Frank Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Frank Corrado - A poor man's Chris Tanev but that might not be such a bad thing:

Frank Corrado - A poor man's Chris Tanev but that might not be such a bad thing:

I don't know about you guys, but I think Corrado is going to have a solid year for the Canucks, and will be that #4 guy that we need. As most of us know, his style is similar to Tanev in terms of playing a smart and steady low risk style.

Corrado played quite well for us a few seasons ago, and I think he'll be motivated coming into this season (knowing that he has a solid opportunity).

My prediction is that Corrado takes a leap in his game, and fills in admirably as our #4 guy.

#TanevLight he might be this year, but I think that will be a good thing.

arsmaster*

I don't know about you guys, but I think Corrado is going to have a solid year for the Canucks, and will be that #4 guy that we need. As most of us know, his style is similar to Tanev in terms of playing a smart and steady low risk style.

Corrado played quite well for us a few seasons ago, and I think he'll be motivated coming into this season (knowing that he has a solid opportunity).

My prediction is that Corrado takes a leap in his game, and fills in admirably as our #4 guy.

#TanevLight he might be this year, but I think that will be a good thing.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...ucks+frankie+corrado+anti/11348382/story.html

Here is the article you've quoted. Not really much said, other than a typical Botchford barb at Bieksa.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Corrado is so underrated on here.

Yea he didnt dominate the ahl but he he looked better than most in the nhl.

Ahl is so much more about transition and puck battles in the nhl he was able to retrieve a loose puck so well and just find the outlet pass. And any shot on net was solid

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Corrado is so underrated on here.

Yea he didnt dominate the ahl but he he looked better than most in the nhl.

Ahl is so much more about transition and puck battles in the nhl he was able to retrieve a loose puck so well and just find the outlet pass. And any shot on net was solid

Agreed.

And for all of the "advanced stats" guys that clobber Sutter on here, I'm a bit surprised that many of these guys are using these stats to "pump Corrado's tires" so to speak. Corrado has pretty good numbers if I understand correctly. He plays a smart game and I truly believe that he'll be that #4 guy that we desperately need for this season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully he can get his game back on track this season.

Not sure what people were seeing in his NHL play over the last 2 seasons. To me, he's been terrible - looks like a player with broken confidence, way too tentative, poor gap control, physically overmatched. Didn't look like the same confident kid who moved up levels so easily in 2012 and 2013.

arsmaster*

But be honest:

Given what we saw from Bieksa last season and especially in the playoffs, can you really blame Botchford? I loved Bieksa in his prime, but it was definitely time for him to go.

That's not why Botch slanders him.

I expect to see a much better bieksa on a good team with a good partner.
-------

@MS - liked him more this seasons than under torts.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I thought he actually looked okay last year paired with Hamhuis. I think if he got some more time he would have settled in to the role, got some confidence and been the player he could be.

Instead we got Sbisa :)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hopefully he can get his game back on track this season.

Not sure what people were seeing in his NHL play over the last 2 seasons. To me, he's been terrible - looks like a player with broken confidence, way too tentative, poor gap control, physically overmatched. Didn't look like the same confident kid who moved up levels so easily in 2012 and 2013.

Perhaps the way he was yo-yoed without ice time told him they had no confidence in him. That will make a guy tentative.

I think his AHL playoff performance showed he's fixed that gap control thing I also criticized.

He will never be a physical specimen, but he will have to make up for it with his positioning, getting into a player's body and riding him out of his intended path without any heavy hitting. He skates well enough to do that. His first pass is also a key to his success. He was learning to shield the puck on the boards while maintaining his feet in order to work the puck to a mate or at least out of trouble.

At this point, Frankie's NHL career is in his hands. He will have to produce at this next level or he will become an AHL lifer.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Perhaps the way he was yo-yoed without ice time told him they had no confidence in him. That will make a guy tentative.

I think his AHL playoff performance showed he's fixed that gap control thing I also criticized.

He will never be a physical specimen, but he will have to make up for it with his positioning, getting into a player's body and riding him out of his intended path without any heavy hitting. He skates well enough to do that. His first pass is also a key to his success. He was learning to shield the puck on the boards while maintaining his feet in order to work the puck to a mate or at least out of trouble.

At this point, Frankie's NHL career is in his hands. He will have to produce at this next level or he will become an AHL lifer.

At the very least, Corrado rendered Adam Clendening redundant....and that can't be a bad thing alone after watching both in the AHL playoffs last year

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If he doesnt clear waivers (i'm not sure since i believe his first year is @ 19 and not 20), then he probably starts the year in Utica. If he needs to clear waivers, i suspect he'll be in Weber's role next year.

While I was among those thinking Corrado would be waiver exempt next season, it appears that isn't the case.

Exhibit 16 of the CBA reads:

15 Waivers 11 NHL GP threshold for 18/19 year olds for 2012-13 pro-rated (48/82)

48/82 * 11 ~6.44. Corrado played 7 NHL games in 2012-13, so his waiver exemption should be reduced to 3 seasons commencing 2012-13 and ending with 2014-15.

Imo we should expect to see Corrado spend next season with the Canucks.

I've completely forgotten, so forgive me for asking, but is Corrado waiver-eligible next season? Tyhee's post was the only thing I found in this thread regarding that.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
But be honest:

Given what we saw from Bieksa last season and especially in the playoffs, can you really blame Botchford? I loved Bieksa in his prime, but it was definitely time for him to go.

Agreed that it was time to move on. OTOH anyone who played with Sbisa looked like ****, so maybe Kev can bounce back a bit in a lesser role in Anaheim.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Thanks. In that case:

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Bartkowski-Corrado

ftw, though you know it would never happen short of an injury to Sbisa.

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Sbisa
Weber Corrado

It is important to get as many players out of position as possible.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
The decision to play Corrado in that San Jose playoff series and thus burn a year off of his ELC is looking like a brutal one. Seems to need another year in the AHL unfortunately

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Hope he just had an off-week, because that kind of thing really makes me worried about this kid. Doesn't even look like the same player. He looked almost NHL ready last time we saw him.

I know colds and flus have been going around a lot in Vancouver right now. Maybe that's it. Yeaaah... that's the ticket.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Always been overrated because of our lack of genuine prospects on D

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Always been overrated because of our lack of genuine prospects on D

Disagree completely. He was 'that good' in the 2012 and 2013 camps/preseasons. In the 2013 preseason he was probably our best defender.

He's just completely lost the plot. When we first saw him at age 19-20, he was confident, he attacked the play, he would make an extra move with the puck to create passing/clearing lanes for himself, and he drove the play forward with his confidence and skating ability.

Something has gone off the rails and the player we see now is hyper-conservative, always on the back foot and looks terrified of making mistakes. Won't make plays with the puck on his stick, backs in too far with poor gap control, and generally just looks like a deer in the headlights.

Wonder how his career would have developed differently if we'd kept him (as he deserved) over Alberts in 2013.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Disagree completely. He was 'that good' in the 2012 and 2013 camps/preseasons. In the 2013 preseason he was probably our best defender.

He's just completely lost the plot. When we first saw him at age 19-20, he was confident, he attacked the play, he would make an extra move with the puck to create passing/clearing lanes for himself, and he drove the play forward with his confidence and skating ability.

Something has gone off the rails and the player we see now is hyper-conservative, always on the back foot and looks terrified of making mistakes. Won't make plays with the puck on his stick, backs in too far with poor gap control, and generally just looks like a deer in the headlights.

Wonder how his career would have developed differently if we'd kept him (as he deserved) over Alberts in 2013.

I think Canucks management ruined him.

The confidence Corrado displayed back then is the same confidence that Hutton is showing now.

Hopefully we're successful with Hutton who looks like a beauty.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Canucks management ruined him.

The confidence Corrado displayed back then is the same confidence that Hutton is showing now.

Hopefully we're successful with Hutton who looks like a beauty.

Yeah, I don't think he was handled very well by either administration. Or maybe Green was just a poor fit for him in Utica.

He seemed to be a guy with high IQ and a great natural 'feel' for the game when we first saw him, and it looks like that's been completely coached out of him. Looks like a guy who's just thinking way too hard and desperately trying not to make mistakes.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah, I don't think he was handled very well by either administration. Or maybe Green was just a poor fit for him in Utica.

He seemed to be a guy with high IQ and a great natural 'feel' for the game when we first saw him, and it looks like that's been completely coached out of him. Looks like a guy who's just thinking way too hard and desperately trying not to make mistakes.

Agreed.

Considering the amounts of AHL games played, Corrado is by no means a bust as a 5th rounder. I still think he carves himself out as an NHL bottom pairing defense-men after more polishing. I'm sure he'll get games with the Canucks this season with injuries.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
A 21 year old spending weeks on end in the press box didn't exactly speed up his development either. But then again Willie saw something that made him not trust Frankie enough to dress him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille