Frank Corrado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure Detroit has really developed many top 6 forward or top 4 defensive prospects in recent years. Though I agree you can't rush players the way Edmonton and Buffalo have. There's got to be some balance in between both extremes.

I think many rookies and young players find success when on teams with strong vets in key positions, like the Canucks have. We wouldn't be relying on rookies to win, like Buffalo or Edmonton, rather looking for small contributions and improvements in their individual and team games.

Corrado wouldn't be expected to carry the offence from the back end like Schultz is, or expected to be as big a part of the offence as Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle or Yakupov are.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I believe burning that year didn't lower his UFA age. So he just gets signed for a bridge deal a year earlier. If he just has one year of NHL experience at that point, he'll come cheap. Might even turn out to be cheaper in the long run than not burning that year.

BTW, the Canucks essentially did the same thing with Rodin when they burned a year off of his ELC while he was playing in Sweden.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I'm not sure Detroit has really developed many top 6 forward or top 4 defensive prospects in recent years. Though I agree you can't rush players the way Edmonton and Buffalo have. There's got to be some balance in between both extremes.

I know from watching the AHL Calder Cup finals last year Grand Rapids (Red Wings) and Syracuse (Tampa Bay) two AHL impact players Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist are playing major minutes in Detroit right now.

Tampa Bay is another good example as Steve Yzerman is trying to emulate what Detroit has been doing. The Lightning have 5 or 6 guys contributing to a much improved team this year that spent the entire season (minus a couple temporary call ups) in Syracuse last year.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Stanton plays the left side, Corrado plays the right.

Garrison has been played the right side this year, while we already have Bieksa and Tanev as nautral righties. Which one of Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev and Stanton would Corrado bump?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I know from watching the AHL Calder Cup finals last year Grand Rapids (Red Wings) and Syracuse (Tampa Bay) two AHL impact players Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist are playing major minutes in Detroit right now.

Tampa Bay is another good example as Steve Yzerman is trying to emulate what Detroit has been doing. The Lightning have 5 or 6 guys contributing to a much improved team this year that spent the entire season (minus a couple temporary call ups) in Syracuse last year.

Tatar and Nyquist each spent time in the NHL shortly after being drafted (or turning pro in Nyquist's case). They weren't regulars by any means, but each had a cup of coffee stint. You could argue that little stint last season for Corrado was similar to this. However, given the injury we have to Edler right now I wouldn't mind seeing Corrado up here for a few games again, and then send him back down when Edler is back. There's nothing wrong with giving him a year in the AHL to develop, but at least give him a taste of the NHL in situations like these to act as a measuring stick.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I think the replacement for Edler is less important than simply getting Edler out of the line-up. We've been rock solid without him.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Certainly Stanton has been a big surprise.

Corrado getting big minutes is good for his development. but before Stanton I highly expected Corrado for last 20 games and into playoffs.
We will see set him up as the man in Ahl and when he slots in whatever spot ...he plays like the man and.. performs well....and if we happen to have a injury to. Big pt. Dman hopefully he is matured to handle.that role at the big level

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I think the replacement for Edler is less important than simply getting Edler out of the line-up. We've been rock solid without him.

I am a fan of Edler but I wouldn't mind seeing him traded at the deadline to Edm for their 2015 1st :naughty:

I highly doubt they would go for that but Mac T is not scared to pull the trigger and they need help on D big time...

Allowing Corrado to slide into the lineup then praying for another Oilers 2014/2015 collapse. (but they would probably win the presidents trophy with our luck)

knoxdown

Apr 3, 2012
My biggest problem with Corrado not being called up is the notion "he will be called up to replace a top 4D, we don't want him playing 6 minutes a game."

Edler is injured, and if I am not mistaken being the toi/g leader on the team makes you a top 4 guy. So now that 25 minutes is being split between our other 5D, Bieksa + Hamhuis are now playing huge minutes which risks injury, Garrison, Stanton, and Tanev are also being ridden harder and finally we have Alberts still playing tiny minutes.

If Corrado is being primed for an NHL role this is the perfect chance to give him a 10-15 game assessment of his progress since last year/camp.

Sure some of Edler's 25 minutes will be split among our other 5 guys, but instead of adding 4-5 minutes to Ham and Juice's games each of those 5 guys could take on an additional 2 minutes and Corrado would still get a good 14-15 minutes a game, not huge minutes but still enough to progress his game at a professional level.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
My biggest problem with Corrado not being called up is the notion "he will be called up to replace a top 4D, we don't want him playing 6 minutes a game."

Edler is injured, and if I am not mistaken being the toi/g leader on the team makes you a top 4 guy. So now that 25 minutes is being split between our other 5D, Bieksa + Hamhuis are now playing huge minutes which risks injury, Garrison, Stanton, and Tanev are also being ridden harder and finally we have Alberts still playing tiny minutes.

If Corrado is being primed for an NHL role this is the perfect chance to give him a 10-15 game assessment of his progress since last year/camp.

Sure some of Edler's 25 minutes will be split among our other 5 guys, but instead of adding 4-5 minutes to Ham and Juice's games each of those 5 guys could take on an additional 2 minutes and Corrado would still get a good 14-15 minutes a game, not huge minutes but still enough to progress his game at a professional level.

Problem is, with the way both Tanev and Stanton are playing, they are proving more than capable of stepping in.

It's just what do the Canucks do with the #6 spot.

So far they have given it to Alberts and based on his NHL experience I get that but he's a plug who should only play against slow moving, bigger teams.

Weber should get more of a shot against smaller teams who are quick.

That leaves Frankie out for the time being barring more injuries.

At this point, just let the kid continue to play in Utica.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I am a fan of Edler but I wouldn't mind seeing him traded at the deadline to Edm for their 2015 1st :naughty:

I highly doubt they would go for that but Mac T is not scared to pull the trigger and they need help on D big time...

Allowing Corrado to slide into the lineup then praying for another Oilers 2014/2015 collapse. (but they would probably win the presidents trophy with our luck)
Please explain how this divisional trade happens and the market response in both cities.

Don't be ridiculous.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Agreed. This is the issue for me as well. It's a prime opportunity to check in on where Corrado is at right now...and they're not using it. It would be especially nice to get a better read on his progress now, so we have a more complete picture of where we're at in terms of depth and personnel when it comes deadline day and we're looking at potential pieces to move. If we were to move one of our other defencemen...is Corrado really ready to step right in without missing a beat? It'd be nice to know that, one way or the other.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Please explain how this divisional trade happens and the market response in both cities.

Don't be ridiculous.

well if you think Edmonton would give up their 2015 Lottery draft pick you gotta be crazy. It was more of a

fantasy then a realistic opinion. No Teams are trading their 2015 1st's

And I do believe they could make a trade with Edmonton but not for their 2015 1st. If you remember Vancouver and Edmonton had trade talks in the offseason for Cory Schneider, anything can happen.

Tanevian*

Don't be ridiculous.

I don't think the "how it happens" and "market response" are in any way connected.

The biggest issue is when Edler laughs at the suggestion of going to Edmonton.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
And it was rumoured that the Oil had offered more than we got.

I think it was a smart move to not play against schneider for the next 5-10 years even if the offer was slightly better but if the deal was a lot better then you gotta pull the trigger.

I agree Edler probably would laugh about going to Edmonton it was just an example. But with the option of having 3 RHD and 3LHD If we could find Edler a spot in say Detroit? NYR? Florida..

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
well if you think Edmonton would give up their 2015 Lottery draft pick you gotta be crazy. It was more of a

fantasy then a realistic opinion. No Teams are trading their 2015 1st's

No teams with a shot at McDavid, at least. Or is the 2015 draft supposed to be super wicked awesome deep again? Not that it means anything since that is said every year.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
corrado is not ready for the nhl yet. hes playing well in utica, but its not like he stands out. or gets way more ice time than other players. hes more of a defensive player than anything.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
corrado is not ready for the nhl yet. hes playing well in utica, but its not like he stands out. or gets way more ice time than other players. hes more of a defensive player than anything.

He did play in the NHL no problem last season and in the playoffs.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Tatar and Nyquist each spent time in the NHL shortly after being drafted (or turning pro in Nyquist's case). They weren't regulars by any means, but each had a cup of coffee stint. You could argue that little stint last season for Corrado was similar to this. However, given the injury we have to Edler right now I wouldn't mind seeing Corrado up here for a few games again, and then send him back down when Edler is back. There's nothing wrong with giving him a year in the AHL to develop, but at least give him a taste of the NHL in situations like these to act as a measuring stick.

They got those games in NHL because or injuries to both the regulars in the Detroit lineup and bench warmers.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
No teams with a shot at McDavid, at least. Or is the 2015 draft supposed to be super wicked awesome deep again? Not that it means anything since that is said every year.

no its not said every year, I don't think the 2015 is as deep as 2013 but how fast a team in the "new"

NHL can go from hero to zero ( see philadelphia flyers) not many teams want to risk giving up that draft

pick just in case...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Not that many years get the 2003 comparisons for real, 2013 did though.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

He's ready, but what's best for his development is the key issue. I think the AHL is best so he can get more situation time. He looked good last year when he was with the Canucks.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Yes.

This is apparently too logical for the canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad