Frank Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He still got in 63 total games last year, that is more than enough time to develop. Blaming coaching or management is fine with some players, but is a bit of a copout with Corrado.

He's an undersized guy with no elite qualities. Getting a few extra games wasn't going to change that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He still got in 63 total games last year, that is more than enough time to develop. Blaming coaching or management is fine with some players, but is a bit of a copout with Corrado.

He's an undersized guy with no elite qualities. Getting a few extra games wasn't going to change that.

Except we saw high-end qualities from him two years ago. He was our best defender in the 2013 preseason, far better than Hutton even has been this year. His mobility/IQ combination looked terrific and his first pass was very good.

But since then he's regressed terribly. I agree that blaming external factors is a cop-out (and I *hate* it when people do that with Schroeder or Virtanen) but something went off the rails. Probably his confidence was just too fragile.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Except we saw high-end qualities from him two years ago. He was our best defender in the 2013 preseason, far better than Hutton even has been this year. His mobility/IQ combination looked terrific and his first pass was very good.

But since then he's regressed terribly. I agree that blaming external factors is a cop-out (and I *hate* it when people do that with Schroeder or Virtanen) but something went off the rails. Probably his confidence was just too fragile.

Sure, but people always fall into this trap with mobile defensemen. They can fit into a lineup way easier than other guys because their speed will allow them to not make horrendous mistakes. It's why Corrado, Subban and Hutton look great in the preseason and Rafael Diaz can step right in midseason, while someone like Pedan takes longer to get acclimated in Utica. It's why Andrew Alberts looks like the worst defensemen in the league after the trade deadline, and the next season settles in to be being what he actually is - very bad, but not the worst player ever.

I've always said Corrado's biggest asset is that he can play both sides. We've dealt with so many ruined experiments of guys playing on the wrong side here the last 5 years, that having someone like that is valuable. Been missing it since Salo left. For that reason, he's on my team as the 7th guy. But for any more than that? He's a hard guy to project right now.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Yeah, I don't think he was handled very well by either administration. Or maybe Green was just a poor fit for him in Utica.

He seemed to be a guy with high IQ and a great natural 'feel' for the game when we first saw him, and it looks like that's been completely coached out of him. Looks like a guy who's just thinking way too hard and desperately trying not to make mistakes.

Agreed, he looks like a textbook example of a player that's been "overcoached". It's like he's second guessing every little move he makes, thus being slow in everything he does and having zero confidence to try anything.

But that's not necessarily coaches fault though. It's a stretch to say that our coaches have been bad and that they can't properly develop a player. A big part of this is the player's ability to handle proper pro coaching and effectively adding those new elements to his game. Corrado hasn't been able to do that. If the same thing happens with Hutton then we have an issue.

Also one thing I've noticed, Corrado looks like he is one of those guys who was a lot better when he was able to play lighter and smaller. As he has got bigger and stronger in order to handle bigger players, his other areas have suffered a lot. So sluggish skater nowadays. Just not able to effectively play and skate at his current weight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sure, but people always fall into this trap with mobile defensemen. They can fit into a lineup way easier than other guys because their speed will allow them to not make horrendous mistakes. It's why Corrado, Subban and Hutton look great in the preseason and Rafael Diaz can step right in midseason, while someone like Pedan takes longer to get acclimated in Utica. It's why Andrew Alberts looks like the worst defensemen in the league after the trade deadline, and the next season settles in to be being what he actually is - very bad, but not the worst player ever.

I've always said Corrado's biggest asset is that he can play both sides. We've dealt with so many ruined experiments of guys playing on the wrong side here the last 5 years, that having someone like that is valuable. Been missing it since Salo left. For that reason, he's on my team as the 7th guy. But for any more than that? He's a hard guy to project right now.

But again, he looked far better 2-3 years ago. And that included a stint in the NHL playoffs. His confidence is clearly completely shot.

I don't see we can even think of keeping him right now. He's not close to good enough.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, he looks like a textbook example of a player that's been "overcoached". It's like he's second guessing every little move he makes, thus being slow in everything he does and having zero confidence to try anything.

But that's not necessarily coaches fault though. It's a stretch to say that our coaches have been bad and that they can't properly develop a player. A big part of this is the player's ability to handle proper pro coaching and effectively adding those new elements to his game. Corrado hasn't been able to do that. If the same thing happens with Hutton then we have an issue.

Also one thing I've noticed, Corrado looks like he is one of those guys who was a lot better when he was able to play lighter and smaller. As he has got bigger and stronger in order to handle bigger players, his other areas have suffered a lot. So sluggish skater nowadays. Just not able to effectively play and skate at his current weight.

Agreed with all of this.

And I'm a bit worried we're seeing some of the same 'overcoaching' with Kenins - he also looks really tentative this preseason and like his biggest priority is not being out of position defensively.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Yes, and I'm not interested in exposing him to waivers. He's only 22 and has shown promise in the past.

And at the very least, he is cheap depth.

Ben Huttons been a nice surprise, but its almost a guarantee we're going to go through 10 d-men in a season, so having a guy like Corrado is huge when the rest of our depth is essentially Fedun/Biega/...umm... not even sure who

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, and I'm not interested in exposing him to waivers. He's only 22 and has shown promise in the past.

So how about a trade?.....surely there are other NHL teams out there with the same problem the Canucks have.....Saddled with a prospect overload and forced to expose players to send them to the minors.....frankly I question whether either Corrado or Vey would get scooped up if they were on waivers, but if there's a team interested in either one of them, a trade might be in the best interest of both players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I fail to see how keeping our 10th-best defender on the roster when he's playing terribly, just because we don't want to put him on waivers, is a good thing.

Most players clear. Max Friberg is a better prospect having a better camp and cleared yesterday.

_________

A guy like Biega has come to camp and played well, and deserves a chance. Corrado needs to rebuild himself in the AHL. He isn't an asset to this team right now.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Just 3 years ago, we thought he was Tanev with a better shot.

he basically was. he's gotten worse

if we just had 2013 corrado right now he's be our 5th dman. I dint want to waive him because he can probably get back there with some NHL time. and besides if he ****s up our year, good

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
A guy like Biega has come to camp and played well, and deserves a chance. Corrado needs to rebuild himself in the AHL. He isn't an asset to this team right now.

I think that's the most thing for him right now - getting big minutes in the AHL and see if he can get back on track. Though it can't all be coaching IMO, and I'd preferably keep him in the organization so if they do waive him hopefully they do so at a time when it's easier to sneak him through.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
he basically was. he's gotten worse

if we just had 2013 corrado right now he's be our 5th dman. I dint want to waive him because he can probably get back there with some NHL time. and besides if he ****s up our year, good

Agree with the post... And at the time we plaed an AV system that probably suited his play...

since then he has had Torts, Green, and Willie... Playing diffrent rolls for the Comets and two versions of the Canucks.

Alot is made here about the Canucks drafting and also the attitude of players like Jensen... I wonder myself if the Canucks are actually a bad team at developing prospects... They pat themselves on the back with how good they are with prospect camps etc but perhaps they just suck at takeing good players and getting them ready for the NHL..

Jensen was good in the SEL and Corrado good in the NHL both taken steps back last few year... And basically all others have not taken a step forward... Infact noone since tanev and before that the moose did the work for us...

Horvat is the exception but he jumped to the NHL... Something I think Corrado would have done had we kept AV... Possibly Jensen too since he looked good when he had a chance under AV...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Agree with the post... And at the time we plaed an AV system that probably suited his play...

since then he has had Torts, Green, and Willie... Playing diffrent rolls for the Comets and two versions of the Canucks.

Alot is made here about the Canucks drafting and also the attitude of players like Jensen... I wonder myself if the Canucks are actually a bad team at developing prospects... They pat themselves on the back with how good they are with prospect camps etc but perhaps they just suck at takeing good players and getting them ready for the NHL..

Jensen was good in the SEL and Corrado good in the NHL both taken steps back last few year... And basically all others have not taken a step forward... Infact noone since tanev and before that the moose did the work for us...

Horvat is the exception but he jumped to the NHL... Something I think Corrado would have done had we kept AV... Possibly Jensen too since he looked good when he had a chance under AV...

Vigneault is both one of the best coaches in the league, and one of the best at developing prospects. Pretty much every viable prospect/u-25 player the Canucks had between 2007-2013 massively exceeded expectations.

For sure there's a difference between AV and the coaches we've seen since. Don't know if that's what happened to Corrado though.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Option one: Keep Corrado as the seventh D and send Hutton down.

Pros: We're guaranteed to not lose any depth on D due to waivers; Hutton gets more playing time in a more meaning full role. (albeit inferior league)

Cons: Bennings mantra about guys earning spots in pre-season is crap. (not so bad I guess; if you don't like Benning.)

Option #2: Hutton earns his spot and the Canucks attempt to squeeze Corrado through waivers.

Pros: Hutton is rewarded for his play, Benning stays true to his word and Corrado possibly gets a wake up call. (Remember how good he was playing after he was snuffed by team Canada?)

Cons: We lose Corrado (possibly... but not likely imo) Hutton burns out halfway through his first full taste of the NHL... happens often.

Option #3: Keep Hutton and trade Corrado for a younger (or at least one waiver exepmt) prospect D.

Pros: Again, Hutton is rewarded for what he earned, Benning stays true to his word and we don't have to lose an asset on D. Not the same situation, but this would be similar to Chicago trading Clendenning for Forsling.

Cons: Benning has yet to show he can make a competent trade.

arsmaster*

Teams around the league can see our depth as well as their own, as well as league wide depth.

IMO I think the team could easily get Grenier, Corrado and even Linden Vey to the minors....Linden Vey for example isn't a top 9 forward on any team in the league, even Vancouver who isn't exactly a deep squad of talent. SO no team is claiming him to play on their 4th line.

Same with Corrado, the acquiring team would want/need to play him in their top 6 for a claim to be worthwhile, I just don't see it. He hasn't done enough at our camp to make our team, I can't see pro scouts licking there chops at the potential of Frank Corrado hitting the waiver wire.

I like Frank, I hope he can somehow find the form that had him on our team in the playoffs a couple years back and definitely want him to stay in the organization, but waiving him to Utica is the best for him and the team. He needs to improve and Utica also needs a veteran dman, which is what he'd be considered with that group down there this year. He'll eat #1 minutes down there and hopefully be better suited to help us in the long run.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Teams around the league can see our depth as well as their own, as well as league wide depth.

IMO I think the team could easily get Grenier, Corrado and even Linden Vey to the minors....Linden Vey for example isn't a top 9 forward on any team in the league, even Vancouver who isn't exactly a deep squad of talent. SO no team is claiming him to play on their 4th line.

Same with Corrado, the acquiring team would want/need to play him in their top 6 for a claim to be worthwhile, I just don't see it. He hasn't done enough at our camp to make our team, I can't see pro scouts licking there chops at the potential of Frank Corrado hitting the waiver wire.

I like Frank, I hope he can somehow find the form that had him on our team in the playoffs a couple years back and definitely want him to stay in the organization, but waiving him to Utica is the best for him and the team. He needs to improve and Utica also needs a veteran dman, which is what he'd be considered with that group down there this year. He'll eat #1 minutes down there and hopefully be better suited to help us in the long run.

Yeah, exactly.

I gave the numbers on waivers in a different thread yesterday, but I'll put them here again.

There were ~300 players waived at the end of training camp last year, and 4 were claimed. 3 were veteran fringe depth NHLers and the other (Panik) was a prospect who'd spent almost a full season in the NHL. There were exactly 0 non-established prospects claimed.

Teams have tunnel vision for their own prospects at this time of year and generally don't make room for failing prospects on other teams having bad camps.

Corrado almost certainly clears waivers. And if it wasn't for the waiver thing, it's just a slam-dunk he goes to the AHL right now based on his sub-par performance.

Keeping him here is leaving a bad player on the roster in a position he doesn't deserve for a reason that doesn't exist.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Agreed.

This is probably the best time of year to clear waivers.

Every team is healthy. Haven't heard of any player going down for an extended period of time. ie. no one blew out their ACL or something.

Biggest injury has been Eberle with a shoulder for 4-6 weeks.

If a team claims Corrado, then have to waive one of their own players. So, is Corrado an upgrade on another team's #7 Dman right now?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

there are some pretty awful defences out there.. you don't think the Oilers would take Corrado? he's gotta be an upgrade over a few of their guys. he's the one guy I would be afraid to waive.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
there are some teams using players like sbisa on their roster. would be crazy if he wasnt claimed

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
yeah the oilers like throwing young dmen against the wall and seeing if **** sticks, wouldn't be surprised if they took a shot at corrado, pretty sure they need RH shots too

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
there are some pretty awful defences out there.. you don't think the Oilers would take Corrado? he's gotta be an upgrade over a few of their guys. he's the one guy I would be afraid to waive.

Depends on their contract situation and the faith they have in their young players. I would think that sending Nurse down sends the message that they're past the days of throwing young players who aren't ready into the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad