the only franchise he ever knew...

Sure, then he is selfish and demanding for signing that contract and wanting to continue to be the Professional he has always presented himself by honouring it.

I agree. His on ice productivity isn’t worth the money, and the kids have learned enough that they could likely do without him next year. But he is here and has provided what managment mostly wanted him for and them some.

I'm not talking about his contract, I'm talking about his ice time. If his play falls even lower than it already has, we will easily have 12+ skaters who are better than him. Is he willing to sit in the pressbox most of the year and give up his little streak? He apparently gets to tell Babcock whether he rests or not based on this year.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I'm not talking about his contract, I'm talking about his ice time. If his play falls even lower than it already has, we will easily have 12+ skaters who are better than him. Is he willing to sit in the pressbox most of the year and give up his little streak? He apparently gets to tell Babcock whether he rests or not based on this year.

But you called him selfish for wanting to honour the contract he was brought here for....

He signed a contract to play, not to sit.

Regardless of his ice time he would be a consumate professional, but of course he wants to play.

If he accepted being a health scratch or felt like he couldnt play he would simply retire.

I guess youre saying he is selfish for believing in himself that he can still play in the NHL and also believing in the franchise and coach that brought him in to bring this team to its next level?

Regardless how you frame it by calling it contract or ice time, you calling him selfish for wanting to play is a bit rediculous.

Reactions: The Magic Man

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But you called him selfish for wanting to honour the contract he was brought here for....

He signed a contract to play, not to sit.

Regardless of his ice time he would be a consumate professional, but of course he wants to play.

If he accepted being a health scratch or felt like he couldnt play he would simply retire.

I guess youre saying he is selfish for believing in himself that he can still play in the NHL and also believing in the franchise and coach that brought him in to bring this team to its next level?

Regardless how you frame it by calling it contract or ice time, you calling him selfish for wanting to play is a bit rediculous.

Please highlight the part where I said anything about a contract. I brought up his streak and reluctance to play C. If the best thing for the team is for him to sit a few games to be fresh for the playoffs, he needs to sit instead of worrying about his streak. If he looks worse next year, he's going to need to sit to stay fresh and look passable. Demanding to play all 82 games and hurt the lineup to keep a little streak alive is absolutely selfish.

You're usually a good poster Chuck, I don't understand why you need to strawman arguments that no one made to defend Marleau's honor.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

:laugh:

His iron man streak matters more to him than being rested for the playoffs? How would you know how his body feels? How do you know he's not rested and feeling fresh? Unless you've seen him limping around after games or something I don't know how a poster on a message forum can come to this conclusion :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad