GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Timonen isn't getting traded unless we're surely out of the playoff race.

Maybe so, but if Ghost comes up mid season and can take on that role, for that return, it's something to think about.
Before he signed his last contract (lockout season?) A lot of people thought it logically made sense to trade him for a pick, and re-sign him after the season.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I imagine he could either fetch or low value return or basically be given for free. So if he isn't moved I have to imagine it's because Hextall actually wants good value for him. Which would just be silly.

As far as these deals around the league go, you and me both said at one point today. Having power doesn't preclude a person from being incompetent or stupid. I imagine there's many upper management that are terrible at their jobs to sub-par and today kind of reinforced that with how absolutely terrible some of these trades and signings were. Fringe NHL guys like Glass got multi-year deals, Bolland got a five year deal at a premium hit, Spezza and Kesler were basically given away for free, etc.
Seriously. Bolland at his price especially on the heels of the mega failure we saw from Clarkson last year. Orpik got a significant raise on a contract that was already overpaying him. Kyle freaking Quincey just got a raise for being a terrible, terrible defender (4.25m!). Shawn Thornton and Tanner Glass were actually targeted while names like Goc, Ott, McClement, and Winnik were left waiting or accepting lesser offers.

I don't know. I get seeing bad contracts on July 1st; that is to be expected, but today took it to another level. There is a lot that just happened that is simply indefensible. It goes beyond just being uninformed or even just being bad at your job...these guys are actually making transactions that have no reasonable explanation whatsoever. It's cool that the Flyers were on the sidelines today, but for some reason I am still totally disheartened that the decision makers in a $4b league can be this mind numbingly incompetent.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Seriously. Bolland at his price especially on the heels of the mega failure we saw from Clarkson last year. Orpik got a significant raise on a contract that was already overpaying him. Kyle freaking Quincey just got a raise for being a terrible, terrible defender (4.25m!). Shawn Thornton and Tanner Glass were actually targeted while names like Goc, Ott, McClement, and Winnik were left waiting or accepting lesser offers.

I don't know. I get seeing bad contracts on July 1st; that is to be expected, but today took it to another level. There is a lot that just happened that is simply indefensible. It goes beyond just being uninformed or even just being bad at your job...these guys are actually making transactions that have no reasonable explanation whatsoever. It's cool that the Flyers were on the sidelines today, but for some reason I am still totally disheartened that the decision makers in a $4b league can be this mind numbingly incompetent.

In with ya... esp with the buyouts expiring this year, correct?
Looks like teams are going to be stuck with some ridiculous contracts.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
This is actually good news IMO. I think it shows that Hextall may have a trade for Vinny lined up. Still glad we didn't get Richards though.

Hexy must have something, because otherwise how does he plan to even sign this supposed other guy their looking at?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Florida's main goal today was to just prove to the league that they aren't a bunch of poors anymore because pretty much nothing they did made sense.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also I am starting to think that they are looking at our D and actually like it. Something along the lines of "MacD starts the season on the D now and now a full preseason and maybe this D meshes. Also maybe Schenn and Grossmann turn it around"

I really do think they like the D. Including Grossmann

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also I am starting to think that they are looking at our D and actually like it. Something along the lines of "MacD starts the season on the D now and now a full preseason and maybe this D meshes. Also maybe Schenn and Grossmann turn it around"

I really do think they like the D. Including Grossmann

I don't think he wants to bank on a young guy making the team at this point, these guys can always be traded at a later date if someone does indeed step up at camp. If we trade one of them now & no one steps up we're either forcing a young player to play in a situation he's not ready for or we're signing some JO off the street when the free agent market will be really dried up by that point.

Also in Grossmann's case if he can bounce back from his injury & play like he did prior to last year you go from trading him for scraps to possibly getting something of value same could go for Schenn as well.

Last edited:

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
Hextall did say he was looking at a forward and a dman but was waiting to see if they can get them cheaper then what they are going for right now. And I think they have to move some salary first mainly Vinny.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
It was great sitting back and enjoying all those dumb contracts handed out for once.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
@billmeltzer
Hextall: "We've got a couple [UFAs] we're still looking at if we can get in the right range; one guy specifically."

Thanks.

Sounds like Ott to me. Don't know why so many are against that. He gives us everything we got from Hall and does it all twice as good. Why not? Especially when the going rate for strong 4Cs is apparently between 1.2 and 1.5m (Goc and Moore). And with injury, he can skate in the top nine. What's not to want?

Also, credit to Hextall for waiting out the storm. He knows we need space, and it sounds like it's not a major concern which leads me to be optimistic. I disagree with his handling of the backup situation, but his nonaction the rest of the day gives him a passing grade so far.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Yeah me and others said it, but this is the worst free agency I've ever seen and it very well may be the worst one in the cap era. It's also weird just because there were so many of them and all of then were completely indefensible. Like Vinny getting the contract he got with us was bad at first sight to me, but at least there was plausible upside and reasoning. Lots of these deals like Bolland, Quincey, Orpik, Glass, Etc. are just utterly and transparently indefensible from teams around the league.

Most people won't look at it this way but it is actually upsetting to me at least that people can be this stupid and run multi million dollar franchises in a pro sports league. It's also part of how the last lockout came about and why all the teams got two compliance buyouts so you would have thought the league would be smarter about these contracts by now. Lots of logistical fan reasons to be upset about today in addition to some more personal ones.

Honestly, if I were a Caps fan today I'd be livid and ready to switch teams. They waited forever for the previous GM to go bye-bye then almost immediately after a new one comes in then come the Orpik/Niskanen deals. That's like getting your first paycheck then being immediately fired.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah me and others said it, but this is the worst free agency I've ever seen and it very well may be the worst one in the cap era. It's also weird just because there were so many of them and all of then were completely indefensible. Like Vinny getting the contract he got with us was bad at first sight to me, but at least there was plausible upside and reasoning. Lots of these deals like Bolland, Quincey, Orpik, Glass, Etc. are just utterly and transparently indefensible from teams around the league.

Most people won't look at it this way but it is actually upsetting to me at least that people can be this stupid and run multi million dollar franchises in a pro sports league. It's also part of how the last lockout came about and why all the teams got two compliance buyouts so you would have thought the league would be smarter about these contracts by now. Lots of logistical fan reasons to be upset about today in addition to some more personal ones.

Honestly, if I were a Caps fan today I'd be livid and ready to switch teams. They waited forever for the previous GM to go bye-bye then almost immediately after a new one comes in then come the Orpik/Niskanen deals. That's like getting your first paycheck then being immediately fired.

Hola Todos!

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Totally agree. I didn't come right out and say that at first because I didn't want to seem melodramatic, but I am also pretty upset by what we saw today. It's reckless and irresponsible. It's not even so much about teams crossing lines with silly contracts-- it's about GMs offering massive deals to players like Bolland and Orpik one year after David Clarkson was handed a megadeal that fell flat on its face. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to do that? I agree, I find it extremely frustrating and upsetting that these are the people in charge of major franchises.

Also, as a related point, I'd love to do a study on the success of GMs with no professional playing experience versus GMs who played extended professional careers. Basically, I'd like to compare the guys who became GMs for their shrewd business sense, legal expertise, etc. against the guys who became GMs for their playing experience and connections within the league. My hypothesis is that the lawyers and nerds would have heaps more success in the post-cap world. Probably don't even need a study to prove it-- Stan Bowman and Dean Lombardi are the two most successful and neither have pro experience...

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
We just had a lockout because owners claimed they were losing money and now they're handing out multi year huge contracts to average players. Can't wait till the next lockout. Smh

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks.

Sounds like Ott to me. Don't know why so many are against that. He gives us everything we got from Hall and does it all twice as good. Why not? Especially when the going rate for strong 4Cs is apparently between 1.2 and 1.5m (Goc and Moore). And with injury, he can skate in the top nine. What's not to want?

Also, credit to Hextall for waiting out the storm. He knows we need space, and it sounds like it's not a major concern which leads me to be optimistic. I disagree with his handling of the backup situation, but his nonaction the rest of the day gives him a passing grade so far.

This is the guy you want to be cheering for?

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

That happened in 2008. In 2009 Hartnell boarded the **** out of Avery than proceeded to lose the fight against him afterwards. Sometimes pests do crazy things. Ott's matured quite a bit and has no issue dropping the gloves now.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I don't deny that he's a piece of ****, but I don't think his typical antics can be considered "dirty" or malicious. Everything in that video is only annoying. I can get on board with having a super pest like Ott. Especially if he's one that can play.

I would not be on board with having players like Neal, Kaleta, etc., though. Those are truly malicious players. Ott is not close to them, annoying as he may be.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I really am finding it harder and harder to imagine we have no takers for Lecavalier.

His contract isn't THAT bad. 4.5m/4yrs for a 20 goal scorer is actually a bargain compared to the complete **** show we saw today.

A 37 year old Iginla just got a very similar contract relative to their respective production numbers.

Then add on to that some extremely odd trades in the last 48 hours, and I would not be shocked at all if we get a solid pick in return. I really don't think we're going to be paying for someone to take him.

After what I've seen I'd rather keep him and gamble he has a decent season and get more at the deadline. No reason we shouldn't get value for him at all. Especially after today

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't want Ott sorry to the few that want him here but I seriously hope we don't bring him in. I don't care if he's a decent hockey player. I can't root for a clown like that in O&B.

Edit: also lol at that video, Jack Edwards gets so emotionally involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad