News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It’s weird to me how people literally want him to fail. That’s stupid logic, but hardly surprising. I was right, I was right, see, I’m right, look at me I’m so clever and correct. Too funny.

I’d like to have him as a backup....

Here's the thing, over the last 2 seasons he's played like a backup

In fact this season he would be an extremely average backup

I don't like seeing Leafs fail but that's how he's been playing, fans aren't as keen to bury players if they give them some sort of performance

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Here's the thing, over the last 2 seasons he's played like a backup

In fact this season he would be an extremely average backup

I don't like seeing Leafs fail but that's how he's been playing, fans aren't as keen to bury players if they give them some sort of performance
I’m not trying to be his apologist, I’m just thinking big picture. He was hurt this year, was hoping he had some gas left in the tank.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I’m not trying to be his apologist, I’m just thinking big picture. He was hurt this year, was hoping he had some gas left in the tank.

That would apply if he hadn't been extremely average the season before, this looks like a player in decline to me

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What's with all the hostility towards one of our own guys? ,936 SV last playoffs, played hurt this season, why not show the man some respect.

We could use a quality backup, I'm pulling for him.

I will give a player respect based on his play, which has been bad for the last 2 seasons and 5 games of one play in round doesn't change that fact

He hasn't even played as good as a quality backup for literally years at this point

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I will give a player respect based on his play, which has been bad for the last 2 seasons and 5 games of one play in round doesn't change that fact

He hasn't even played as good as a quality backup for literally years at this point

I'll bet he's better at his chosen profession than you are at yours.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The problem is, tha tonly explains this year's numbers, not last year's stretch of poor play from December onwards.

If an injury is the root cause of that too, then frankly, Freddy is probably dealing with something very much chronic that isn't just going to go away with rest, unfortunately. He might just very much be cooked for good - wouldn't be surprised with the insane workloads we forced upon him for the previous 4 years.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Expecting that Anderson can make it back in time to even be good enough to backup Campbell is a long shot. He's a notoriously slow starter and when you combine that with returning from a knee injury and a game that has declined over the past two years, I'd be surprised if he's able to demonstrate solid/good goaltending in his final few games before our playoffs start.

Just go look at goaltending stats (SV%, GSAA, RBS, QSP) over the past two years and he's so far off from even being in the top half of the NHL.

Sadly, at this point I have more faith in Rittich and Hutchinson, which tells you all you need to know about how far I believe he has fallen.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
The AHL has figured out Freddie as well. Didn't take long.

Sorry, but he can go find employment somewhere else next season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

So if you owned a horse and it worked hard for you for years and provided for you for years, then it got old and couldn't work as hard for you but still gave what it could, you would just ridicule it and treat it like trash?
These players are humans that play on our team. If that's the standard why do we respect the alumni? If as a player declines we treat them like garbage, what does that make us, the so called fans?
Replace, yes. That's part of the game. All players decline and it should be discussed, as we are, but for me I don't get the need to dump on one of our guys. Why not hope he comes back as good or better than he was? Why do some hope that one of our players fails?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I haven't been demoted lately, I'm also worth my paycheck and my employer wants me to stay for as long a term as possible

So I'm going to ask, are you sure about that?

Kiwi hard at work...:)

statue9.gif

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The AHL has figured out Freddie as well. Didn't take long.

Sorry, but he can go find employment somewhere else next season.

Kelly Hrudy didn't think the AHL stats were all that important, he felt Andy's stint in the AHL was more about testing out his knee and finding out if he could play in a game situation than W/L, sv%/GAA. With that said he is our 3rd best goalie right now. Leafs better buy a crap tonne of bubble wrap and wrap up Campbell, cause if his knee injury comes back, we are F-ed, so F-ed...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So if you owned a horse and it worked hard for you for years and provided for you for years, then it got old and couldn't work as hard for you but still gave what it could, you would just ridicule it and treat it like trash?
These players are humans that play on our team. If that's the standard why do we respect the alumni? If as a player declines we treat them like garbage, what does that make us, the so called fans?
Replace, yes. That's part of the game. All players decline and it should be discussed, as we are, but for me I don't get the need to dump on one of our guys. Why not hope he comes back as good or better than he was? Why do some hope that one of our players fails?
That’s the thing, he’s unquestionably been this franchises best goalie since Ed Belfour. That fact isn’t irrelevant. There was a time we all lauded his play and he was in the conversation for top 10 in the league. Fred has failed at times, stumbled and frankly Im not super confident he could have ever brought the team to the promised land, but he doesn’t deserve to be treated like some bum goalie who’s done Jack squat here. The dancing on his grave routine speaks more to the detractors than their subject matter.

I agree he looks spent, my glimmering hope was his play this year was injury related, he could find a decent form. These two games in the AHL aren’t encouraging and time is running out. If he’s done here, fine, most of us didn’t see him returning next year anyways, myself included. But laughing at the guy, he’s had some good moments here and he has the experience I wanted for our backup. Anyways....

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Good luck in whatever comes your way Freddie.

Campbell has claimed the starter role IMO and the team plays better in front of him than they ever did in front of Andersen.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That’s the thing, he’s unquestionably been this franchises best goalie since Ed Belfour. That fact isn’t irrelevant. There was a time we all lauded his play and he was in the conversation for top 10 in the league. Fred has failed at times, stumbled and frankly Im not super confident he could have ever brought the team to the promised land, but he doesn’t deserve to be treated like some bum goalie who’s done Jack squat here. The dancing on his grave routine speaks more to the detractors than their subject matter.

I agree he looks spent, my glimmering hope was his play this year was injury related, he could find a decent form. These two games in the AHL aren’t encouraging and time is running out. If he’s done here, fine, most of us didn’t see him returning next year anyways, myself included. But laughing at the guy, he’s had some good moments here and he has the experience I wanted for our backup. Anyways....
Agreed!
As for the AHL stint I don't really care about it either. Playing with the Marlies does not equal playing with the leafs. Structure is important for goaltending.
I personally love Freddie. I was so happy when we signed him, but this is Jack's net now. He's earned it, but if he falters I'm hoping healthy Freddie is back to form to steal the net back so we can go deep into the playoffs.
As always it's the name on the front of the jersey for me, but respect should be given to the names on the back that gave up their hearts and souls for a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad