Frank Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
A silver lining in a pretty weak game. Babysat Sbisa adequately.

I'd like to see him get another game. Sit Sbisa or Bieksa this time, and put Weber back in.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
A silver lining in a pretty weak game. Babysat Sbisa adequately.

I'd like to see him get another game. Sit Sbisa or Bieksa this time, and put Weber back in.

Maybe even try Corrado on the left side where he's played before:

Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Bieksa
Corrado-Weber

Honestly don't think there's anything really useful that Sbisa brings that Corrado couldn't for 2 mil less.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Maybe even try Corrado on the left side where he's played before:

Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Bieksa
Corrado-Weber

Honestly don't think there's anything really useful that Sbisa brings that Corrado couldn't for 2 mil less.

Not sure about this. Can't say how good Corrado looked the other night. Was falling asleep (busy day plus boring game), so I didn't watch more than one period.

However, the notion of switching a defenceman from one side to the other doesn't always work very well. Before asking a young player like Corrado to move over, would prefer to give him an extended run on his off-side in the AHL.

If he comes into the NHL and plays well for a game on the right side, leave him where he is. If he continues to play well, pair him up with Hamhuis and let the others fight over who plays on the third pairing.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Not sure about this. Can't say how good Corrado looked the other night. Was falling asleep (busy day plus boring game), so I didn't watch more than one period.

However, the notion of switching a defenceman from one side to the other doesn't always work very well. Before asking a young player like Corrado to move over, would prefer to give him an extended run on his off-side in the AHL.

If he comes into the NHL and plays well for a game on the right side, leave him where he is. If he continues to play well, pair him up with Hamhuis and let the others fight over who plays on the third pairing.

I can understand that, my main issue is getting Sbisa the **** out of there and it seems to be the only way to configure the rest of the D. See how Corrado does there and if he struggles, yeah, he'd have to go back to the right side. I just wanted #5 out of the lineup no matter what. :laugh:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I can understand that, my main issue is getting Sbisa the **** out of there and it seems to be the only way to configure the rest of the D. See how Corrado does there and if he struggles, yeah, he'd have to go back to the right side. I just wanted #5 out of the lineup no matter what. :laugh:

When Hamhuis gets back, you may very well have your wish anyways.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Stanton-Bieksa

Sbisa and Weber are rotating as odd guys out if Corrado continues to play like he did in his first game.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
When Hamhuis gets back, you may very well have your wish anyways.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Stanton-Bieksa

Sbisa and Weber are rotating as odd guys out if Corrado continues to play like he did in his first game.

I'd stick Hamhuis with Bieksa solely for the distant hope that Hamhuis can find Bieksa's 2011 brain for him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We really need to give him an extended look. See if he is a real option for next year's squad.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I know it's late, but boy he had a great game against Calgary.

Sedin's were teeing him for all dem one timers. The rest of our dmen really are struggling to find shooting lanes.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
We really need to give him an extended look. See if he is a real option for next year's squad.

I'd like to see if he is a real option for this year before spending assets at the deadline. Corrado may be an in house option for the defense leaving assets for upfront.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Stanton - Bieksa

Asking a lot out of Frankie right now but the other option is Weber which I am somewhat okay with aswell.

But yes it would be good to know if you could start to pencil Corrado in for next year.

arsmaster*

Corrado has a lot of experience playing both sides.

I don't care about handedness on the 3rd pair, if you're better off with him and Weber there, do it.

Don't just cave to Sbisa because he's played 300+ games and is the GM's prized asset.

Corrado looked better against Calgary than Sbisa and Weber have looked all season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Corrado has a lot of experience playing both sides.

I don't care about handedness on the 3rd pair, if you're better off with him and Weber there, do it.

Don't just cave to Sbisa because he's played 300+ games and is the GM's prized asset.

Corrado looked better against Calgary than Sbisa and Weber have looked all season.

Pretty amazing at what you can find out if you pencil a guy in once in a while. Even more amazing is how much better Sanguinetti is than Corrado. Something else we'll never get to see now that Frankie looks okay. Willie's stubborn demeanor is keeping him from finding the best talent available to the Canucks while he plays his favs instead. Just my opinion.

arsmaster*

Pretty amazing at what you can find out if you pencil a guy in once in a while. Even more amazing is how much better Sanguinetti is than Corrado. Something else we'll never get to see now that Frankie looks okay. Willie's stubborn demeanor is keeping him from finding the best talent available to the Canucks while he plays his favs instead. Just my opinion.

I totally agree.

Heck, Biega wouldn't look half bad on that 3rd pairing either. The decision to go with Weber and Sbisa and barely give looks to the callups has been one of the biggest issues I've had with the new regime so far.

He's too loyal to the guys who made the team out of camp, when most of them (outiside the Twins/Vrbata) shouldn't be able to rest on their laurels.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I totally agree.

Heck, Biega wouldn't look half bad on that 3rd pairing either. The decision to go with Weber and Sbisa and barely give looks to the callups has been one of the biggest issues I've had with the new regime so far.

He's too loyal to the guys who made the team out of camp, when most of them (outiside the Twins/Vrbata) shouldn't be able to rest on their laurels.

I find it weird too because earlier in the year there was a report saying Willie and Green have regular phonecalls so who knows what the deal is

arsmaster*

I find it weird too because earlier in the year there was a report saying Willie and Green have regular phonecalls so who knows what the deal is

It's loyalty to the guys he picked to make his team, nothing more, nothing less.

Loyalty is a great quality, but when it gets in the way of improving your teams performance it's going to draw ire.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a fifth-rounder, Frank Corrado has already exceeded expectations by getting games in the NHL....and at only 21, his game is progressing nicely here and in Utica....looks bigger, and stronger this time around and has developed a very good release from the point....if he continues to progress, 'Nucks will at the very least have a valuable depth d-man with some offensive upside...the best-case scenario for a late round pick.:nod:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

No one really has the right to be amazed... Most all of Van watched Corrado play his way onto the Canucks game day roster in their last playoff appearance... burning an ELC year... He would have been on the team last season if not for wanting to give him more minutes... I'm glad he stayed away from torts though... But for coaches and management to not know he would give a solid bottom pairing effort with a big RH shot from the point, they must have their head up their *****

I can only guess that they thought it a better way to develop him into a top 4 guy by having him scratched then play him...

At this stage I am a fan of trying Hammer Corrado pair

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Thing is, there's always been guys that produce in the AHL, but just can't cut it in the NHL (and I'm talking vets). Is he of this ilk? Maybe JB thinks so...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Frank looked confident the other night and had a little extra jump in his step that has been lacking from the D. I hope he gets some more opportunity.

arsmaster*

Thing is, there's always been guys that produce in the AHL, but just can't cut it in the NHL (and I'm talking vets). Is he of this ilk? Maybe JB thinks so...

When you're running Stanton and Weber in your bottom 3, I don't think this idea holds water.

Sanguinetti seems comparable to Weber through and through.

Heck Weber couldn't even hold down a spot on D here last season. He was a 4RW most of the time.

None of the guys currently not on the top pair have performed well enough not to take a game off to watch from above. Bieksa is the only guy who is probably above that (but likely needs it more than anyone).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
When you're running Stanton and Weber in your bottom 3, I don't think this idea holds water.

Sanguinetti seems comparable to Weber through and through.

Heck Weber couldn't even hold down a spot on D here last season. He was a 4RW most of the time.

None of the guys currently not on the top pair have performed well enough not to take a game off to watch from above. Bieksa is the only guy who is probably above that (but likely needs it more than anyone).

Thank you. This comment precludes my need to answer.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For me, Corrado's development makes the Sbisa deal look even worse in retrospect....can't tell me that if Corrado had been in the lineup from the start of the season the 'Nucks would have been any worse off...should have had confidence in him from the beginning, and plucked a promising prospect like Etem or Rakell from the Ducks instead...but then I don't think the 'Nucks would have been much worse off using Lack/Markstrom as their tandem instead of Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad