Value of: Frederik Andersen

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Just getting a feeler out there of what people from other fan bases think of Freddy. His contract will be up at the end of next season and will most likely command huge dollars at least Bob type of money. The Leafs have young Woll in the minors who will hopefully take the next step in his development. I love Freddy he has his been the backbone of this team for years but it looks like the Leafs will have to make a tough decision.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs are going to do everything they can to re-sign him I imagine. But he will be 32 to start the contract and I think the Leafs tell him he needs to choose $ or the chance to win with them.

If they are lucky, Woll has a good year this year, then is a backup the following year so they at least have an idea how quickly he could be ready.

Leafs will want a 3 year type deal....Freddy a 4+. It could be a cup winning or losing decision.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Need to resign him regardless.
3 x 4+ are Tripod said is fair.
It's my opinion he is not in the upper echelon of goalies.
It's too bad Burke traded that 2nd round pick for a bag of hammers, or we'd be rolling with John Gibson, an elite goalie.

Organizationally the Goalie position is suspect to say the least. I'm not convinced Woll or anyone else has a chance at being an elite goalie.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He doesn't have 2 Vezina trophies like Bobrovsky does so he shouldn't be payed like him.
Yeah that doesnt matter at all. What a player is worth and what they can get in free agency have NOTHING to do with each other. If there is a need for goalies in FA and Andersen is the best option he will be paid extremely well and most like 1-3m more then he is worth.

Reactions: HabsQC

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Oh man, if I'm Freddy I run this one all the way to the bank. Hes probably going to be the 2nd best UFA goalie expiring in 2021. The one thing the Leafs have going for them is that theres a lot of goalies expiring. Maybe they can finally sign Rask.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Need to resign him regardless.
3 x 4+ are Tripod said is fair.
It's my opinion he is not in the upper echelon of goalies.
It's too bad Burke traded that 2nd round pick for a bag of hammers, or we'd be rolling with John Gibson, an elite goalie.

Organizationally the Goalie position is suspect to say the least. I'm not convinced Woll or anyone else has a chance at being an elite goalie.

If by "4+" you mean "over 6" then yes I can see that being fair.

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
If by "4+" you mean "over 6" then yes I can see that being fair.
If it's north of 6, then so be it, but I still don't think he's elite.
We have no viable replacement right now.
That may change, but I doubt it.
This Organization hasn't drafted a decent goalie since Tuuka, which we promptly traded away.

Who knows where our cap will be, I suppose it will depend on what we do with Muzzin and Barrie, I have a hard time believing the leafs let Freddy walk regardless.

We can and we will.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There are too many factors. The cap will go up by the time he can be extended. He will be 31 years old.

I would guess something in the 6M-7M range over 6+ years. Top level starters like Rinne and Fleury have received 7 million dollar cap hits. They are older, so they are shorter term deals.

I don't think it makes sense for the Leafs to trade him, if that's what you're asking in terms of value. Even if they let him walk, keeping him as their starter for two more years would be worth more to them than whatever futures they'd get in a trade.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
No way does he get anywhere near Bob money, Leafs will probably re-sign. what other options do they have? Unless they make a trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Andersen is likely getting long-term at about $7 million on his next deal. He's not going to get close to Bobrovsky money but he's going to get right in line with goalies like Jones and Fleury.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
In the last three seasons, he's played 66-66-60 games and has a SV Pct of .918-.918-.917.

Unless he completely bombs this year (or next year), Andersen is going to get his fair value, which is around 6.5-7.5 million per year on a 4-5 year deal.

I'm sure his agent is curious as to what Brayden Holtby will sign for as they're pretty decent comparables....although Andersen does have better stats the last two seasons.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
No way does he get anywhere near Bob money, Leafs will probably re-sign. what other options do they have? Unless they make a trade

Yeah but only Toronto is dumb enough to trade away elite young goalies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If it's north of 6, then so be it, but I still don't think he's elite.
We have no viable replacement right now.
That may change, but I doubt it.
This Organization hasn't drafted a decent goalie since Tuuka, which we promptly traded away.

Who knows where our cap will be, I suppose it will depend on what we do with Muzzin and Barrie, I have a hard time believing the leafs let Freddy walk regardless.

We can and we will.

6 mil AAV is not elite. Even if we ignore how much Toronto has needed Andersen to be good the last few years, there are 25 goalies with an AAV of 4 or higher this season. The idea that Andersen would accept that on a short term deal (and at less than what he's making now) is pretty unlikely.

It really depends on what the market looks like and how he plays the next couple of seasons, but north of 6 mil would be more than fair based on what he's provided so far.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How can you tell if the Leafs lost the night before?

There will be a fan trying to ship whoever had a bad game out of town on the trade board shortly after.
I feel like Freddie is gunna take a lot of blame for the leafs defense, from the fans and media and I wouldn't be shocked if he just wants to get out of Toronto when his contracts up

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I feel like Freddie is gunna take a lot of blame for the leafs defense, from the fans and media and I wouldn't be shocked if he just wants to get out of Toronto when his contracts up

He's in a tough spot because for the second year in a row Kyle Dubas has set him up with a pretty green backup goalie, one who most likely won't be able to play the usual 25-30 games expected of most competent backups.

I mean, Hutch COULD hit that target this season, but I'm willing to bet the Leafs have a much shorter leash on him.

So that means Freddie's going to be overworked, again, and it'll cost the Leafs in the playoffs, again.

Will he be the scapegoat for their failures? He shouldn't be, but there always needs to be a fall guy and if Babcock continues to shrug off criticism, it'll fall to the goalie.

Reactions: Getz2noone

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just getting a feeler out there of what people from other fan bases think of Freddy. His contract will be up at the end of next season and will most likely command huge dollars at least Bob type of money. The Leafs have young Woll in the minors who will hopefully take the next step in his development. I love Freddy he has his been the backbone of this team for years but it looks like the Leafs will have to make a tough decision.

I know Leaf fans don't think walking the walk is part of talking the talk, but no, Andersen will not be getting "at least Bob type of money" because he doesn't have anything close to a Bob type of resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad