Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Put this in the Domi thread but...

If both teams are still looking to win now/soon, what about a straight up Domi for Ehlers swap?

Both have similar production, around the same age.

Domi gives WPG an option at 2C. Ehlers gives MTL a 50+ point winger that is signed for a while at a reasonable number.

Who says no?

That makes no sense from a Jets POV, Ehlers isn't your typical winger he drives play just as well as most centres. Ehlers is a better scorer and most importantly he's locked up long term on a team friendly deal.........while Domi has maneuvered himself into position to be two years from UFA via the CBA and just hired one of the most not difficult agents to deal with out there to fight his battles likely to get him the arbritation & UFA.........No chance the Jets would do that trade. Even with a extension in hand, it's a lateral move at best which is pointless.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Pittsburgh in 2017 is the only Stanley Cup Champion from this decade with at least 6 forwards who averaged over 50 points per 82 games in the regular season, and only four of those players actually scored over 50 points.

Vancouver is the only team remaining in this year's playoffs with at least 6 forwards who averaged over 50 points per 82 games, and they had exactly 6, and that is only if we include Toffoli who played most of his season with Los Angeles, and Vancouver is probably going to be eliminated in a few days. Unless Vancouver comes back in this series against Vegas, and then wins two more rounds in order to win the Stanley Cup, this year will feature yet another Stanley Cup Champion with at least one player in their top-6 who scored fewer than 50 points per 82 games.

I think your assessment is off-base, as is any assessment which concludes that Phil Danault is not even a top-6 center.
Yeah I dug a little more and I’ll stand corrected. 50 pts it’s second line production

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
That makes no sense from a Jets POV, Ehlers isn't your typical winger he drives play just as well as most centres. Ehlers is a better scorer and most importantly he's locked up long term on a team friendly deal.........while Domi has maneuvered himself into position to be two years from UFA via the CBA and just hired one of the most not difficult agents to deal with out there to fight his battles likely to get him the arbritation & UFA.........No chance the Jets would do that trade. Even with a extension in hand, it's a lateral move at best which is pointless.

Fair enough. I also saw it as a lateral move for both teams with a slightly better fit for the needs of each team (Ehlers is a winger & signed, Domi can play 2C and will likely get paid a similar amount). Maybe value is more off than I thought, I'm not too familiar with Ehlers so was going mostly on highlights & stats.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Fair enough. I also saw it as a lateral move for both teams with a slightly better fit for the needs of each team (Ehlers is a winger & signed, Domi can play 2C and will likely get paid a similar amount). Maybe value is more off than I thought, I'm not too familiar with Ehlers so was going mostly on highlights & stats.
nr. 10 in the league 5v5 points this past Season without playing with Scheifele ... he does not play much PP and look at his TOI... play driving Winger... yep it will cost more then Domi

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Plus, Domi contract status, arb rights and new cutthroat agent.......all means I don't take Domi in any even close to fair player value trade......he's positioning himself for a huge contract and/or UFA. To be clear I like Domi, but his contract status & new agent make me say I have zero interest in him.......Ehlers is an automatic no chance and I wouldn't even trade quantity pieces to get him at this point......b/c you know he's bolting to UFA now if he doesn't get overpaid.

nr. 10 in the league 5v5 points this past Season without playing with Scheifele ... he does not play much PP and look at his TOI... play driving Winger... yep it will cost more then Domi

Correct, plus Ehlers is surprisingly good defensively. Guy puts up 60 point seasons with little PP time compared to other top line wingers, his zone entries are crazy good........plus he's now adding a phyiscal side to his game (I wish he would stop fighting guys though, he far more valuable on the ice haha). Plus those who stat watch his playoff games, should actually watch him in those games....he's actually played well and if anything was guilty of trying to pass to Laine too much and should of shot more himself (if people don't want to watch him or believe Jets fans who actually watch the games and not just look him up on db.......look at his analyics during his career playoff games).

Reactions: Snowman and Nedarb

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Plus, Domi contract status, arb rights and new cutthroat agent.......all means I don't take Domi in any even close to fair player value trade......he's positioning himself for a huge contract and/or UFA. To be clear I like Domi, but his contract status & new agent make me say I have zero interest in him.......Ehlers is an automatic no chance and I wouldn't even trade quantity pieces to get him at this point......b/c you know he's bolting to UFA now if he doesn't get overpaid.

Correct, plus Ehlers is surprisingly good defensively. Guy puts up 60 point seasons with little PP time compared to other top line wingers, his zone entries are crazy good........plus he's now adding a phyiscal side to his game (I wish he would stop fighting guys though, he far more valuable on the ice haha). Plus those who stat watch his playoff games, should actually watch him in those games....he's actually played well and if anything was guilty of trying to pass to Laine too much and should of shot more himself (if people don't want to watch him or believe Jets fans who actually watch the games and not just look him up on db.......look at his analyics during his career playoff games).

Yeah my slight interest in Domi just completely fizzled out. I want no part of that mess after what we went through with Trouba. Like you said I like the kid but I'm not interested in dealing with his new agent, I'm guessing Chevy isn't as well.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah my slight interest in Domi just completely fizzled out. I want no part of that mess after what we went through with Trouba. Like you said I like the kid but I'm not interested in dealing with his new agent, I'm guessing Chevy isn't as well.

Agreed, I was disappointed when we didn't get him in the draft, I like him as a player........but my spider sense is tingling now......I sense a arbritation hearing in the near future for Domi......he's likely going UFA in two years if he doesn't get overpaid by someone before then. No chance I would trade for him now anything of value.

Reactions: Snowman

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Assuming we can extend RNH I'd rather just keep the Oilers playeres here
I think that Laine would be a huge add to Mcdavids wing and could bring out The best in Puljujarvi on that line.

I am not sure if switching Nurse to Broberg would change this offer to something the Jets would not consider but that is another option. RNH is a great player, but Laine is as well and he could be a superstar. The age difference helps Keep the window of winning open for the oilers as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
14 pages and I don't want to go through it all.

What are Winnipegs needs if they are looking to move either?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I would think half that would be fair. Domi + 1st.

The shift from hfboards overrating Laine to underrating Laine has been spectacular to see. He got what 80 goals before he was 20 and people think this is a good deal?! I'd advise you all to see Seguin, Tyler and tell me this is a good idea. Laine has incredible potential, dumping him for a deal like this would be nothing short of lunacy.

Reactions: Snowman and Pongs21

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Winnipeg needs a 2C and a top-pairing dman.

And to be clear, Laine is NOT available for just a 2C.

Cool, thanks for that.

From the Penguins, McCann could be a good 2C provided you put him with the complimentary wingers needed. He's a shooter so I would say stick him with a speedy wing and a playmaking wing, and he can perform. Cost would be right for him too.

We also have Bjugstad. Probably more of a 3C at this point but could certainly fill the gap at 2C with the right wingers.

For top pairing dmen, it's going to be tough, but it depends on what they get for Murray. If they can pull something like Murray for Larsson/Nurse, then I could see Dumoulin potentially being available.

Dumoulin+McCann for Laine? Dumo is signed long term for $4.1. McCann is a RFA but will likely come in at $3mil. I would also consider that package for Ehlers but would want something to help balance out on the other side.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Cool, thanks for that.

From the Penguins, McCann could be a good 2C provided you put him with the complimentary wingers needed. He's a shooter so I would say stick him with a speedy wing and a playmaking wing, and he can perform. Cost would be right for him too.

We also have Bjugstad. Probably more of a 3C at this point but could certainly fill the gap at 2C with the right wingers.

For top pairing dmen, it's going to be tough, but it depends on what they get for Murray. If they can pull something like Murray for Larsson/Nurse, then I could see Dumoulin potentially being available.

Dumoulin+McCann for Laine? Dumo is signed long term for $4.1. McCann is a RFA but will likely come in at $3mil. I would also consider that package for Ehlers but would want something to help balance out on the other side.

Remember when Laine was one of the best young players in the league and had one down season after scoring 80 goals by age 20...then still came back and played very well this year? Pepperidge farms remembers...hfboards CLEARLY doesn't. Dreadful offer.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Cool, thanks for that.

You can't be serious.. jfc

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I don't want to give up assets and then sign Laine to 10m+ a year. Buyer beware. Best case scenario for a Laine trade for the Jets imo is a contender decides to trade for him and just extend him for 2 more years to get him for 3 years of cost controlled production.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The shift from hfboards overrating Laine to underrating Laine has been spectacular to see. He got what 80 goals before he was 20 and people think this is a good deal?! I'd advise you all to see Seguin, Tyler and tell me this is a good idea. Laine has incredible potential, dumping him for a deal like this would be nothing short of lunacy.

I don't disagree, but Laine will also be on the last year of his contract. If the trade is for a signed Laine, that's an entirely different story. As it stands, sending a good 2C and a solid first for one year of Laine sounds like a fair deal in my non-biased opinion.

Edit: Jeez, I didn't realize Laine was still an RFA. I take back what I said, he's worth more than I had offered.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
jackets should be all over this.

Agreed but as I said earlier in the thread I don't know what to offer. (Interested especially in Ehlers.)

Jets fans seem to be targeting a 2C. Other than a scoring winger that drives the play, 2C is the other need to CBJ, so nothing to offer there. Neither of the two top defensemen is available IMO, so...

I would offer Anderson and Gavrikov (or Peeke) and hope that, after a few reasoned exchanges, something could be worked out. But if Jets fans don't think that works as a starting point, I think the Jackets are out of play.

Reactions: deflowd

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Remember when Laine was one of the best young players in the league and had one down season after scoring 80 goals by age 20...then still came back and played very well this year? Pepperidge farms remembers...hfboards CLEARLY doesn't. Dreadful offer.

Classic HF:

"What are your needs?"
"Top pairing dman and a 2c"
"Here's our top pairing dman and a 2c"
"OMG such terble offur!"

I think we all remember Laine's performance when it was good...but I think we all remember when it was bad as well. So doubt chastise us for remembering both the good and bad and considering how much money he will likely want and balancing it all out.

Any team that trades for Laine isn't just getting the brief durations when he scores...you're getting everything else that comes with it.

Now that said, you can easily get a better offer than Dumo+McCann...but that's what we can offer within the parameters of what you said your need are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->