GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So far, this offseason is a success only if the first objective was: Don't do anything stupid. Signing Zepp and Jones for the Phantoms are forgettable, and I'm underwhelmed with Emery as back-up / Mason's buddy.

I enjoy and appreciate the lack of splashy deals that we will all be lamenting before the season even starts. However, I'm looking forward to something that moves this team forward. Call me fickle. I'm trying to console myself that patience will indeed be the right move to get a great deal for Lecavalier, Grossmann, etc.

This waiting stuff. It's hard.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
So far, this offseason is a success only if the first objective was: Don't do anything stupid. Signing Zepp and Jones for the Phantoms are forgettable, and I'm underwhelmed with Emery as back-up / Mason's buddy.

I enjoy and appreciate the lack of splashy deals that we will all be lamenting before the season even starts. However, I'm looking forward to something that moves this team forward. Call me fickle. I'm trying to console myself that patience will indeed be the right move to get a great deal for Lecavalier, Grossmann, etc.

This waiting stuff. It's hard.

If Homer was this patient we wouldn't have had a stupid deal every off-season. Like no Bryzgslov or Lecavalier, for example.

Literally the only thing I can actually get on Hextall for so far is a Emery and that's a relatively minor thing honestly. If he fails to sign anyone decent then I'll definitely start to worry, but there's a whole summer for that. As for Lecavalier, it's been widely reported were waiting till the signing bonus is dealt with. It's also Homers leftover trash Hextall is dealing with here, hard to get angry at him for it.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Steve Ott.

I sure hope Nott.

ew. rather have vrbata

say no to that idiot Steve Ott.

Seconded. I want no part of Ott.

If we sign Ott, then **** this off season

If they sign him, I will buy a Nott jersey, but I really don't want to.

Well then all you guys will just have to be pissed when they sign Steve Ott. :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Vincent Lecavalier received his $2 mil bonus today. Perhaps, a trade easier to facilitate now with that detail out of the way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Vincent Lecavalier received his $2 mil bonus today. Perhaps, a trade easier to facilitate now with that detail out of the way.

post-8384-139623855777.gif

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
I'd really like McClement, Gleason and possibly Penner. That of course would have to be after trading Vinny and probably Grossman. We need some size with Giroux and Penner could fill that role and shouldn't be big money.

Penner-28-93
17-10-42
24-14-Umberger
12-McClement-15

32-5
47-Gleason
44-22

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Fistric for Vinny work for you guys?

Although, Murray is probably content to go into the season with Rakell and Thompson as our bottom 2 centers. :help:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Fistric for Vinny work for you guys?

Although, Murray is probably content to go into the season with Rakell and Thompson as our bottom 2 centers. :help:

What's wrong with Rakell and Thompson as your bottom two centers? Especially when your top two centers are Getzlaf and Perry...

Lecavalier would be walking into a very similar situation in Anaheim if that were to happen.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
What's wrong with Rakell and Thompson as your bottom two centers? Especially when your top two centers are Getzlaf and Perry...

Lecavalier would be walking into a very similar situation in Anaheim if that were to happen.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable handing the 3rd line center duties to a rookie. Rather make Rakell earn his spot on the team either on the wing or by supplanting Thompson. We lost 120 points of production down the middle between Bonino/Perreault/Koivu. Kesler I think, will put up 60 or so, but there's still a lot of offense that needs to be replaced IMO. Plus, it sounds like we're trying to get rid of one of Fistric/Allen after signing Stoner.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Getzlaf and Kesler, I hate to be that guy sorry lol

:laugh: :p:

I just wouldn't feel comfortable handing the 3rd line center duties to a rookie. Rather make Rakell earn his spot on the team either on the wing or by supplanting Thompson. We lost 120 points of production, down the middle between Bonino/Perreault/Koivu. Kesler I think, will put up 60 or so, but there's still a lot of offense that needs to be replaced IMO. Plus, it sounds like we're trying to get rid of one of Fistric/Allen after signing Stoner.

That's fair, but playing a rookie is significantly mitigated by the awesome, responsible veteran center depth that you have.

I don't think Lecavalier would be your solution. His problem in Philly is that we just don't have the role to give him for his skills to be effective. Doesn't seem like you guys would either. With Getzlaf and Kesler getting the lion's share of the ice time, Lecavalier would get the weaker linemates with lesser minutes and just turn into a body who is taking up space like he is in Philly.

He needs to go to a team that can actually give him top six ice time so he can at least be a productive scoring forward.

That being said, I would take Fistric for him for sure.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I really am finding it harder and harder to imagine we have no takers for Lecavalier.

His contract isn't THAT bad. 4.5m/4yrs for a 20 goal scorer is actually a bargain compared to the complete **** show we saw today.

A 37 year old Iginla just got a very similar contract relative to their respective production numbers.

Then add on to that some extremely odd trades in the last 48 hours, and I would not be shocked at all if we get a solid pick in return. I really don't think we're going to be paying for someone to take him.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
:laugh: :p:

That's fair, but playing a rookie is significantly mitigated by the awesome, responsible veteran center depth that you have.

I don't think Lecavalier would be your solution. His problem in Philly is that we just don't have the role to give him for his skills to be effective. Doesn't seem like you guys would either. With Getzlaf and Kesler getting the lion's share of the ice time, Lecavalier would get the weaker linemates with lesser minutes and just turn into a body who is taking up space like he is in Philly.

He needs to go to a team that can actually give him top six ice time so he can at least be a productive scoring forward.

That being said, I would take Fistric for him for sure.

Surrounding him with quality line-mates wouldn't be a huge issue, and he could occupy the minutes Perreault played for us last year both at ES and on the PP. Kesler would take on Koivu's shut down role at even strength and on the PK, as well as Bonino's PP time. This top 9 I think is our best case scenario, at this point.

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Silf
Maroon-Vinny-Palmieri

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I really am finding it harder and harder to imagine we have no takers for Lecavalier.

His contract isn't THAT bad. 4.5m/4yrs for a 20 goal scorer is actually a bargain compared to the complete **** show we saw today.

A 37 year old Iginla just got a very similar contract relative to their respective production numbers.

Then add on to that some extremely odd trades in the last 48 hours, and I would not be shocked at all if we get a solid pick in return. I really don't think we're going to be paying for someone to take him.

I imagine he could either fetch or low value return or basically be given for free. So if he isn't moved I have to imagine it's because Hextall actually wants good value for him. Which would just be silly.

As far as these deals around the league go, you and me both said at one point today. Having power doesn't preclude a person from being incompetent or stupid. I imagine there's many upper management that are terrible at their jobs to sub-par and today kind of reinforced that with how absolutely terrible some of these trades and signings were. Fringe NHL guys like Glass got multi-year deals, Bolland got a five year deal at a premium hit, Spezza and Kesler were basically given away for free, etc.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
IMO the Flyers are in a pretty bad spot, average team not bad enough for a good pick, and not good enough to compete for the cup

I would look to (obviously) be rid of the bad contracts (you know who they are) and bring along are defense in the next 2 years. After that, along with the cap rising, we should be in good shape to make an impact in free agency, having 2-4 of our defenders on ELC contracts.

Our core of offensive players should still be here barring trade, and hopefully locked up to good contracts (with cap rising, and defense on a few ELCs)

In that time I envision Couts and Voracek becoming better overall players, which is important. With the added cap space the Flyers can acquire some good players to aid through free agency. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but if Bobby Ryan wants to come here (speculation) we could do it by all means, and still have cap left for other acquisitions.

I just feel we're on the right path (strengthening our defense) and moving out contracts that don't fit our core, or plan (speed seems to be an emphasis)

If we're a bubble team, and we could ship off Kimmo to a legit contender for a late 1st I would do it.. and I felt they should have a few years ago instead of resigning him.

To summarize: Clear bad contracts, lock up core players to friendly hits with cap rising, bring along our defense responsibly, have cap space to push the "core" over the top in upcoming free agency's.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
IMO the Flyers are in a pretty bad spot, average team not bad enough for a good pick, and not good enough to compete for the cup

I would look to (obviously) be rid of the bad contracts (you know who they are) and bring along are defense in the next 2 years. After that, along with the cap rising, we should be in good shape to make an impact in free agency, having 2-4 of our defenders on ELC contracts.

Our core of offensive players should still be here barring trade, and hopefully locked up to good contracts (with cap rising, and defense on a few ELCs)

In that time I envision Couts and Voracek becoming better overall players, which is important. With the added cap space the Flyers can acquire some good players to aid through free agency. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but if Bobby Ryan wants to come here (speculation) we could do it by all means, and still have cap left for other acquisitions.

I just feel we're on the right path (strengthening our defense) and moving out contracts that don't fit our core, or plan (speed seems to be an emphasis)

If we're a bubble team, and we could ship off Kimmo to a legit contender for a late 1st I would do it.. and I felt they should have a few years ago instead of resigning him.

To summarize: Clear bad contracts, lock up core players to friendly hits with cap rising, bring along our defense responsibly, have cap space to push the "core" over the top in upcoming free agency's.

You''re spot on and preaching to the choir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad