News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Very happy to see Andersen in net with Marlies. For his first game in awhile he didnt look bad at all.

My hope is that he gets better with playing time which is usually the case with him, and he is back on the Leafs bench come playoff time pushing Campbell.

If we look back to past Stanley Cups (other then Tampa Bay and St. Louis), there have been teams that has won has using 2 goalies to ultimately get through the playoffs and win the Cup.

Washington - Holtby, Grubauer
Pittsburgh - Fleury, Murray
Pittsburgh - Murray, Fleury
Chicago - Crawford, Darling

It will not be the first time that a team has used this luxury. People are forgetting that Andersen is an above average goalie and has never played in front of a defense like we have today in his career as a Leaf.

Reactions: saltming

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Very happy to see Andersen in net with Marlies. For his first game in awhile he didnt look bad at all.

My hope is that he gets better with playing time which is usually the case with him, and he is back on the Leafs bench come playoff time pushing Campbell.

If we look back to past Stanley Cups (other then Tampa Bay and St. Louis), there have been teams that has won has using 2 goalies to ultimately get through the playoffs and win the Cup.

It will not be the first time that a team has used this luxury. People are forgetting that Andersen is an above average goalie and has never played in front of a defense like we have today in his career as a Leaf.
Why do you lie for him .. he was totally BRUTAL in all his movements .. and same old issues with 5 hole and guessing on 2nd goal before shot made .. he killed that game for Marlies with a stinker early .. I do not understand all da apologists .. hopefully he is better on Sunday for Marlies than Big Sieve Dave to function as our backup

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hope he gets healthy, and starts playing well enough that he can backup Campbell. But no way is he starting - Campbell has been playing much better this year than Andersen has for any decent stretch this year or last. Campbell is currently playing as well as peak Andersen, maybe even better.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I thought Andersen looked okay yesterday. You could tell he was superior to a prospect like Woll even in his first game back. As Woll immediately let in a shot from behind the goal line as soon as he came in. But, he still let in 2 on 14 shots in the AHL. Both shots were quality scoring chances, but you want to see him go in there and shine. Hopefully, he gets another a crack and stops 40 shots and he can go into the playoffs confident and injury free.

demonslayer

Apr 14, 2021
Toronto
I thought Andersen looked okay yesterday. You could tell he was superior to a prospect like Woll even in his first game back. As Woll immediately let in a shot from behind the goal line as soon as he came in. But, he still let in 2 on 14 shots in the AHL. Both shots were quality scoring chances, but you want to see him go in there and shine. Hopefully, he gets another a crack and stops 40 shots and he can go into the playoffs confident and injury free.
:huh::laugh:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

He is not an above average goalie lmao

His sv% is below 0.900

Come on

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He was, not sure you could argue he is anymore

Yup. Maybe he will be again one day but who knows when? He was having a poor season, now he hasn't played in ages so what are the odds of him playing at an above average level between now and the end of the playoffs? I'm pulling for him (as we all should be) but it seems like a long shot.

This is Jack's team now, regardless of what the idiots in the media say. He's looking awfully good too, my confidence in him is growing which each game. Go Jack!!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yup. Maybe he will be again one day but who knows when? He was having a poor season, now he hasn't played in ages so what are the odds of him playing at an above average level between now and the end of the playoffs? I'm pulling for him (as we all should be) but it seems like a long shot.

This is Jack's team now, regardless of what the idiots in the media say. He's looking awfully good too, my confidence in him is growing which each game. Go Jack!!
I hope Jack is that and more. I'm still not 100%on him yet. If he starts taking the puck better I would be happy, which can come with more games.
Fingers crossed for Jack and Freddie. We would be deadly with both of them playing high level games

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope Jack is that and more. I'm still not 100%on him yet. If he starts taking the puck better I would be happy, which can come with more games.
Fingers crossed for Jack and Freddie. We would be deadly with both of them playing high level games

Hard to be 100% sold with the sample size being so small for sure. That said, I'm getting closer to being sold every time he plays.

I'm not even worried about taking the puck better or getting better in any way, if he can just keep doing what he's been doing so far, that will basically be a dream come true.

To people analyzing the goals Freddie gave up last night, I say don't worry about it. His first half game in ages, it's more about getting in game shape again than anything else. Would be great if he could get into game shape and we somehow find the cap space for him to be able to start our last game against WPG.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

But he played a large enough sample size this season in front of that same defense core, and he was below average overall.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
In many of the indo-european languages the word "stan" means "state, place, land or nation". Sounds like Eminem just stole it from those languages.

There's also the cognate 'sthana' in Sanskrit that can also refer to 'place' in a more abstract sense, like the status of something or someone in a hierarchy. Maybe he took it from that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hard to be 100% sold with the sample size being so small for sure. That said, I'm getting closer to being sold every time he plays.

I'm not even worried about taking the puck better or getting better in any way, if he can just keep doing what he's been doing so far, that will basically be a dream come true.

To people analyzing the goals Freddie gave up last night, I say don't worry about it. His first half game in ages, it's more about getting in game shape again than anything else. Would be great if he could get into game shape and we somehow find the cap space for him to be able to start our last game against WPG.
There is no disputing his record and stats at all but as you said sample size.
I didn't watch the Marlies games but I don't put any stock into Freddies conditioning games. Let's see what happens when he's playing for the big guys.
As long as we can somehow get good stable goaltending I will be happy

Reactions: Gary Nylund

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It will be good to get Freddy playing full games again, but is there any consideration in him actually starting game 1 of the playoffs?

In my mind, you roll with Campbell until you can't anymore. He's been the guy down the stretch and he's playing quality hockey.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
It will be good to get Freddy playing full games again, but is there any consideration in him actually starting game 1 of the playoffs?

In my mind, you roll with Campbell until you can't anymore. He's been the guy down the stretch and he's playing quality hockey.
Given Leafs cap issue, he can not start any game before the playoff (will leafs sit some top guys in the last 2 games?). So, highly doubt that he will start game 1.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Did Freddie call out / blame the Marlies team in front of him?

Ouch!

If Jack is healthy and they start Freddie instead, that would be the dumbest coaching decision I have seen during my lifetime of following North American pro sports. I don't think Keefe is that dumb so I'll say the odds of that happening are a million to one.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
What were the odds of Nylund and Gord Kluzak, both going out way before their time. Gary.

Never give out those kind of odds, just a heads up.

But yeah, Jack Campbell, is a young, modern day Johnny Bower.

Think about it. The most possibly solid goalie we ever had, was a guy who toiled in the minors till he was 32.

Jack Campbell, I don't know if many of us, reaize, he is actually almost 30.

Spent time in the ECHL. lot of time in the AHL.

I don\t need to call in a favour to find out what the team feels about Campbell.

When he wins a game, the team hugs the guy, like a relative, having a baby.

I don't know who plays Sawchuk here in the playoffs, but I know who the Johnny Bower is.

This is a really tight cool team. We don\t need a hidden webcam in the dressing room to realize. This is the tightest group of guys, since my favourite Leaf coach of all time, Pat Burns. And his boys.

Hyman is amazing, we know that, Foligno has shown us, that if we come up against Washington, we have a guy who will spear or smoke the guy who just really stained the NHL recently.

Interesting that Washington signed Chara. Wilson and Chara on the ice.... Seriously, what does any team do, to counteract that. And I guess its okay to take a great player like Panarin, by the hair, and try to smash his head through the ice.

But we are winning without both of them.

BUT, you don't win anything at all, with a crappy goalie.

Me, I roll with Campbell.

I am not going to say anything about Andersen. I never liked him at all.

Having depth at goalie is tantamount, to success imho.

I like Campbell a lot. I like super save dave too. Plus, I think Hutchinson has improved. A lot.

Andersen from my viewpoint. Has said some things, subtly that doesn't go by anyone on this board, and probably by no one, on our Leafs.

Good luck to him, he has probably lost 20 million usd, with the way things have turned out for him.

Anything is possible. All three of the guys ahead of him could get covid or something happening to them.

Andersen could move in, and save the day, crazier things have happened.

But, if I was Keefe, I wouldn't even have him in the dressing room. His little pokes at his team defence, wasn't lost on me.

If we win the Cup, which, we very well could. Guys like Campbell, lots of other guys, will be venerated like the biggest brands out there.

I attended both Blue Jays series, even the ARGOS, winning their first grey cup in so long.

Italy winning the World Cup.

I would love to see, the effect on LEAFNATION, when we win the CUP.

Could have a serious impact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad