Value of: Frederik Andersen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's in a tough spot because for the second year in a row Kyle Dubas has set him up with a pretty green backup goalie, one who most likely won't be able to play the usual 25-30 games expected of most competent backups.

I mean, Hutch COULD hit that target this season, but I'm willing to bet the Leafs have a much shorter leash on him.

So that means Freddie's going to be overworked, again, and it'll cost the Leafs in the playoffs, again.

Will he be the scapegoat for their failures? He shouldn't be, but there always needs to be a fall guy and if Babcock continues to shrug off criticism, it'll fall to the goalie.
Yeah that's kinda how I see it... Do the leafs have any goalies in their system really? Or is resigning Andersen a must

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
How can you tell if the Leafs lost the night before?

There will be a fan trying to ship whoever had a bad game out of town on the trade board shortly after.

I guess you didn't read the prefix huh? Or do you just like hearing yourself talk.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Tuukka Rask just set the record for most wins ever recorded by a Toronto Maple Leaf draft pick in the history of the franchise.

None of the wins were recorded for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Tukka never suited up for the Leafs so actually he was traded away before he played 1 game in the NHL. So no the Leafs didn't trade away a young elite goalie.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Need to resign him regardless.
3 x 4+ are Tripod said is fair.
It's my opinion he is not in the upper echelon of goalies.
It's too bad Burke traded that 2nd round pick for a bag of hammers, or we'd be rolling with John Gibson, an elite goalie.

Organizationally the Goalie position is suspect to say the least. I'm not convinced Woll or anyone else has a chance at being an elite goalie.
That's not how it works. That doesn't mean you were getting Gibson.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Exactly! Gibson was never on the market, Andersen became expandable because of Gibson's development.
That as well. I think the poster was referring to Gibson being the 2nd round pick they gave up when swapping 1st& 2nd with the Duck's earlier 1st in 2011.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s a much better goalie than most Leaf fans give him credit for. Pretty much every goalie goes through cold and hot streaks. But a lot of the teams are more committed to team defense so it protects the goalies more when they have those cold streaks. Andersen doesn’t get that same protection so his cold streaks really stand out.
The team in front of him is highly skilled but still needs to buy into playing strong two way hockey. If they do then Andersen is good enough to win it all with.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
What does that have to do with anything?

They traded away Tuukka Rask. Whether he suited up for them or not is irrelevant.

It has everything to do with it! You never know what you have in a draft pick. Yeah they made a made mistake by trading an unknown player for a Calder trophy winner but hey every team in the NHL makes mistakes like that. Back up all your hate posts for one team.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
He’s a much better goalie than most Leaf fans give him credit for. Pretty much every goalie goes through cold and hot streaks. But a lot of the teams are more committed to team defense so it protects the goalies more when they have those cold streaks. Andersen doesn’t get that same protection so his cold streaks really stand out.
The team in front of him is highly skilled but still needs to buy into playing strong two way hockey. If they do then Andersen is good enough to win it all with.

Actually most Leaf fans know how good he's been. We all know without him we would have lost a lot more games. My thread is about how other fan bases value him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Actually most Leaf fans know how good he's been. We all know without him we would have lost a lot more games. My thread is about how other fan bases value him.
Maybe you have a vocal minority of Leaf fans then. I read a lot of posts saying they can’t win with him.
Personally I’d have him in the top 10 or so goalies which is good enough to win with.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Werent Leaf fans happy with him last year? I remember seeing people saying he was saving their ass left and right all season long.

Reactions: Torontoborn

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Werent Leaf fans happy with him last year? I remember seeing people saying he was saving their ass left and right all season long.
Andersen fluctuates between elite and subpar. The last few years he’s struggled and started the season cold. He’s also been criticized for needing a large sample size to maintain his elite play, and has yet to prove he can handle high pressure situations with some questionable playoff performances during elimination games.

That being said the Leafs aren’t exactly overflowing with depth in the goalie department and despite the HF narrative multiple teams have discovered how hard it is to find a goalie of his caliber. Goalies are unpredictable with high end prospects like Subban struggling at the NHL level, or top UFAs faltering with their new team. It’s not a good move for the leafs to give up on their starter. He’s probably one of our most essential players.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Just getting a feeler out there of what people from other fan bases think of Freddy. His contract will be up at the end of next season and will most likely command huge dollars at least Bob type of money. The Leafs have young Woll in the minors who will hopefully take the next step in his development. I love Freddy he has his been the backbone of this team for years but it looks like the Leafs will have to make a tough decision.
Why would he get Bob money? He doesn’t have the awards like Bob does.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Need to resign him regardless.
3 x 4+ are Tripod said is fair.
It's my opinion he is not in the upper echelon of goalies.
It's too bad Burke traded that 2nd round pick for a bag of hammers, or we'd be rolling with John Gibson, an elite goalie.

Organizationally the Goalie position is suspect to say the least. I'm not convinced Woll or anyone else has a chance at being an elite goalie.
Hindsight is 20/20. Who’s to say they would have drafted Gibson?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Andersen is the guy this year.

But they also probably won't re-sign him, imo. I know everyone has their Dubas jokes but young forwards are relatively predictable and safe investments. On the other hand, long-term deals for goalies in their 30s are incredibly unpredictable and risky. Most analytics people would tell you to run from those deals. Andersen has been very good with the Leafs overall and I'm betting another team will offer him more than the Leafs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It has everything to do with it! You never know what you have in a draft pick. Yeah they made a made mistake by trading an unknown player for a Calder trophy winner but hey every team in the NHL makes mistakes like that. Back up all your hate posts for one team.

Yeah, what a shock it must have been when that goalie they took in the first round turned out to be good.

Just like Quebec was floored to discover that Eric Lindros ended up being a bonafide NHLer.

Nobody could have seen it coming.

Reactions: Spazkat

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What are you talking about?

I'm talking about fans calling the team a "contender" despite them never having won a playoff round.

I'm talking about fans pretending Auston Matthews is a top two or three player in the league and him being paid as such.

I'm talking about fans asking if the Maple Leafs power play was going to be the "best ever in the history of the league."

I'm talking about fans claiming last season that Rielly was having a Norris Trophy season and Andersen would be nominated for a Vezina.

Just look at these boards, there's a long history of some Maple Leaf fans lauding accolades and credit on the team for things they simply haven't achieved yet.

Reactions: theblackadder

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Just getting a feeler out there of what people from other fan bases think of Freddy. His contract will be up at the end of next season and will most likely command huge dollars at least Bob type of money. The Leafs have young Woll in the minors who will hopefully take the next step in his development. I love Freddy he has his been the backbone of this team for years but it looks like the Leafs will have to make a tough decision.
he's up in 2 years and nobody knows what the cap will look like then ...repost in 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad