GDT: Free Agency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And how about how Overcharge (TM Rangerboy) is watching these negotiations right now? He's licking his chops to see if Gorton will fold. Could be looking for 9 for his client.
Another great point. If an agent sees that JG is willing to miss out on Panarin because he wouldn't budge on his price, he knows that JG likely isn't going to fold on other negotiations.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Rangers have done their due diligence with Panarin and made a strong offer. Here's to hoping this team gets that bonafide elite talent in his prime today!

If he chooses otherwise though, no sleep should be lost.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah Gorts needs to shave as much off both Panarin and Trouba to give them as much room as possible heading into the future. It feels like a very dangerous game right now.

Gotta hope that "around 8" comment from Brooks on Troubs was more on the 7.75 and not 8.25

Reactions: RGY

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
1.5 is an overpaid fourth liner a year. who cares? what is 1.5 mill preventing us from from doing ?

if you create a new ceiling of $12m, perhaps Kakko becomes what we all hope for and instead of looking around and seeing Panarin at $10.5m, he sees Panarin at $12m. Now he requests $13m per season in lieu of $11.5m. That $1.5m pushes your internal ceiling upwards.

It also kills$1.5m in cap space. Would we all not prefer Hank at $7m as compared to $8.5m right now? Tat $1.5m is not inconsequential

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
20 million dollars between him and Trouba is a tough pill to swallow for me. That is same old Rangers in a nutshell. I hate the old Rangers. I like the new, smart Rangers.

Not the same.

They are adding these players to a core that includes one of the best prospect systems in the NHL.

Top notch prospects at every position.

Even Trouba at 25 is nothing like the same old Rangers

Reactions: eco's bones

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Exactly. While you won't be signing a Panarin every year, it is about how you negotiate as a GM. $1.5 million here and $500k there adds up quickly. Lets just say that they got Panarin at 10.5 and Trouba at 7.5 vs. 12 and 8. That is an extra $2 million that you now have to spend on a bottom 6 forward if needed or might allow you cap flexibility to sign an RFA higher but longer deal.
An extra 1.5 million on an unquestionably elite 1st line winger is not the same as an extra 1.5 million for a Mats Zuccarello or a Chris Kreider. How many RFAs are we honest to god terrified of losing over an extra $1.5 million that we absolutely can't find elsewhere? Even when the Rangers were at their absolute best and up against the cap, there were obvious moves you could make to clear cap and keep the team in a relatively close spot. This scenario seems like a doomsday fantasy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Frankly, overpaying on the free agent market is what caused Callahan to ask for $7 million for six years. The extra money has an accumulative affect. Look what’s going on in Toronto. Pay the extra $1.5 million to Panarin now, and it’s impact gets felt both now and down the road. I really wish Gorton would have avoided this mess altogether. Although, I do wonder if Gorton is not dropping out just to drive the price up on the Islanders.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
At the moment? Nothing.

2 years from now? Could be a different story.
Okay and 2 years from now are you also able to predict that there's no avenue to clear that extra cap? And what's happening in two years that we need that extra money?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Can someone explain bonuses when it comes to contracts? I am aware bonus heavy contracts are really helpful when it comes to lockouts as they get paid either way. But I hear that the tax benefits of teams like Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Dallas can be washed out if the contract is heavily structured towards bonuses. Why is that?

Also, in terms of buyouts I know its impacted on how much money is left on the contract. Does bonuses have an impact here as well? If you think there is a good chance that you might buyout the last 2 years of a 7 year contract, what would be the best way to structure it?
Because, when you take into account the present value of money (as well as interest from investments, etc.), getting more upfront from a rich team like the Rangers is better than getting it gradually from more budget-conscious teams. Regardless of how much success teams like FLA, TBL, NSH, and DAL have, they're still very much on a budget, and it would be hard to match the contract structure the Rangers could theoretically offer. That helps counteract the fact that those teams have no state tax.

Look at the Weber contract. He got a ton of money up front and in bonuses, because that was the PHI offer sheet that NSH had to match. PHI tried to structure it in such a way that it would be very hard for NSH to match.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Frankly, overpaying on the free agent market is what caused Callahan to ask for $7 million for six years. The extra money has accumulative affect. Look what’s going on in Toronto. Pay the extra $1.5 million to Panarin now, and it’s impact gets felt both now and down the road. I really wish Gorton would have avoided this mess altogether. Although, I do wonder if Gorton is not dropping out just to drive the price up on the Islanders.

As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't see that being the case.

It may cause Lou to go into Lou territories, but the interest is almost certainly genuine.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
OR, you could do both?

But teams don't do that. We see routinely that they overpay those guys. Just look at pretty much all the contracts that are going to be signed today in the 3-4 year range. Ideally, yes, you are right though.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Okay and 2 years from now are you also able to predict that there's no avenue to clear that extra cap? And what's happening in two years that we need that extra money?

Of course you can't predict the entire future but wouldn't having more cap space behoove Gorton? Just caving and giving him $12m seems like a poor choice in a cap world.

Reactions: jas

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Just sign the breadman. These guys don’t become available. He’s 322pts in 320 games. He stepped into the NHL and has been a Ppg player from the moment he walked in.

He doesn’t get enough credit bc he started on a line with Patrick Kane as an unknown xfactor and within 2 seasons was playing for a small market team that knew he was leaving and the NHL never gave him his ‘promo’ due. If he was a young player drafted and playing for a team for 7 seasons, he would have been made into a superstar by NhL pubic relations.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

But thats my point, we don't know.

We've been in a position before where an extra 1.5 million could have been useful. We lost Hagelin for basically nothing because of it.

Now you're right, I'd rather over pay for someone who is high end than overpay for a middle sixer, but those don't have to be the only options.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But teams don't do that. We see routinely that they overpay those guys. Just look at pretty much all the contracts that are going to be signed today in the 3-4 year range. Ideally, yes, you are right though.

I agree, it is difficult to do, but that old adage of 'two wrongs don't make a right' would work here. Just because we don't want Gorton overpyaing the middle-tier guys doesn't mean he should overpay Panarin

Reactions: jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad