GDT: Free Agency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Creating cap space won't be a problem for Gorton. Kreider, Vesey and Namestnikov will have value. Move them and there is enough cap space to go around

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
12 Million for him is absolutely ludicrous. That's like a "challenge my fandom" type of contract.

Thats a bit over the top but thats beyond pushing it.

You need to clear Vesey, Kreider and Namesnikov OR hope you get that 2nd buyout window while moving 2 of the 3 mentioned before (probably vesey and Kreider.)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
being okay with 10.5 but not 12 just makes no sense to me. it’s an elite player. unless you really don’t want him in the first place (which is fine) that 1.5 mill is meaningless.

Reactions: eco's bones

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Thats a bit over the top but thats beyond pushing it.

You need to clear Vesey, Kreider and Namesnikov OR hope you get that 2nd buyout window while moving 2 of the 3 mentioned before (probably vesey and Kreider.)
20 million dollars between him and Trouba is a tough pill to swallow for me. That is same old Rangers in a nutshell. I hate the old Rangers. I like the new, smart Rangers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
being okay with 10.5 but not 12 just makes no sense to me. it’s an elite player. unless you really don’t want him in the first place (which is fine) that 1.5 mill is meaningless.

That $1.5m is a lot of money every year. It also raises the bar for the young players should they become stars. Look at he Leafs

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Can someone explain bonuses when it comes to contracts? I am aware bonus heavy contracts are really helpful when it comes to lockouts as they get paid either way. But I hear that the tax benefits of teams like Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Dallas can be washed out if the contract is heavily structured towards bonuses. Why is that?

Also, in terms of buyouts I know its impacted on how much money is left on the contract. Does bonuses have an impact here as well? If you think there is a good chance that you might buyout the last 2 years of a 7 year contract, what would be the best way to structure it?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
20 million dollars between him and Trouba is a tough pill to swallow for me. That is same old Rangers in a nutshell. I hate the old Rangers. I like the new, smart Rangers.

Eh they're spending money on the right players which hasn't been the case in the past.

The issue is if its the right time and the amount being spent.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It would be easier to stomach if it was something like 11.75 and not 12, just for the optics alone lol

12 is steep, and it puts the Rangers at a disadvantage when trying to get fair value for the players they wish to trade to clear space after the signing.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Eh i dont know i feel like the $1.5 is a big jump in the salary cap world.

Ultimately I think he chooses the Rangers, but just dont know what the numbers will look like.

Will he take the $11.5 with the Rangers with them giving him more money upfront?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Admittedly biased, but if that's what it's down to I don't see why you choose the Islanders.
No big name free agent EVER goes there. Tavares and Anders Lee want(ed/s) out, what makes anyone think Panarin will choose to play there? It's not an attractive landing spot for players. It's not a good organization to play for.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Creating cap space won't be a problem for Gorton. Kreider, Vesey and Namestnikov will have value. Move them and there is enough cap space to go around

Guess who will have the leverage by then? Not Gorton. The board will blow up and have a heart attack over how he got fleeced. Kreider for a 2nd rounder, Vesey for a fifth rounder.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

That $1.5m is a lot of money every year. It also raises the bar for the young players should they become stars. Look at he Leafs

Exactly. While you won't be signing a Panarin every year, it is about how you negotiate as a GM. $1.5 million here and $500k there adds up quickly. Lets just say that they got Panarin at 10.5 and Trouba at 7.5 vs. 12 and 8. That is an extra $2 million that you now have to spend on a bottom 6 forward if needed or might allow you cap flexibility to sign an RFA higher but longer deal.

Reactions: NYR Viper and RGY

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Exactly. While you won't be signing a Panarin every year, it is about how you negotiate as a GM. $1.5 million here and $500k there adds up quickly. Lets just say that they got Panarin at 10.5 and Trouba at 7.5 vs. 12 and 8. That is an extra $2 million that you now have to spend on a bottom 6 forward if needed or might allow you cap flexibility to sign an RFA higher but longer deal.
And how about how Overcharge (TM Rangerboy) is watching these negotiations right now? He's licking his chops to see if Gorton will fold. Could be looking for 9 for his client.

Reactions: jas

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Guess who will have the leverage by then? Not Gorton. The board will blow up and have a heart attack over how he got fleeced. Kreider for a 2nd rounder, Vesey for a fifth rounder.

I am sure Gorton knows the market for his players. All it takes is 2 bidders to create value. He will also have the option of a buyout and could just wait patiently.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I cant imagine this is some hot take, I havent read the forum in a couple days. But Panarin+Isles makes absolutely no sense to me... The little extra money they are potentially offering can't possibly be worth choosing the Isles over the Rangers. Why would you choose Isles over Columbus? Especially if money is a big issue, as they are a better franchise and offering a better contract? I think the only reason the Isles are even in the conversation is that Panarin's agent is trying to scare the Rangers to up their offer to prevent him from going to a rival. I am not saying this from a viewpoint that I really want Panarin badly and trying to talk myself into believing its a sure thing. I really dont care either way if he signs or not. If I were in his shoes, I would go to Colorado. But the Isles makes no sense to me, makes me believe he already chose the Rangers, and is just trying to get a bigger contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad