NHL 19 Franchise Mode Thread

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's kind of annoying how prospect development is once again completely unnecessary in this game. Prospects have a set upside that they hit regardless of what happens to them after the draft.

I had a Top Six Medium RW who I drafted in the 1st round and developed in the AHL for five seasons, consistently putting up 40 goals. He was a 6'2 winger with great skating, two-way and shooting stats. When I took a job with another team, my original team released him to FA. So I picked him up and played him with Nathan McKinnon and Sebastian Aho and he led the league in Rookie Scoring, putting up 36 goals.

In the off-season his overall stays under 80, his trade value is still zero and he can be signed throughout his prime for under $2m. Meanwhile a forward prospect in my organization who was drafted in the fourth round three years prior has had his production in the AHL flat-line post draft. Constantly putting up goals in the single digits, minus player. He asks for $4m because he's suddenly an 84 overall.

The potential system is once again poorly executed.

Last edited:

ZedSe

Dec 19, 2018
Does anyone have any solution for the problem with automatic FA signings. I have 5 guys in AHL that don’t show up on contracts screen so I can’t get rid of them or even trade them. So I can’t use 3 prospects I’ve signed, I see the prospect in the contract screen but not on the edit lines screen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Does anyone have any solution for the problem with automatic FA signings. I have 5 guys in AHL that don’t show up on contracts screen so I can’t get rid of them or even trade them. So I can’t use 3 prospects I’ve signed, I see the prospect in the contract screen but not on the edit lines screen.

If you want to get rid of the 5 guys on your AHL team, you need to sign them as FA’s and trade them.

If the players don’t show up on your AHL team lines or roster moves, that means they are with their junior team. Only players 20+ can play in the AHL

Reactions: ZedSe

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If you want to get rid of the 5 guys on your AHL team, you need to sign them as FA’s and trade them.

If the players don’t show up on your AHL team lines or roster moves, that means they are with their junior team. Only players 20+ can play in the AHL
Only players who are 20+ that were drafted out of the CHL can play in the AHL. Otherwise, if they're drafted out of a non-CHL league, they can play in the AHL at 18.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only players who are 20+ that were drafted out of the CHL can play in the AHL. Otherwise, if they're drafted out of a non-CHL league, they can play in the AHL at 18.

Well Damnit n00b, I cant control the game

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
play 1-2 games a year normally. first one, and last one to get a feel for the players. if the playoff race comes down to final game (rarely does) i will let it sim

ZedSe

Dec 19, 2018

I did that with three of the guys, but then the AI signed 2 new guys. Didn’t matter that I had the auto sign option to off. Frustrated to say the least

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I did that with three of the guys, but then the AI signed 2 new guys. Didn’t matter that I had the auto sign option to off. Frustrated to say the least
Your farm team needs enough bodies to fill its active roster, so the computer will consistently fill it with duds so the team never goes under the roster limit--even throughout FA.

ZedSe

Dec 19, 2018
Your farm team needs enough bodies to fill its active roster, so the computer will consistently fill it with duds so the team never goes under the roster limit--even throughout FA.
Is it something you can do for yourself in the off-season? For exapmple signing some young guys? I don’t feel like having two 36 yrs old finish guys in my AHL team

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is it something you can do for yourself in the off-season? For exapmple signing some young guys? I don’t feel like having two 36 yrs old finish guys in my AHL team
I'm not sure, I've never tried. The contract limit would be a hurdle. I usually let these guys get spot duty on my lineup in the instance of injuries or cold streaks. They're essentially players on AHL contracts. Sometimes one will outperform my prospects and earn themselves an NHL deal.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
I just finished my eighth draft. I currently have 23 players under contract and over $16m in cap space. When I try to re-sign an NHL roster player, it tells me I'm over the cap limit. When I try to sign a prospect (on an ELC), it tells me I am over the roster limit. Anyone had anything like this?

ZedSe

Dec 19, 2018
I just finished my eighth draft. I currently have 23 players under contract and over $16m in cap space. When I try to re-sign an NHL roster player, it tells me I'm over the cap limit. When I try to sign a prospect (on an ELC), it tells me I am over the roster limit. Anyone had anything like this?
Something is seriously broken with the roster so far in this years nhl.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone have any suggestions for who I can acquire for my 3rd pairing? I'm looking for a RHD for my third pairing with not terrible skating (82-85 ideally), who can throw the body some, and have half decent passing. I need an upgrade for my third pair. At the moment I am rocking:

Left Side
Right Side
V. Dunn A. Stralman
K. Alzner J. Braun
J. Osterle N. Bealieau

Osterle and Bealieau kind of flip flop on left side. Looking to break up that 2 left handed D pairing. I need some bite on that bottom pairing to help shut down late in games.

Any suggestions? oh and I need the D option to be affordable ie guys in the 78-80 range in terms of overall.

Thanks ahead!

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Yes, but you can't sign guys to ahl-only contracts like the game can for you. I sometimes sign a few guys for my AHL team if I'd be using a bunch of 58 OVR guys. Just a few though because you get close to 50 contracts pretty quickly.

They used to annoy me, but now i like having the free ahl-only guys for the free contract spots.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Somehow they manage to get ridiculously cheap deals with their elite players. Not sure what's going on there.

To get players on cheap contracts there's a few techniques you can use.

Check your expiring contracts throughout the season, semi-regularly. As part of my July 1 routine I check what players are eligible for extension and how much they are demanding. Sometimes you can get them on a great deal right away here. Thereafter I'll check the expiring contracts every 1-2 months looking for good deals on the players I want to re-sign. If a player wants to re-sign you can offer him 95% or 90% of what he wants. You'll have to go at least 5% higher if he doesn't want to however. I have an elite 89 OVR SNP that just got off a 5.95M 4yr deal and re-resigned him to 8.5M 8yr deal ending age 33 by offering him 90% of his ask early in the season. The only players you should leave to sign in the re-sign phase is aging veterans as their demands will drop as their overall does.

Another option specifically with RFAs is to qualify them and then leave them unsigned until late in the summer. Their contract demands will drop the longer they go unsigned, just like free agents.

Reactions: sandviper

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Is it worth picking up for $25? The skating animations look way better. Are there any improvements for franchise mode?

*Just grabbed it for $24*

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
To get players on cheap contracts there's a few techniques you can use.

Check your expiring contracts throughout the season, semi-regularly. As part of my July 1 routine I check what players are eligible for extension and how much they are demanding. Sometimes you can get them on a great deal right away here. Thereafter I'll check the expiring contracts every 1-2 months looking for good deals on the players I want to re-sign. If a player wants to re-sign you can offer him 95% or 90% of what he wants. You'll have to go at least 5% higher if he doesn't want to however. I have an elite 89 OVR SNP that just got off a 5.95M 4yr deal and re-resigned him to 8.5M 8yr deal ending age 33 by offering him 90% of his ask early in the season. The only players you should leave to sign in the re-sign phase is aging veterans as their demands will drop as their overall does.

Another option specifically with RFAs is to qualify them and then leave them unsigned until late in the summer. Their contract demands will drop the longer they go unsigned, just like free agents.

I usually go 85% of asking, if I extend the term. Certain players I want to hold on to, I’ll offer 8 years if they want an extension and 85% usually works. But yeah, sometimes you need to pony up a little more.

What is stupid sometimes is players who don’t want to extend and you fight through the resign period. I had a player who was asking ~$7m for 6. I tried various offers but in the end he went to FA. I then ended up signing him for like $6.75 instead.

Reactions: Cypress

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Does anyone know if a players potential can be reached after the age of 27?

I acquired Erik Gudbranson but I'm still under the old ratings where he is a 77 overall ie an AHL'er. He's listed as having med elite potential.

I'm curious if he plays well enough on a good team in a good role if he can become like an 82-84 overall or higher?

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

I acquired Erik Gudbranson but I'm still under the old ratings where he is a 77 overall ie an AHL'er. He's listed as having med elite potential.

I'm curious if he plays well enough on a good team in a good role if he can become like an 82-84 overall or higher?
i've seen guys who have incredible seasons (mostly goalies) shoot up 7 or 8 overalls.... ie cam talbot was an 89 for the oilers in 2020.

as for players ie gudbranson, i have no clue if it's possible, i'd assume he'd need to put up something like 40 points to get to an 82-84 since the goalies whos overalls shot up were coming off seasons of ~.940 SV% over a full 50 games...

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
momentarily starting a new GM mode here.... not rangers lol, will probably revisit them in a few months.

was thinking of doing a what if fantasy draft scenario but don't know how fun that would be

toyed with possibility of expansion mode but don't like how you have to start before draft and guys like dahlin and svechnikov are not on proper teams

also was debating between philadelphia (say if they never hired fletcher), st louis (they may need a new GM soon), arizona (never seem to make progress), detroit (holland will be out soon), ottawa (dorion is brutal), los angeles (dumpster fire), chicago (bowman is next domino to fall).

any opinions within the next 1-2 hours?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
LA
momentarily starting a new GM mode here.... not rangers lol, will probably revisit them in a few months.

was thinking of doing a what if fantasy draft scenario but don't know how fun that would be

toyed with possibility of expansion mode but don't like how you have to start before draft and guys like dahlin and svechnikov are not on proper teams

also was debating between philadelphia (say if they never hired fletcher), st louis (they may need a new GM soon), arizona (never seem to make progress), detroit (holland will be out soon), ottawa (dorion is brutal), los angeles (dumpster fire), chicago (bowman is next domino to fall).

any opinions within the next 1-2 hours?
Chicago

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

The only stat I've seen receive natural growth after 27 is poise (very rarely), I saw Olli juolevi gain one point in poise at age 29.

However statistical growth is possible (if he plays in the NHL) up until retirement. Though gudbranson would need to put up a season similar to what you'd expect to see from a good 82-84 for him to reach that level. More likely you could probably get him up to a 78-80 if he plays well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad