Post-Game Talk: Freddie shuts the door on Panthers. Leafs win 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That play where Kapanen got the pass from Gardiner and he cut into the middle and just flew by everyone right into the slot?

Not many players in the league can make that happen.

Once he starts playing with better players his speed will put opposing teams D on their heels bigtime.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know putting the franchise player out there to block a shot and risk getting hurt is a bad idea.

The win is great but if Matthews is hurt that is 100% Babcock's fault, he can put anybody out there to block a shot bt he chosses to put Matthews out there.

stupid stupid choice, Matthews should NOT be blocking shots

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Also id love to say...when all those s talkers kept saying hes soft, hes not good enough...oh and I started a Vezina talk thread a week b4 the TV and radio guys caught on. Here we are. Another shutout 5 on the yr. If we dont have him we are not in the playoffs easily...id say we are top wildcard at best. Guys a gamer, fingers crossed he can stay healthy down the stretch. Man a D like Manson would help envoke fear in those who try and run him.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
You know putting the franchise player out there to block a shot and risk getting hurt is a bad idea.

The win is great but if Matthews is hurt that is 100% Babcock's fault, he can put anybody out there to block a shot bt he chosses to put Matthews out there.

you put the guys out there that give you the best chance to lock up the 1-0 win. Matthews will block shots all day long if it means you get the win. He'll shake it off and be fine.

Reactions: FishManSam

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
you put the guys out there that give you the best chance to lock up the 1-0 win. Matthews will block shots all day long if it means you get the win. He'll shake it off and be fine.

I think they win that game no matter who is out there at that moment, I do not want to see franchise player out there blocking shots and risk getting injured.

This team can go far, I truly believe that, but that can't happen if he gets hurt

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

You want your franchise player to play in end-game situations during the season.

This prepares him for high leverage moments in the playoffs.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Matthews is being moulded into a Johnny Toews. Soon he will be on the PK..maybe not this yr but eventually. In some respect you want a top guy to kill penalties more so the latter of the 2minutes. Geno Malkin does as well. Matthews D awarness is there, and only getting better. Also creates a chance to score SHG. Say Kapenen sticks, he and Matthews go out to kill the latter..I can see a ton of SHG come of that. Esp if Zaitsev returns to form and Rielly who looks like hes still hurting.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You want your franchise player to play in end-game situations during the season.

This prepares him for high leverage moments in the playoffs.

I would rather have anybody, literally ANYBODY on this team block shots before Matthews if a guy like Dominic more goes down blocking, I don't want to say no one cares, but an injury to Moore is not going to have a huge impact on how far this team goes.

If Matthews goes down this team is f***ed

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Just caught the game in 6.

Anyone else notice Auston's big shot block right at the end there? That's your future captain right there. And not an easy one to jump in front of, mid range it definitely hurt him.

Auston is a born leader and born winner, willing to do what it takes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just caught the game in 6.

Anyone else notice Auston's big shot block right at the end there? That's your future captain right there. And not an easy one to jump in front of, mid range it definitely hurt him.

Auston is a born leader and born winner, willing to do what it takes.

The fact that it hurt him is kind of the problem can't have him getting hurt

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Good game and Leafs deserved the win. However, giving up 40 shots to an average team is concerning.
While we have been winning, we have also been giving up way too many shots. We would have lost our fair share of the games if not for the heroics of our goalies.
With some 20 games left (and almost certainty of a playoff spot), Babs has the time and luxury to experiment with different rosters to tighten up our defense. My 2 cents:
1. Try Holl for a few more games to see what he can do.
2. Play Komorov at center and call up Johnsson to play with Kap as his wingers. We might just have a 4th line that can both defend and score.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Good game and Leafs deserved the win. However, giving up 40 shots to an average team is concerning.
While we have been winning, we have also been giving up way too many shots. We would have lost our fair share of the games if not for the heroics of our goalies.
With some 20 games left (and almost certainty of a playoff spot), Babs has the time and luxury to experiment with different rosters to tighten up our defense. My 2 cents:
1. Try Holl for a few more games to see what he can do.
2. Play Komorov at center and call up Johnsson to play with Kap as his wingers. We might just have a 4th line that can both defend and score.

Sure shots can be bad, but I don't think the shots the Leafs are giving up are a big deal. Teams are peppering him with rubber because he's such a solid goalie. I can't even count how many point shots hit his chest tonight. The Leafs had far more serious scoring chances. Teams can shoot clear shots at Freddy from the blue line all night every night for all I care. If not for Marleau and Komarov being unable to bury open nets, or that freakishly lucky miss by Matthews, this game could have easily been a blowout.

As for messing with the lineup by putting in rookies, no. No no no no. That's what bottom feeders do at this time of year. We don't do that anymore and I don't want to see it again for a long time.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I've gone past beating up on Leo - I hope he can go on a streak soon.

Anybody else worry that Anderson has peaked slightly early? Or is this now who he is?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
You guys do realize that end of game song is a tribute to the movie Slapshot, right?
like I said in the GDT thread.
When they first played that song. I was like "is that the best home victory song they could find?"

The more they win though, the more I like it.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Game should have been 3-0 after the 1st. Lots of shots but we had the lion's share of the good scoring chances.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Game should have been 3-0 after the 1st. Lots of shots but we had the lion's share of the good scoring chances.

That's how I felt watching it. Florida had good moments of pressure (I thought Matheson and Bjugstad were awesome...barely noticed Barkov) but the Leafs carried the majority of play and had more dangerous chances. Shots don't tell the whole story.

member 147413

I've gone past beating up on Leo - I hope he can go on a streak soon.

Anybody else worry that Anderson has peaked slightly early? Or is this now who he is?
He seems to have 2-3 good games in a row, maybe 1 great one, then he’ll have an average/poor night in net.

I think we’re fine as long as he’s not the reason we lose and I don’t think he will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad