News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Andersen has allowed a goal this bad or worse in every series deciding game he's been in for the Leafs.

The fact that he would never share in the blame after the losses is what soured me on him the most. Gardiner was practically run out of town for this goal.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
“We need to be better as a group” - Fredlight Andersieve

Seriously though...have you ever heard him say it was his fault and he will do better next game? I know I am not overly fond of him (mostly because of his lack of accountability)...but I dare ask that question because in absolute stinker games he has played...he never points the finger at himself. I know Jack takes it to the other extreme and everything...but just come out and say you didn't do a good job...just once admit it..once.

Reactions: axlrose87

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thank God he's not having a good start in the AHL. Don't want him to touch the ice in the playoffs. If we can't win a round or two with Campbell so be it.
Yeah I’ll bet lots are thinking this. Keefe can’t be being genuine in assessing the goaltending. He must know Freddy is not who he wants in the net in the playoffs.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It’s unfortunate that he has fallen so hard but these games with the marlies were needed. They solidify that he is not an NHL goalie (which most leafs fans know by now).
Rittich is the backup.
Andersen is only hurting his chance at future employment every time he takes the ice before free agency. At this rate he won’t even be able to trick Buffalo into signing him

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Time to let Campbell run with it. Andersen has to be a good teammate and be a backup. He has to earn a start now, but it will take a catastrophic implosion of both the Leafs defense and Campbell and outplay Riddich in practice for it to happen.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
His athleticism has been poor the last two games as well as his classic five hole trouble. He looked fatigued getting up after blocking a shot or sprawling. So I’m thinking he will get a bit better because frankly, he looks out of shape and more practice ought to help him there. Hopefully once he gets some fitness back he will be adequate as a backup. He did pull off some excellent saves today eventually. It has been a depressing stint on the Marlies for sure though.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It’s weird to me how people literally want him to fail. That’s stupid logic, but hardly surprising. I was right, I was right, see, I’m right, look at me I’m so clever and correct. Too funny.

I’d like to have him as a backup....

No one wants anyone to fail. Some of us just know he’s not good and we want to know where all the Freddy lovers went now. And yes we were right about him. Just means we were proven right not that we go out and just hate him for no reason.

Why would you want him as a backup when he can’t even play good in the AHL?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s probably because this is a thread about Andersen.
Now the thread is about how bad he is.
He is the reason for the progression of this thread.
I suppose.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but there does seem to be a certain happiness that he is still struggling.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Would almost think a Leaf fan would post some of the Marlie's 4 goals rather than the opposition's 4.

I suppose @DarkKnight pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

We are talking Freddy here so it makes sense but post some of his saves too. He looked bad on the 3 goals so I am left thinking bad thoughts.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No one wants anyone to fail. Some of us just know he’s not good and we want to know where all the Freddy lovers went now. And yes we were right about him. Just means we were proven right not that we go out and just hate him for no reason.

Why would you want him as a backup when he can’t even play good in the AHL?
Why wouldn’t anyone want him to show some form in case a guy who’s never played a playoff game falters? I’ll guarantee the Leafs brass isn’t happy to see him struggling, so that should tell you all how “right” you are. Always sides here, never nuance.

Campbell looks great, I feel comfortable with him as a starter. Also true, things go sideways quick in the playoffs, and the options after him, Fred has the most experience. What a fool to want to see him put himself in the mix as insurance.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why wouldn’t anyone want him to show some form in case a guy who’s never played a playoff game falters? I’ll guarantee the Leafs brass isn’t happy to see him struggling, so that should tell you all how “right” you are. Always sides here, never nuance.

Campbell looks great, I feel comfortable with him as a starter. Also true, things go sideways quick in the playoffs, and the options after him, Fred has the most experience. What a fool to want to see him put himself in the mix as insurance.

Andy has missed how many weeks ?? I can't say I am surprised he struggled. There is a reason the guy is playing with the Marlies afterall.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It would be an amazing story if Andersen came back and played awesome and led us to the Cup. It's only slightly less likely than Engvall winning the Conn Smythe. I guess I should hope for that too? Or does reality matter?

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
I have always been a fan of Freddy. Being only a hardcore fan since around 2007ish (was a fan when Cujo and Belfour were here, but younger and didn't pay attention as much), he's probably the best goalie I have watched in a Leafs uni. He brought stability to a net that was patrolled by Reims, Bernier, Toskala, Raycroft and on and on.

It is tough to see how far he has fallen, even on the Marlies goals against posted earlier, he definitely seems off, lacks confidence etc. It would be crazy for someone aged 31, who was good within the last year and a half to be as bad as he is now, and not be able to get it back. I don't really expect him back in the playoffs, and based on his current play he shouldn't be expected back.

That being said, Campbell is our guy, and I don't see any reason to look elsewhere. If he plays as well as he has this year, goaltending should not be an issue in the playoffs.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is a Fred Andersen thread not a Marlies thread - surely you understand that people are interested in seeing how he performs.

fair point

You’re usually pretty good at finding stuff, did he make any saves or would that defeat the purpose of the posts?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I suppose.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but there does seem to be a certain happiness that he is still struggling.
I think people are just relieved that he is distinguishing any false hope.
The guy is just horrible. It’s actually quite crazy how hard he fell. He is absolutely not backup quality either.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
It’s weird to me how people literally want him to fail. That’s stupid logic, but hardly surprising. I was right, I was right, see, I’m right, look at me I’m so clever and correct. Too funny.

I’d like to have him as a backup....
I don't want him to fail, but he just doesn't have the right stuff. Watching pucks whiz past Andersen has a nauseating deja vu feeling.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

A while back Friedman and Johnson were on that podcast talking about how the Leafs planned on Campbell becoming their starter and how the front office was expecting him to be our goalie.

They obviously didn’t want Freddy to suck but they were expecting and planning for it.

What about Freddys playoff history makes you comfortable with him? He’s a goalie who gets worse under pressure. Which makes him useless to the Leafs. It is what it is. I hope he finds his game and gets some money elsewhere. But I want him no where near the Leafs.

Don’t hate him, just don’t want his horrible play hurting my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad