Line Combos: Forward line-up: what would you do?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't think Little is going to get any better at this point in his career and his career trajectory has only one direction to go!
Last season was his worst p/60 since his rookie year. He should hopefully bounce back a bit from that.

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
You are talking about iCorsi. Individual Corsi works like that. Though I'm not sure what could be a reasonable way to calculate iCorsi%.

I have to say 64% to 47% difference is very high and odd given that they are almost glued together.
My mistake. And i was, because i thought the difference between E, L and L were too big between line mates for a team Corsi:huh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You are talking about iCorsi. Individual Corsi works like that. Though I'm not sure what could be a reasonable way to calculate iCorsi%.

I have to say 64% to 47% difference is very high and odd given that they are almost glued together.
The difference is easily explained by special teams. Laine might have a few Corsis from being out there at the end of a powerplay when the Jets still have control in the offensive zone. And Little gets a few AntiCorsis from being out there at the end of a penalty kill. It doesn't take much to flip the script in a single game:

Little CF 9, CA 10 = 47.37%
Ehlers CF 9, CA 8 = 52.94%
Laine CF 14, CA 8 = 63.64%

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Play Myers between Laine and Ehlers.
We get rid of him on D and he is so great offensively, he will fit right in with them...

Reactions: robertocarlos

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I'll ask this here... I'm no rocket sturgeon, but aren't stats meaningless without a "significance level" or some such....when I took stats, soooo long ago, you needed to understand if the difference was simply noise/variance or if the stat indicated something really was happening. So when i see everyone showing complex bar graphs and breakdowns.of Corsi etc i never really know what a significant difference is. is the difference between good and average 1% 10% 40% or more like 120%.... like on the ice. if I was watching 2 kids and they were 15% Corsi difference between them. could i really see that? case in point Bencharot has CF%52.2 Connor has 52.0 playoffs..... so what does that really tell me? is .2 that big a difference? what is a significant difference? .2? .002? .000002?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'll be happy if Little gets 43 points this year.

So Roslo needs to fill in some of that production.

Copp could be a good option at C. But he is gluex to Lowry now like Wheeler to Scheifele.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
The difference is easily explained by special teams. Laine might have a few Corsis from being out there at the end of a powerplay when the Jets still have control in the offensive zone. And Little gets a few AntiCorsis from being out there at the end of a penalty kill. It doesn't take much to flip the script in a single game:

Little CF 9, CA 10 = 47.37%
Ehlers CF 9, CA 8 = 52.94%
Laine CF 14, CA 8 = 63.64%

Those are 5v5 stats.

If you add pp and pk then the difference is even bigger.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Those are 5v5 stats.

If you add pp and pk then the difference is even bigger.

The post you quoted explained it though... at the end of a power play, when the penalty is already over, you might have some positive corsi occurences which are already 5v5. And the opposite for penalty kill, you get your man back but are still hemmed in your own zone for a bit after the penalty. Again, already 5v5.

Reactions: KingBogo

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The intense analysis of 15m worth of Corsi events (which I'm also guilty of) is interesting, but let's get back to the topic of the original post: how would people "fix" the 2nd line.

Thanks.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Looks like the line was already "fixed" :D :sarcasm: :naughty:

Fix Definition.png

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't every team full of players who are very very willing to get paid a million or two a season for digging up pucks for players like Ehlers and Laine. And be happy doing it. If I had better memory, I could name a dozen awesome offensive lines, both past and present, which were basically built around a highly skilled and creative offensive duo, and a hardworking 3rd wheel.

The Jets have highly skilled offensive players in Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic I think will also get there - Then there are guys like Perrault, Copp, Tanev, Lowry, maybe even Lemieux, Petan, Dano...

Tanev - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Connor - Lowry - Little
Perrault - Roslovic - xxxxx

3rd line still has two centers, Connor gets to develop his defensive game and also help the line find some offense, while Roslovic gets to learn being NHL center in a sheltered role in the 4th line, while beasting on easy matchups with Perrault, until eventually he can be moved to 2C.

I just came up with that while typing, I'm sure it could be optimized and wingers moved around, but you get the idea and something like that would make the Jets a true 3 / 4 line team. I know everyone is in love with CSW and CLT, but really, with the Jets depth, do they really need a shutdown line which can't produce offence?

I know a total blender like that won't happen, because they didn't experiment with anything, EVER. Not preseason, not whent they clinched playoff spot, not the season before that during carbage time... Only way is a horrible losing streak, and no one wants that.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Exercise 2: fix it by swapping two players between any two lines

swap Little with Copp
swap Ehlers with Connor
swap Laine with Wheeler
swap Little with Scheifele

I think any of those swaps would have the potential to make the 2nd line a lot better, while maintaining or possible even improving the quality of the other line also.

Reactions: Tommigun

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Exercise 3:

Insert a horde of annoying Irish potato farming O'Connor fans, who hype him up to the point everyone and their dog wants to see farmboy moved away from Scheifele so he can learn to produce his own offence, instead of being a product of Scheifele and Wheeler. This leaves a vacant spot in the first line for Little, to move back to wing to get his offence going in that great first line. In an novelty seeming move, the 2nd line will be formed of 3 young wingers, to great success, proving once and for all centers are overrated.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't every team full of players who are very very willing to get paid a million or two a season for digging up pucks for players like Ehlers and Laine. And be happy doing it. If I had better memory, I could name a dozen awesome offensive lines, both past and present, which were basically built around a highly skilled and creative offensive duo, and a hardworking 3rd wheel.

The Jets have highly skilled offensive players in Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic I think will also get there - Then there are guys like Perrault, Copp, Tanev, Lowry, maybe even Lemieux, Petan, Dano...

Tanev - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Copp - Laine
Connor - Lowry - Little
Perrault - Roslovic - xxxxx

3rd line still has two centers, Connor gets to develop his defensive game and also help the line find some offense, while Roslovic gets to learn being NHL center in a sheltered role in the 4th line, while beasting on easy matchups with Perrault, until eventually he can be moved to 2C.

I just came up with that while typing, I'm sure it could be optimized and wingers moved around, but you get the idea and something like that would make the Jets a true 3 / 4 line team. I know everyone is in love with CSW and CLT, but really, with the Jets depth, do they really need a shutdown line which can't produce offence?

I know a total blender like that won't happen, because they didn't experiment with anything, EVER. Not preseason, not whent they clinched playoff spot, not the season before that during carbage time... Only way is a horrible losing streak, and no one wants that.
It’s a valid argument though. A tanev type in the second line would be a good addition.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Saw a bit of the Leafs tonight, but this has been obvious for some time. They swarm the net like piranhas and are frequently rewarded for it. By comparison the Jets are like tumbleweeds in the desert, rolling through every once in a while, especially Ehlers and Laine. There are lots of goals available within 10-20 feet of the net if they'd care to collect them. That's on coaching and the players IMO.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Not enough puck for Laine and Ehlers.

Put Laine with a greasy goal scorer with soft hands up close and a play making centre. I agree with @Board Bard, lot of goals in tight

Not sure what to do with Ehlers. He's overthinking the game this year.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Looks like the line was already "fixed" :D :sarcasm: :naughty:

View attachment 145945

substantives
"a difficult or awkward situation from which it is hard to extricate oneself; a predicament.
how on earth did you get into such a fix?"
synonyms: predicament, plight, difficulty, awkward situation, corner, tight spot, mess, mare's nest...

a dose of a narcotic drug to which one is addicted.
"he hadn't had his fix"
synonyms: dose, hit

:sarcasm::naughty::D

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Not enough puck for Laine and Ehlers.

Put Laine with a greasy goal scorer with soft hands up close and a play making centre. I agree with @Board Bard, lot of goals in tight

Not sure what to do with Ehlers. He's overthinking the game this year.

Ehlers is an extremely streaky player. I would not necessarily worry too much about him. He's the kind of a guy that can suddenly start scoring, simply because of his speed. That is, if he is given opportunities to play more than 10 minutes.

Laine definitely needs some help right now. I think what would help him the most is a winning strategy on PP, helping him open up the scoring. The PP strategy right now sucks, way too stationary and predictable. The individuals involved are the only ones carrying it.

What I'm happy with is that he's not really making too many blunders (atleast ones directly leading to the team conceding goals) and he's trying to get more physical in there, something he is going to need to do if he wants to learn how to win the board battles. So atleast there's a silver lining in that.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Perreault should never have been taken off that 2nd line. That line looked great in the St Louis game even if they did not score. Little looks good with Perreault. He's a puck hound who does the dirty work to maintain ozone possession so that Laine can just shoot. I understand Ehlers wasn't seeing enough ice but that's a problem for another day with another solution.

Put Perreault back on that 2nd line. Little is in Year 1 of his 6 year deal, we have to find a way to get him going. Perreault can help.

Time to also try Petan in a significant role. He could be the Jets hidden ace in the hole.

Reactions: 19GoalsInPlayoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad