Frank Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolClarkson*

We burnt a year off of Frank Corrado's ELC contract last year because (Gillis words) we wanted to ice the best possible lineup in the playoffs.

If we made this decision last year, then what is the rationale behind keeping him in the AHL now ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
We burnt a year off of Frank Corrado's ELC contract last year because (Gillis words) we wanted to ice the best possible lineup in the playoffs.

If we made this decision last year, then what is the rationale behind keeping him in the AHL now ?

Dat entry-level contract contract.

As had been said before, it's to get him more minutes. He's not going to make a lot more money on his second contract so it doesn't really matter in the long run tbh.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
They did say he'd get a look if any of the top 4 went down. I guess they are happy enough with Tanev despite his occasional gaffes to move him up to the top 4 instead and just play the bottom pairing of Stanton + Weber/Alberts a lot less.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'd also imagine that they weren't too upset burning that first year because their plan was likely to get Corrado big minutes in the AHL this year and then have him make the NHL full-time next season. There's a higher likelihood of him earning a big contract with a full AHL year and two NHL seasons than there would be with a couple NHL games, an AHL year, and an NHL rookie year.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It's all about his production.

I'd rather see him get 25 minutes a night in Utica and progress into the NHL rather than rush him into the league and get 8-9 minutes.

Once he's ready, he'll make the jump.

To be honest, I don't think he was ready last season. I'm not saying he played bad, in fact he was consistent and trustworthy, it's just I think he still needs some time in the minors to develop his game.

Tanevian*

Considering we aren't in a playoff spot, I think its more important to ice the best lineup possible now.

I guess if the Canucks thought that putting Corrado in the bottom pairing would be the difference right now then you'd be justified in thinking this.

That said, we are winning games right now without him.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Cuz AV was desperate not to get fired so he'd rather burn a year off and not hold back. Corrado was awesome though. AV, shoulda played ballard. He obvs. didn't remember who was playing in game 7 vs the hawks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If Corrado stays down for the year he's only going to have one NHL so he's going to get a manageable bridge.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It's all about his production.

I'd rather see him get 25 minutes a night in Utica and progress into the NHL rather than rush him into the league and get 8-9 minutes.

Once he's ready, he'll make the jump.

To be honest, I don't think he was ready last season. I'm not saying he played bad, in fact he was consistent and trustworthy, it's just I think he still needs some time in the minors to develop his game.

This so much, in case of injuries to any of the starting 5' then frankie gets called up, but hes better in the ahl getting 20+mins than getting 8-10. I say he gets a full crack at the roster next year

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
This so much, in case of injuries to any of the starting 5' then frankie gets called up, but hes better in the ahl getting 20+mins than getting 8-10. I say he gets a full crack at the roster next year

yup. this.

I think Frankie could easily crack the roster, but his development would be better served in the AHL getting big minutes.

On a separate note, also wouldn't be so quick to assume he will pass Tanev in the depth chart just yet. (as Tanev has been excellent)

Defeatist*

Burning a year off a rookie contract is only relevant for stars who are going to get big bucks on their 2nd contract, so you try to delay it by 1 year. Corrado isn't going to make big bucks on his 2nd contract, so it's kind of irrelevant.

How's he even doing in the ahl? I see he only has 5 points, which is disappointing.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Burning a year off a rookie contract is only relevant for stars who are going to get big bucks on their 2nd contract, so you try to delay it by 1 year. Corrado isn't going to make big bucks on his 2nd contract, so it's kind of irrelevant.

How's he even doing in the ahl? I see he only has 5 points, which is disappointing.

Frankie has played well and I would think is Utica's most dependable defenseman which isn't saying that much considering how bad Utica's D has been. His game is much more of a stay at home D rather than an offensive minded puck mover so it doesn't surprise me that he only has 5 points. He rarely, if ever jumps into the play which I would like to see him do more often. By contrast Yannick Weber came down and had 7 points in 7 games. Weber has a canon of a shot and moves the puck better in the offensive zone but Frankie doesn't turn the puck over as often in his own zone.

Bottom line is that Frank Corrado looks like he has potential to be a solid NHL defenseman but probably needs more time in the AHL to work on all aspects of his game where he will see 20+ minutes of ice each game.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Keeping Corrado in the AHL for the majority of this season will basically negate the burning of the 1st year of the ELC.

Corrado is in his first full pro year, the NHL dmen aren't forcing the Canucks hand to call Corrado up as well. No need to rush him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's funny how many people were adamant that Corrado would be back up here "real soon" after he was sent down despite outplaying a lot of others in camp. We seem to have a tendency to demote players to the AHL despite having great NHL camps and earning jobs. Oh well.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
It's funny how many people were adamant that Corrado would be back up here "real soon" after he was sent down despite outplaying a lot of others in camp. We seem to have a tendency to demote players to the AHL despite having great NHL camps and earning jobs. Oh well.
Yes, Weber and Alberts are awful, not NHL playoff team calibre.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
From a "Big Picture" point of view teams like the Buffalo Sabres and the Edmonton Oilers rush prospects up too soon because they have a need and think the prospects are NHL ready. Teams like the Detroit Red Wings are much more patient with prospects and give them more time to develop. Which model has been more successful over time?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
From a "Big Picture" point of view teams like the Buffalo Sabres and the Edmonton Oilers rush prospects up too soon because they have a need and think the prospects are NHL ready. Teams like the Detroit Red Wings are much more patient with prospects and give them more time to develop. Which model has been more successful over time?

I'm not sure Detroit has really developed many top 6 forward or top 4 defensive prospects in recent years. Though I agree you can't rush players the way Edmonton and Buffalo have. There's got to be some balance in between both extremes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad