Forward Patrik Berglund has been suspended indefinitely by the organization due to failure to report

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He doesn’t want to be in Buffalo. He’s clearly hoping he forces his way out of there one way or another or else he’d just request a trade.

His contract being terminated is a massive possibility here. He and his agent know that.
If he really just wants to leave the NHL he could just retire. That's his prerogative. The drama of a suspension etc really isn't needed if it's come to that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If he really just wants to leave the NHL he could just retire. That's his prerogative. The drama of a suspension etc really isn't needed if it's come to that.

I don't think he wants to leave the NHL.

I think he wants to leave the Sabres.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You think he'd be OK with giving up millions of dollars?

He's made nearly 30M in his career. He can still get a contract with another team if BUF terminates him, and worst case, he'd get a decent contract in Sweden.

Not all players just care about the money. It's pretty clear he wants out of Buffalo and it's pretty clear his contract is likely to be terminated, so I would say he and his agent are prepared for that, yes.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
The rough relationship with Patrik Berglund and the Sabres is starting to become clear

TL/DR

Per Friedman

Berglund (or his agent) didn't get his NTC list in on time to St. Louis. Implication being had they done so the ROR trade won't have happened in it's current form. Mutual termination of the contract is being considered by both parties.

Per the blog
Things started well enough, some of the younger Swedes gravitated towards Berglund. Eichel called him "The Swedish Godfather"

Things began to go so south after Berglund was a healthy scratch against San Jose.

Sabres knew he was frustrated but were caught off guard when he didn't show up for the plane ride to Washington.

Mutual termination is an option, as is Berglund returning to the Sabres.

Rumors that he had been partying it up are untrue.

Also not mentioned, but in the days before the no show, Housely had been saying that Berglund was sick.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
My question is, if the Sabres and Berglund terminate their contract, St. Louis takes a cap penalty.

After that, could Berglund sign with St. Louis?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My question is, if the Sabres and Berglund terminate their contract, St. Louis takes a cap penalty.

After that, could Berglund sign with St. Louis?
Why do the blues take a cap penalty? What basis is there for that?

BergLund is on a 4 year contract. Recapture only applies to deals over 6 years in duration.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I dont get why he would agree to mutual termination, is anyone else going to pay him that much for that long? He really should have just made the best of things, and be a mentor to the young swedes in the organization. Collect your money and watch a few games from the press box.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Why do the blues take a cap penalty? What basis is there for that?

BergLund is on a 4 year contract. Recapture only applies to deals over 6 years in duration.

Just going off what I heard from Sabres Twittersphere, because the salary is front loaded.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just going off what I heard from Sabres Twittersphere, because the salary is front loaded.
From my understand, it does not apply for 2 reasons.
  1. It can only be triggered by contracts signed prior to 9/15/12.
  2. It can only be triggered by contracts that are 6+ years long.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So from all the information that is out there it appears that a guy who was aquired in possibly the most controversial trade in team history where the consensus is we got completely robbed repaid us for putting our trust in him by literally quitting on the team. Unless there is a medical issue everyone is unaware of (and I can't believe that would be the case because if it was no way they handle it by suspending him) he should never play another second in this league ever again.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So from all the information that is out there it appears that a guy who was aquired in possibly the most controversial trade in team history where the consensus is we got completely robbed repaid us for putting our trust in him by literally quitting on the team. Unless there is a medical issue everyone is unaware of (and I can't believe that would be the case because if it was no way they handle it by suspending him) he should never play another second in this league ever again.

I mean, I'd think you guys would be happy to get out of the deal, if that's what ends up happening.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I mean, I'd think you guys would be happy to get out of the deal, if that's what ends up happening.
Oh absolutely. But if everything we've heard is true he basically acted in the most dishonorable and unprofessional manner possible. Should take an arbitrator 5 seconds to void his contract and there's the money to keep Skinner.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh absolutely. But if everything we've heard is true he basically acted in the most dishonorable and unprofessional manner possible. Should take an arbitrator 5 seconds to void his contract and there's the money to keep Skinner.

Yeah, really bizarre situation. Why wouldn't he at least have a meeting and request a trade and if he was really upset, negotiate a mutual termination. I'm looking forward to learning the details that are currently unknown.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Retire? Do you see the money he's still owed on that contract? He's got like 12-13M left still. Not a chance in hell he walks away from that...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I just think he didn't like being healthy scratched..... I mean I don[t blame him ... other guys were more deserving at the time like Sobotka and Thomas but still ...play thru it brother ..you're being paid millions to be a 4th liner.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
patrik-berglund-2019-33.jpg

chi777

Feb 23, 2006

I just want to but in here and remind everyone the most controversial trade in team history is the Hasek to Detroit trade. Carry on...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If you're Sabres management, Or, an attorney repping the Sabres best interest. You want to pursue a term of the contract, as well as compensation from St. Louis. Arguing that ignoring the M-NTC was not in good faith.

Will you get draft pick compensation? Probly not. But act like he was valuable to the team and get what you can, all while just being happy the contract is off the books.

Would anyone want Berglud on their team at this exact moment with that term left?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Shady buisness dealings by St. Louis if it's true they traded him without his list and bypassed his M-NTC.

St. Louis could deflect and say they thought he didnt care what team he went to because he didnt give his list to save their butts.

It is what it is. Sabres could get out from under a 4 million dollar contract that would have hampered us for the next 4 years and use the money that opened up to get Skinner and Girgensons signed.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Anyone knows if Berglund has shown up yet IRL? Is he really missing, like in a missing person?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad