GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Ott really could be the target of the Flyers once Vinny is traded. But does he play on the fourth line or does he play on the second line? If they try out Schenn on the first line Ott could very well be the Flyers second line center.

Evergreen

I want Kulemin or Vrbata. Both guys are still out there. I do not want Steve Ott. He'd just bring more of that Hartnell/Downie crazy **** that we just got rid of.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
say we could shed someone like grossman, would anyone hate a "show me" one year kind of deal for MDZ? maybe he could use a fresh starte

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Could someone do a brief rundown on the list of remaining free agents? People have expressed interest in Winnik, Vrbata, McClement, Ott, Fiddler, and Grabovski. Other than those players, is there anyone remaining who would fit in well on the Flyers?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The annoying thing is that all of these idiotic signings by dumbass teams are going to drive up the prices of all contracts because people will say "Well, Im better than ****** Orpik and he's making THAT much, so I deserve more" until those contracts don't even look bad anymore because the actually decent people will be making so much more.

... why couldn't these idiots overpay for our bad players instead of the bad FA players...?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't want Ott sorry to the few that want him here but I seriously hope we don't bring him in. I don't care if he's a decent hockey player. I can't root for a clown like that in O&B.

Edit: also lol at that video, Jack Edwards gets so emotionally involved.

I think Ott would be a very good pickup.

He's exactly the kind of guy I think Philly would love. Not sure why there's so much hostility.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Preds fans are becoming increasingly receptive to acquiring Lecavalier. Lots of them think it's their best option at this point. Hopefully their GM mirrors that sentiment.

It's amazing how much better our situation looks if we could just get VL and Grossmann off the books:

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Steve Ott ($2.250m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($0.600m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m)
Jason Akeson ($0.900m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)
Tim Gleason ($1.150m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,665,000; BONUSES: $1,830,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,335,000

Wouldn't that be nice? Some decent signings, and room left to spare!

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I'd take it a step further and just plug Akeson in Stempniak's spot. I think he deserves a chance as a regular.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
Could someone do a brief rundown on the list of remaining free agents? People have expressed interest in Winnik, Vrbata, McClement, Ott, Fiddler, and Grabovski. Other than those players, is there anyone remaining who would fit in well on the Flyers?

This list seems to be up to date:http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

Galiardi and Kulemin are guys I'd add to the names you've mentioned; Powe isn't talked about much, but he would be a decent retread. Grabo would be nice, but he's fairly inconsistent, and I think he'll cost too much.

I'd stay away from Ott. We've been making jokes about him, but I honestly think he's a small upgrade of Hall with the bad attributes of Rinaldo attached--all while raking in more money. I don't know enough about Fiddler to comment.

I'm starting to get a "whistle past the graveyard" feeling when I see Alfie's name on that list.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
say we could shed someone like grossman, would anyone hate a "show me" one year kind of deal for MDZ? maybe he could use a fresh starte

I'm probably in the minority around here, but I'd have no problems with Del Zotto. He's shown that with the right coach (re: someone who has to keep on top of him), he's a capable defender and able to produce points from the back end. It's clear he had a bad year this year and that he was in Vigneault's dog house right from the get go and when he got to Nashville, his game (not to mention, his mental state) was a mess. So, I don't see a problem taking a chance on a defenseman who just turned 24 and now has all the motivation in the world to prove those other two franchises wrong.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think Ott would be a very good pickup.

He's exactly the kind of guy I think Philly would love. Not sure why there's so much hostility.

Because the guys who want him seem to not have watched Ott the past two years... Where he has been pretty bad. The dude has really slowed down. He's most likely a 4th line guy at best at this time.

krasy

Nov 9, 2013
So if it's true we try to trade VL and his salary, just to get Ott, who made 3.0 M last 4 years?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm probably in the minority around here, but I'd have no problems with Del Zotto. He's shown that with the right coach (re: someone who has to keep on top of him), he's a capable defender and able to produce points from the back end. It's clear he had a bad year this year and that he was in Vigneault's dog house right from the get go and when he got to Nashville, his game (not to mention, his mental state) was a mess. So, I don't see a problem taking a chance on a defenseman who just turned 24 and now has all the motivation in the world to prove those other two franchises wrong.

I would take the chance if it's cheap too. He would be our youngest Dman and does have skill.

As for Ott, I would rather a guy with less "personality". Would rather a guy like Winnik on the wing and add someone like McClemment as a 4th line C.

ayshplaysh

Jul 2, 2011
I'm frankly hoping that we just trade VL and don't sign Ott. Nothing against Ott, in-fact for the right price I'd be on board, but I'd really like to see us just roll Giroux-Schenn-Couturier-Lauhgton steady down the middle for once...

krasy

Nov 9, 2013
I'm frankly hoping that we just trade VL and don't sign Ott. Nothing against Ott, in-fact for the right price I'd be on board, but I'd really like to see us just roll Giroux-Schenn-Couturier-Lauhgton steady down the middle for once...

Yes, plus if we trade Vinny than better go after a top6 LW.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

This. If Laughton really is a long term option at the three spot, then use him there. This team should be concerned with building a contender for 2-3 years from now. Let Laughton learn the position rather than getting stuck behind Ott for a couple of years.

That and I really can't stand that JO.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
No to:

Ott

Yes to:

Winnik
Galiardi
Fiddler
Ryan Jones
Ryan Carter
Tom Pyatt
Kulimen
Grabovski

I think the KEY for the TEAM is to have a true shutdown 4th.
D by committee, until the 'kids' are ready.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we got Del Zotto he would just take Gus's still warm spot in the pressbox. Berube wants the team to be as slow and unskilled as possible, the only way you can get past that is to force has hand and take away his slow ****** players like Lecavelier, Hartnell, Downie, Emery, and Grossmann.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Ott has really regressed the last couple seasons or so and bringing him in would feel like the opposite of what I want for this team. That's why I don't want him.

I'm also tired of these guys who lack skill but "make up for it" in peest abilities or toughness or minor penalties. Tired of that archaic BSB mentality.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ott has really regressed the last couple seasons or so and bringing him in would feel like the opposite of what I want for this team. That's why I don't want him.

I'm also tired of these guys who lack skill but "make up for it" in peest abilities or toughness or minor penalties. Tired of that archaic BSB mentality.

It has nothing to do with the archaic BSB mentality. Ott has always been a bottom six guy with a fair amount of skill, good faceoff ability and a very good two way game. The fact that he's annoying as all hell is just another thing he brings. He had one crappy season last year playing on a horrific Buffalo team and as a bad fit in St. Louis.

I don't want him here, but it has nothing to do with the BSB mentality. I just want Laughton to take over that role and get comfortable with it. If we're really going to contend in a couple of seasons, Laughton needs to have established himself as a good to great third line center in this league. Might as welll get him started now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad