It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Classic HF:

"What are your needs?"
"Top pairing dman and a 2c"
"Here's our top pairing dman and a 2c"
"OMG such terble offur!"

I think we all remember Laine's performance when it was good...but I think we all remember when it was bad as well. So doubt chastise us for remembering both the good and bad and considering how much money he will likely want and balancing it all out.

Any team that trades for Laine isn't just getting the brief durations when he scores...you're getting everything else that comes with it.

Now that said, you can easily get a better offer than Dumo+McCann...but that's what we can offer within the parameters of what you said your need are.
How do you think Pens fans would feel about Copp and Pionk for Malkin? Basically the value you just offered for Laine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Classic HF:

"What are your needs?"
"Top pairing dman and a 2c"
"Here's our top pairing dman and a 2c"
"OMG such terble offur!"

I think we all remember Laine's performance when it was good...but I think we all remember when it was bad as well. So doubt chastise us for remembering both the good and bad and considering how much money he will likely want and balancing it all out.

Any team that trades for Laine isn't just getting the brief durations when he scores...you're getting everything else that comes with it.

Now that said, you can easily get a better offer than Dumo+McCann...but that's what we can offer within the parameters of what you said your need are.

Laine's performance when he was bad was a 30 goal scorer. Not to mention Jets are flush on LD.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Agreed but as I said earlier in the thread I don't know what to offer. (Interested especially in Ehlers.)

Jets fans seem to be targeting a 2C. Other than a scoring winger that drives the play, 2C is the other need to CBJ, so nothing to offer there. Neither of the two top defensemen is available IMO, so...

I would offer Anderson and Gavrikov (or Peeke) and hope that, after a few reasoned exchanges, something could be worked out. But if Jets fans don't think that works as a starting point, I think the Jackets are out of play.
Murray and Anderson and something else?
Sorry it is easy to offer other teams players but one thing for sure Jackets need scoring and you guys will go to Eastern conference finals. I think.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Laine's performance when he was bad was a 30 goal scorer. Not to mention Jets are flush on LD.
Exactly. He averages .81 ppg so far. Plus he is learning a 2 way game that with his size could be a very imposing player for the next decade. And he still has an elite shot (though to be fair I think his mechanics have changed due to his back injury and it did not seem as accurate as his first couple seasons).

If you think your team is interested in trading for him prepare to give a bonafide top line player (or two). A player that makes you mad that you gave him up.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Sorry it is easy to offer other teams players but one thing for sure Jackets need scoring and you guys will go to Eastern conference finals. I think.
Murray and Anderson for who? Cant be an offer for Laine. And really is pretty poor for Ehlers, too.

Reactions: Pongs21

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

While the CBJ situation with draft picks in the next couple drafts isn't as dire as the Canadian media might have made it out following the '19 trade deadline, I don't think picks are on the table for this discussion (were it to be real).

And it's not going to be Nuti or Peeke: 1) that's too much and 2) already trading away Murray, so even though Jackets are 8-9 deep in NHL-caliber defensemen, sending two away in a deal that returns none is not going to work.

So that leaves emerging roster forwards like Bemstrom and Stenlund, players who have shown themselves capable at the NHL level but who haven't broken the lineup full time yet; and Euro forward prospects, but Marchenko and Voronkov are, I'd think, off the table as adds in a deal like this. (Apologies if you're not familiar with these names.)

So pretty much Bemstrom or Stenlund, and even then I'd think some piece would have to be added coming back.

Ehlers + something

Anderson + Murray + Bemstrom/Stenlund

You and I might agree on something like this, but I wonder about most fans from both teams.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
While the CBJ situation with draft picks in the next couple drafts isn't as dire as the Canadian media might have made it out following the '19 trade deadline, I don't think picks are on the table for this discussion (were it to be real).

And it's not going to be Nuti or Peeke: 1) that's too much and 2) already trading away Murray, so even though Jackets are 8-9 deep in NHL-caliber defensemen, sending two away in a deal that returns none is not going to work.

So that leaves emerging roster forwards like Bemstrom and Stenlund, players who have shown themselves capable at the NHL level but who haven't broken the lineup full time yet; and Euro forward prospects, but Marchenko and Voronkov are, I'd think, off the table as adds in a deal like this. (Apologies if you're not familiar with these names.)

So pretty much Bemstrom or Stenlund, and even then I'd think some piece would have to be added coming back.

Ehlers + something

Anderson + Murray + Bemstrom/Stenlund

You and I might agree on something like this, but I wonder about most fans from both teams.

Ehlers for Anderson, Murray and Bemstrom is quite nice, good value...but I would be shocked if the Jets move Ehlers without returning a younger top 4 D or a #2 calibre C.

Reactions: Heldig

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Ya, page 3 and I think I'm done with the trade boards. This is f***ing absurd.
Maybe you should watch an Islanders game for once then. Pulock is rock solid #1 RHD, arguably the hardest piece to find for a team. Laine’s ceiling is sky high, but right now he’s an inconsistent winger who’s gonna be paid like he isn’t.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ehlers for Anderson, Murray and Bemstrom is quite nice, good value...but I would be shocked if the Jets move Ehlers without returning a younger top 4 D or a #2 calibre C.

My original proposal was Anderson and Gavrikov or Peeke. Gav is a top 4 now. Peeke is still a prospect but projects top 4 and is ready IMO for NHL duty.

Murray is older and sometimes-broken, but is probably better than either of the others, and was suggested by another poster in response to my initial suggestion.

Jackets don't have a 2C to offer.

I'd think Jackets need an add in a 3-f0r-1 roster players deal like this. To me, the add of Bemstrom makes it a bit of an overpay. The obvious target is Roslovic, but now we're out of balance the other way again.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
My original proposal was Anderson and Gavrikov or Peeke. Gav is a top 4 now. Peeke is still a prospect but projects top 4 and is ready IMO for NHL duty.

Murray is older and sometimes-broken, but is probably better than either of the others, and was suggested by another poster in response to my initial suggestion.

Jackets don't have a 2C to offer.

I'd think Jackets need an add in a 3-f0r-1 roster players deal like this. To me, the add of Bemstrom makes it a bit of an overpay. The obvious target is Roslovic, but now we're out of balance the other way again.
How about a deal surrounding Gavrikov or Bemstrom for Roslovic? IMO any promising FWD the Jets move this off season is Roslovic, not Ehlers or Laine

Reactions: hn777

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How about a deal surrounding Gavrikov or Bemstrom for Roslovic? IMO any promising FWD the Jets move this off season is Roslovic, not Ehlers or Laine

Is Ros still "promising"? Is he even still a center? I am under the impression that he has stagnated.

The Jackets would have significant interest in Ehlers. I'm not sure Roslovic by himself helps.

Only reason I brought his name up was to point out how trying to balance a trade becomes more complicated than you'd like.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Is Ros still "promising"? Is he even still a center? I am under the impression that he has stagnated.

The Jackets would have significant interest in Ehlers. I'm not sure Roslovic by himself helps.

Only reason I brought his name up was to point out how trying to balance a trade becomes more complicated than you'd like.
He is, you can see it in his game, just doesn't always translate into points. If he were to become more consistent - which I think he can, he'd be a solid top 6 player with potential. He's been given little to no opportunity to play C with the Jet's other than the 4th line spot duty, and any top 6 opportunity he get's he's been on the wing for injury fill in's which has been especially frustrating for Jet's fans as he was viewed to be Little's replacement. Copp and Lowry are our 3rd line C's, Copp usually on the wing, so when Lowry's out he draws into the C position. They are also our shutdown defensive line, where Roslovic spent the majority of his time on flanking the other side.

I'm not sure what kind of add the Jackets would be looking for in a Roslovic for Gavrikov trade. To be honest I don't know much about Gavrikov, but I don't see Heinola, Samberg or the 10th pic or any other 1st being the add on. If that's how the Jacket's feel I'd just rather leave it here as a agree to disagree than argue it.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He is, you can see it in his game, just doesn't always translate into points. If he were to become more consistent - which I think he can, he'd be a solid top 6 player with potential. He's been given little to no opportunity to play C with the Jet's other than the 4th line spot duty, and any top 6 opportunity he get's he's been on the wing for injury fill in's which has been especially frustrating for Jet's fans as he was viewed to be Little's replacement. Copp and Lowry are our 3rd line C's, Copp usually on the wing, so when Lowry's out he draws into the C position. They are also our shutdown defensive line, where Roslovic spent the majority of his time on flanking the other side.

I'm not sure what kind of add the Jackets would be looking for in a Roslovic for Gavrikov trade. To be honest I don't know much about Gavrikov, but I don't see Heinola, Samberg or the 10th pic or any other 1st being the add on. If that's how the Jacket's feel I'd just rather leave it here as a agree to disagree than argue it.

Thanks for the insight.

Yeah like I said Roslovic isn't really the target. And Jarmo signed his "maybe he just needs an opportunity" guy in Grigorenko. Was just trying to figure if Roslovic was a reasonable or unreasonable consideration to balance out the earlier trade discussion.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Watching the Jets a fair bit I'd actually be more interested in Ehlers. Laine is a bit one trick for me. Granted, when he's going that one trick is pretty lethal, but I like the total of Ehlers game better.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
This feels clearly like a bait and switch situation for the Jets just to open the door for other talks on other players. I imagine every team interested in a top 6 winger would call to at least inquire about the price for Ehlers or Laine and then Chevy's like:

"C'mon in... Yeah, yeah, yeah, let's talk about Ehlers or Laine... Hey, did you ever consider Roslovic or Vesalainen instead?"

"If you need an NHL ready D I could probably add Niku or Dahlstrom." sort of pitch from Chevy when people don't like the price for our top guys.

We can take on salary and return these cheaper roster players and we can protect a Dman that we acquire in the expansion draft.

If we can extend DeMelo the RD will be fine. If we can bring in an Edmundson or a Dillon as a UFA on a multi year deal knowing they will be taken in the expansion draft after the season that's fine too because Samberg and Heinola should be ready.

Even if you look at this thread the offers are usually one piece we need and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't really move the needle for us to make up the value difference.

You come for Laine/Ehlers and you leave with Roslovic + or Vesalainen + for the one part of the package we want.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Laine's value is hurt by his demands to be a 10-11 million dollar player. If the Jets are not sure they want to pay that much, why on earth would other GM's? And worse, pay a kings ransom to acquire him?

In fact, in a flat cap world, it may drag down his value more then it should. Down to Domi plus a first. Is it fair? Not to a Jets fan, but from a Hab's fan perspective, that is a HUGE contract and I'm not sure we are getting a 50 goal Laine or a 30 goal Laine.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Do the Devils have anything to offer for either player ?
Any combination of the three 1st round picks plus ?? be enough?
Love both players and would give up any asset and players except for Nico and Hughes

Ty Smith , combo of first round picks this year , Bratt , Gusev , Boqvist , Butcher , McCleod , Bahl , Foote ?

Laine riding shot gun with Hughes would be pretty damn sexy

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Laine's value is hurt by his demands to be a 10-11 million dollar player. If the Jets are not sure they want to pay that much, why on earth would other GM's? And worse, pay a kings ransom to acquire him?

In fact, in a flat cap world, it may drag down his value more then it should. Down to Domi plus a first. Is it fair? Not to a Jets fan, but from a Hab's fan perspective, that is a HUGE contract and I'm not sure we are getting a 50 goal Laine or a 30 goal Laine.
Where did this figure of of Laine demanding 10 - 11 million come from? Is there a legit source you can link to?

As for some teams being interested...maybe some teams dont have 4 60 point+ wingers and would like to add a bonafide 1st liner?

From a Jets fan perspective your offer is an obvious troll especially considering your worst case scenario - 30 goal Laine - would still be the Habs best scorer.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I totally agree and see where you're coming from. How about instead we do Jack Roslovic + Sami Niku for Domi?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Do the Devils have anything to offer for either player ?
Any combination of the three 1st round picks plus ?? be enough?
Love both players and would give up any asset and players except for Nico and Hughes

Ty Smith , combo of first round picks this year , Bratt , Gusev , Boqvist , Butcher , McCleod , Bahl , Foote ?

Laine riding shot gun with Hughes would be pretty damn sexy

There's plenty of valuable pieces there, but nothing that actually addresses the reason why we would potentially be trading one of them. So unless it turned into a 3 way somehow I just don't see it because on that list there isn't an immediate top pair RHD nor an immediate top 6 C. If you're not offering Hischier or Hughes IMO the Devils don't have what we need.

Would you be interested in Roslovic or maybe Vesalainen instead?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

Is there any actual source for this apparent 10-11 mil payday? I sure haven’t seen one

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I totally agree and see where you're coming from. How about instead we do Jack Roslovic + Sami Niku for Domi?

Montreal's issue with Domi isn't his potential contract demands, its that they don't have room at center for him.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Of course Bergevin will give them a call and the asking price would be something like: Danault + Romanov + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad