Post-Game Talk: Freddie shuts the door on Panthers. Leafs win 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You know putting the franchise player out there to block a shot and risk getting hurt is a bad idea.

The win is great but if Matthews is hurt that is 100% Babcock's fault, he can put anybody out there to block a shot bt he chosses to put Matthews out there.

stupid stupid choice, Matthews should NOT be blocking shots
It's Matthews fault he tried to block the shit. He didn't have to block it but he decided to anyways.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's how I felt watching it. Florida had good moments of pressure (I thought Matheson and Bjugstad were awesome...barely noticed Barkov) but the Leafs carried the majority of play and had more dangerous chances. Shots don't tell the whole story.

That's the way I saw it. We didn't dominate by any means, it was a close game, I thought both teams played well and it was great to come out on top.

6th overall and rising!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's Matthews fault he tried to block the ****. He didn't have to block it but he decided to anyways.
Save that shot blocking stuff until it's a game 7 of the playoffs. Not game 60 whatever.
That's what we have Polak/Hyman/Brown/Moore/Komarov for.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You know putting the franchise player out there to block a shot and risk getting hurt is a bad idea.

The win is great but if Matthews is hurt that is 100% Babcock's fault, he can put anybody out there to block a shot bt he chosses to put Matthews out there.

stupid stupid choice, Matthews should NOT be blocking shots

If it was Hyman, Komarov, and Moore out there and Florida scored you'd complain it was all scrubs and how dare babcock not have our best player on the ice to score an EN goal.

The man can do no good around here. Good grief, we won the game and Matthews is committed to winning on an individual level. Whatg more can you ask? We cant wrap Matthews in bubble wrap.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
This is bull ****. Cannot have long term success giving up this many shots against night in and night out.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Blocking shots and not getting hurt is a skill (with some luck), how do you get better at skills? Practice. If Matthews wants to block shots in practice, great, let him. I don't want Matthews going for his first shot block in game 7 of a playoff round only to deflect it in the net or just screen Freddy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If it was Hyman, Komarov, and Moore out there and Florida scored you'd complain it was all scrubs and how dare babcock not have our best player on the ice to score an EN goal.

The man can do no good around here. Good grief, we won the game and Matthews is committed to winning on an individual level. Whatg more can you ask? We cant wrap Matthews in bubble wrap.
Blocking a shot in the last minute is no different than blocking one in the first minute. Players are expected to do both.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's the way I saw it. We didn't dominate by any means, it was a close game, I thought both teams played well and it was great to come out on top.

6th overall and rising!
It was close but I thought the Leafs were the better Team overall.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It was close but I thought the Leafs were the better Team overall.

Yup, that's the way I saw it. I like to keep an eye on goal differential, been doing that for a few decades now and it's by no means an "advanced" stat but then again, the same can be said IMO for most "advanced" stats and over the years I've found it to be a pretty good indicator. I look at it as supplementary to the standings, it can sometimes give a hint if a team should maybe be given more (or less) credit that one might do so based on the standings. Here are the number for the top 16 teams just for fun. And without drawing too many conclusions I will just say that our goal differential matches exactly our place in the standings.

BOS 48
LV 42
TB 54
NSH 31
WPG 38
TOR 29
WSH 5
SJ 14
DAL 20
PIT 15
MIN 7
PHI 11
LA 23
STL 14
NJD -2
ANA +1

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This is bull ****. Cannot have long term success giving up this many shots against night in and night out.

We owned Florida last night regardless of shots. Marleau had 3 backdoor tap ins that he missed, Matthews hit the post on a wide open net and Komarov also missed a wide open net. The game should’ve been a blowout

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's Matthews fault he tried to block the ****. He didn't have to block it but he decided to anyways.

Yes he did because he was out there, but he should never have been out there, put in a position where they could lose him, but he was and that is a stupid risk and if he is hurt that is on Babcock.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes he did because he was out there, but he should never have been out there, put in a position where they could lose him, but he was and that is a stupid risk and if he is hurt that is on Babcock.
no its on matthews. he shouldn't have blocked that shot. he should have let it go and the goalie woulda made the save

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
whats with the complaining about having Matthews out there in the dying minute of a close game? I personally wouldnt prefer anyone else. Theres a chance of anyone being hurt at any given time. Would you people complain if Matthews was hurt blocking a shot with 10 minutes left too? The kids a winner, if he has the opportunity to block a shot, hes going to take it

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
whats with the complaining about having Matthews out there in the dying minute of a close game? I personally wouldnt prefer anyone else. Theres a chance of anyone being hurt at any given time. Would you people complain if Matthews was hurt blocking a shot with 10 minutes left too? The kids a winner, if he has the opportunity to block a shot, hes going to take it
Agreed, the whole thing is pretty silly. I don't think many had an issue with, just a few.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We get it, you’ve never played hockey before
playing hockey doesn't mean you can't understand it. it must be the opposite for you in this case, because you don't understand whats going on. if matthews didn't block the shot, no one would be complaining right? he'd still be on the ice for the last minute of the game, except the difference is he'd not block the shot. by that logic, its on him not babcock

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
playing hockey doesn't mean you can't understand it. it must be the opposite for you in this case, because you don't understand whats going on. if matthews didn't block the shot, no one would be complaining right? he'd still be on the ice for the last minute of the game, except the difference is he'd not block the shot. by that logic, its on him not babcock
True but based on your history you clearly don't understand it.

Reactions: Muston Atthews

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

If you’re not willing to do what the rest of your teammates are willing to do, no one will take you seriously and no one will listen to you. So yeah, unless you’ve played team sports you don’t truly understand it, at least this portion of it

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad