GDT: Free Agency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Seal the deal
The rangers are not In Toronto or Tampa’s position. They have nearly zero contracts besides Mika, skjei, and trouba past 2021. Plus they will be getting ELC or second deal salaries for their goaltenders for the next number of years.
Sign him. These guys don’t become available too often.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Another great point. If an agent sees that JG is willing to miss out on Panarin because he wouldn't budge on his price, he knows that JG likely isn't going to fold on other negotiations.

An extra 1.5 million on an unquestionably elite 1st line winger is not the same as an extra 1.5 million for a Mats Zuccarello or a Chris Kreider. How many RFAs are we honest to god terrified of losing over an extra $1.5 million that we absolutely can't find elsewhere? Even when the Rangers were at their absolute best and up against the cap, there were obvious moves you could make to clear cap and keep the team in a relatively close spot. This scenario seems like a doomsday fantasy.

See above. It also reinforces his reputation as a GM and that he is not going to be taken advantage of.

There is no doomsday fantasy. It is just sound management. Pay what you're comfortable paying and not a penny more. It isn't about having to clear cap. It is about maintaining flexibility and being able to deal from a position of strength.

Reactions: Inferno and jas

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
I just had a thought. If Panarin at say $10-11mil is already enough to make some of us queasy about signing him, what makes trading the 20th overall for Trouba so that we can sign him at $8mil such a great deal? Panarin is a much better player than Trouba though Trouba is 2-3 years younger but is that really enough to bridge the gap?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Just sign the breadman. These guys don’t become available. He’s 322pts in 320 games. He stepped into the NHL and has been a Ppg player from the moment he walked in.

He doesn’t get enough credit bc he started on a line with Patrick Kane as an unknown xfactor and within 2 seasons was playing for a small market team that knew he was leaving and the NHL never gave him his ‘promo’ due. If he was a young player drafted and playing for a team for 7 seasons, he would have been made into a superstar by NhL pubic relations.

They become available almost yearly. Sometimes several times a year.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
"I wasn't looking to move out some bad contracts the past few days, but that doesn't stop me from offering more bad ones today."

--Joff Gratens

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rangers being the Rangers would not surprise me.

That was always more my concern than them becoming Edmonton/Buffalo/etc.

Reason for my concern, it does not make them the cup winning rosters of Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington/LA/ or even St Louis, it still just makes them the Rangers.

Reactions: Faceless

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I just had a thought. If Panarin at say $10-11mil is already enough to make some of us queasy about signing him, what makes trading the 20th overall for Trouba so that we can sign him at $8mil such a great deal? Panarin is a much better player than Trouba though Trouba is 2-3 years younger but is that really enough to bridge the gap?

RHD is literally the hardest hole in the NHL to fill. We have been trying to fill it for decades.

We have 2 potential elite wingers right now. Elite wingers become available all the time. It is a much easier position to fill. It is also no necessarily going to be the main need of this team when we are ready to compete.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Yes, Trouba plays a premier position. LW is not a premier position

Reactions: LeetchisGod

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Is he 4 million better?

Plus they moved Pionk in that deal who was problem child #2 on our defense.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They become available almost yearly. Sometimes several times a year.

Do they? 27 forwards scored 80+ points this year. Seguin, Kessel, Wheeler, Panarin were the only ones who have ever been traded. Wheeler was not what he is now when he was traded, Kessel has defensive issues and has had issues with managements which leads you just Seguin (before he was established), and Panarin.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Come on guys. We are gonna wait for 2-3 years for kravtsov or kakko to become what panarin is today and will be for the next 5 years.

That’s the equalivant of a lost season and losing a year of contract value on every young player, hoping you land a top 5 pick, and then developing waiting for the guy to become that player.

Believe me, I wanted him at 10.5. The market made that impossible. But I’m not letting the guy go over an extra 1-1.5 million

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Reason for my concern, it does not make them the cup winning rosters of Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington/LA/ or even St Louis, it still just makes them the Rangers.

This view of the organization by the league and other fanbases is what irks me. It's been like 15 years already, and we are still held to that ridiculous double-standard.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I disagree. Paying Panarin $12 million+ would just be old time Rangers bullshit. Sticking to our price and not budging is most definitely not a Rangers thing. It is refreshing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Trouba also fills a role that the Rangers are in short supply of...a top-pairing RHD that can play in all situations. He’s shown he can put up points when he gets PP time. A 50-point, top-pairing RHD, age 25 at $8 million per is a bargain.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Trouba is a top pairing defenseman, he fills a need and it was a steal of a deal.

Panarin, despite being an absolute monster, is a luxury.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
See above. It also reinforces his reputation as a GM and that he is not going to be taken advantage of.

There is no doomsday fantasy. It is just sound management. Pay what you're comfortable paying and not a penny more. It isn't about having to clear cap. It is about maintaining flexibility and being able to deal from a position of strength.
I blame Larry Brooks for his article saying the Rangers won't go over 11 mil or whatever number it was. It took away the leverage.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This view of the organization by the league and other fanbases is what irks me. It's been like 15 years already, and we are still held to that ridiculous double-standard.

The Rangers were being the Rangers for most of the last 15 years. Besides riding Lundqvist, they never drafted very high, several first round busts, no cups, several bad buried signings?

If the barometer for anything good/bad the Rangers do for the rest of the 21st century is what happened from y2k to the 05 lockout, then yeah...they were way less stupid, but..

This is the first year they ever really tried to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad