Forward Patrik Berglund has been suspended indefinitely by the organization due to failure to report

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
m1vL4Gd.png

They actually removed my man from their website...:laugh:. This rules out anything personal that we may have been overreacting to.

I guess they're gonna look to terminate.

Remember when that Buffalo Bills player retired at halftime earlier this year...

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
i agree terrible trade, but The Blues had the pay RoR 7m bonus on july 1 i believe for last year, it was even said that had botts moved RoR after the bonus was paid the return would have been significantly better

still the sabres only hope to save face on this trade is if the blues tank next year and Thompson becomes a 20 goal scorer

is money a problem in buffalo? They should have just paid out the bonus and got a better return

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
To the people in here ripping on Berglund: Are you gonna come back to this thread if it comes out that he's dealing with something (mental illness, family matter) currently, quote your post, and apologize?

Since we're doing the tit for tat thing: if it comes out that he's just a dickhead will you come back and hold your hands up? :)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
i agree terrible trade, but The Blues had the pay RoR 7m bonus on july 1 i believe for last year, it was even said that had botts moved RoR after the bonus was paid the return would have been significantly better

still the sabres only hope to save face on this trade is if the blues tank next year and Thompson becomes a 20 goal scorer

True and the reasonable take of the whole affair was that ownership was pissed about the dwi embarrassment a few years ago and then got slapped in the face for Botts putting out a dead last roster last year.

So they dumped him for a loss to avoid having to write him another check.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
is money a problem in buffalo? They should have just paid out the bonus and got a better return

Our owner is the third or 4th richest in the league, and most of its liquid. He sold a huge oil company and took home 3+ billion. He also owns the Bills and that team is a cash factory.

The facts scream it was a personal thing with owner/management. On the ice he was well worth his money.

Reactions: SabresSharks

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Our owner is the third or 4th richest in the league, and most of its liquid. He sold a huge oil company and took home 3+ billion. He also owns the Bills and that team is a cash factory.

The facts scream it was a personal thing with owner/management. On the ice he was well worth his money.

so then why not just pay out the bonus and get a better return?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
so then why not just pay out the bonus and get a better return?

As I said it was personal. He had a dwi charge a week after he signed his deal. The team hadn’t been great while he was there and then he actually spoke honestly about how bad the season was. Ownership had just hired the two guys who led the team into last place.

It was personal or our management doesn’t understand basic trade value and negotiations.

I choose to believe Botterill is not a moron.

Reactions: SabresSharks

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
As I said it was personal. He had a dwi charge a week after he signed his deal. The team hadn’t been great while he was there and then he actually spoke honestly about how bad the season was. Ownership had just hired the two guys who led the team into last place.

It was personal or our management doesn’t understand basic trade value and negotiations.

I choose to believe Botterill is not a moron.

I don't think you understand what's going on here.

Insiders said the trade value of ROR was hampered because of the Bonus due July 15 or whatever it was. I'm not saying don't trade ROR. I'm saying if money isn't an issue, why not hold ROR until his bonus is due, pay the bonus, and get an even bigger return?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think you understand what's going on here.

Insiders said the trade value of ROR was hampered because of the Bonus due July 15 or whatever it was. I'm not saying don't trade ROR. I'm saying if money isn't an issue, why not hold ROR until his bonus is due, pay the bonus, and get an even bigger return?

I don’t think you understand.

I’m telling you Sabres ownership is not stupid. I’m saying everyone understands that having to not pay a huge bonus is valuable to many poorer teams in the league.

I’m telling you Pegula, the Sabres owner was pissed off and not willing to write O’Reilly’s name on a check again, even if that meant not getting the best return on his trade.

Try to keep up.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don’t think you understand.

I’m telling you Sabres ownership is not stupid. I’m saying everyone understands that having to not pay a huge bonus is valuable to many poorer teams in the league.

I’m telling you Pegula, the Sabres owner was pissed off and not willing to write O’Reilly’s name on a check again, even if that meant not getting the best return on his trade.

Try to keep up.

so essentially your ownership chose being petty over improving the team? What in the world does that say about your ownership?

In that case, the Sabres are pretty stupid.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
so essentially your ownership chose being petty over improving the team? What in the world does that say about your ownership?

In that case, the Sabres are pretty stupid.
we gave you context for the ror trade and why we got the return we did, and your sitting there saying "Your owners petty and stupid" Not really,TP didn't want RoR around our young ones and believe he was a cancer, he said he didn't love playing hockey and he highest paid player on the team, Our owner didn't like that, and said I'm not paying this guy get rid of him before july 1st. the blues pay the 7million the next day for the 17-18 season that he played with buffalo and that's the end of the story.

not the best move for the team

but the best move given the circumstance

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
we gave you context for the ror trade and why we got the return we did, and your sitting there saying "Your owners petty and stupid" Not really,TP didn't want RoR around our young ones and believe he was a cancer, he said he didn't love playing hockey and he highest paid player on the team, Our owner didn't like that, and said I'm not paying this guy get rid of him before july 1st. the blues pay the 7million the next day for the 17-18 season that he played with buffalo and that's the end of the story.

not the best move for the team

but the best move given the circumstance

right, and I'm saying why in the world does it matter whether you pay him the $7M or not if money doesn't matter, and the goal is to improve the hockey team? He's still not going to be anywhere near the team or have any contact with the young ones. You are literally just cutting a check. That's it.

Reactions: sabremike

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
right, and I'm saying why in the world does it matter whether you pay him the $7M or not if money doesn't matter, and the goal is to improve the hockey team? He's still not going to be anywhere near the team or have any contact with the young ones. You are literally just cutting a check. That's it.
It's odd that you're criticizing someone for not throwing $7M away. I get it, and I don't necessarily disagree, but it's just funny.

Reactions: Freeeeedom and LaGu

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It’s clear you haven’t been around wealthy powerful people. When you view power and respect in connection to money, trading O’Reilly before the bonus is a message to the league and the player that I would rather take a loss on this trade than do business with you.

This isn’t some Econ class based on pure logic and return. It’s the real world where people are irrational most of the time.

For what it’s worth plenty of Sabres fans think it was unbelievably stupid to make the trade the way they did. Everything being explained to you has been argued about for months on our board.

To this point, O’Reilly is the only obvious bad move Botts proactively did so far.

The evidence says ownership went rogue on this player. For personal reasons. The rationalization of whether it was a good idea is equally ridiculous, that O’Reilly was a team cancer, but even if you accept that stupid logic, it still doesn’t require trading him as you note before his value maximizes in the off season.

The fact that the best roster player in the deal from the Blues absolutely didn’t want to be here to this degree, just tells the tale even more of how half assed and rushed this trade was.

Lucking into Dahlin has softened the blow enormously.

Reactions: sabremike

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If St. Louis really traded Berglund before he got a chance to submit his NTC, that's insanely scummy by them. I feel like the fact that Berglund is willing to walk away from millions of dollars is a pretty damn strong indication of how little he wants to be in Buffalo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If St. Louis really traded Berglund before he got a chance to submit his NTC, that's insanely scummy by them. I feel like the fact that Berglund is willing to walk away from millions of dollars is a pretty damn strong indication of how little he wants to be in Buffalo.
How is that scummy? The guidelines were pretty f***ing clear: give us your no-trade list by July 1st. He couldn’t even do that. That is his own fault and he deserves to be traded for that. How irresponsible can you possibly be? And it’s laughable that you would blame anyone but him for that. He had plenty of time to do it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How is that scummy? The guidelines were pretty ****ing clear: give us your no-trade list by July 1st. He couldn’t even do that. That is his own fault and he deserves to be traded for that. How irresponsible can you possibly be? And it’s laughably that you wild blame anyone but him for that.

So he deserves to be traded because he didn't submit his NTC by the night of July 1st? Well that's just insanely stupid. It was 100% scummy of the Blues to trade a guy with a NTC while disregarding his NTC. He deserves blame for not getting it in on time, but that doesn't magically absolve the Blues of any wrongdoing. Trading a guy with a NTC to a team that definitely would have been on his NTC, just because he hasn't submitted it quickly enough, is just insanely scummy on their part.

Reactions: CrypTic

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So he deserves to be traded because he didn't submit his NTC by the night of July 1st? Well that's just insanely stupid. It was 100% scummy of the Blues to trade a guy with a NTC while disregarding his NTC. He deserves blame for not getting it in on time, but that doesn't magically absolve the Blues of any wrongdoing.
You are so out to lunch with this. He signed that contract OVER A YEAR in advance of being traded. He had a freakin year to compile a list. He missed the deadline. How in the world are you blaming the team for that? :laugh:

Submitting a no-trade list has gotta be one of the easiest things in the world. Just send the GM a list of teams. Can be done in seconds with email. There’s no excuse for it.

And by the way, Berglund was in Sweden. So by the time he was traded it was already July 2nd there.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If he missed the deadline it's his own damn fault.

The Blues should not have been fettered in the trade market by having to wait for Berglund's no-trade list while other teams complete deals on the players they want.

Bee there or be square. Show up on time!

Reactions: RoarBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad