Line Combos: Forward line-up: what would you do?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hah! Dano used more!? Dano is the most overrated player I have ever seen in the NHL. The guy is absolutely useless at the NHL level. Pointless also in 8 games in the Avs and playing like crap there too (I have watched all Colorado games so far this season). And yet some people want to constantly promote a player like Dano, because he has so nice underlying stats. Just shows how little those underlying stats should be trusted. With Dano I trust my own eyes and the real end results describing stats like goals and points. And all these tell me easily that Dano is complete crap. Most probably his time in the NHL is soon up. No use at that level.

We think exactly the same on Dano IPP -- I've always thought that Dano was useless, and he's still proving us right. How he still is in the NHL is beyond me. We didn't lose anything by letting him go.

Reactions: Ippenator

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hah! Dano used more!? Dano is the most overrated player I have ever seen in the NHL. The guy is absolutely useless at the NHL level. Pointless also in 8 games in the Avs and playing like crap there too (I have watched all Colorado games so far this season). And yet some people want to constantly promote a player like Dano, because he has so nice underlying stats. Just shows how little those underlying stats should be trusted. With Dano I trust my own eyes and the real end results describing stats like goals and points. And all these tell me easily that Dano is complete crap. Most probably his time in the NHL is soon up. No use at that level.

"Used more" is a relative term. 8mins vs 7 mins for a random example is used more.
No one suggested him to take minutes over Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, or Perreault. More like over Tanev, Matthias, Lemieux, Thorburn, etc.

Out shooting, outscoring, and point production relative to ice time isn't "crap." You're saying underlying stats while missing the point that these underlying statistics ARE real end results. It's just adding context to those results. Scoring 5 points in 50 mins is more impressive than scoring 5 points in 500 minutes.

I mean, one of the things people used for Dano was that he did score more in goals and points, when looking at how often he played.

Example: For Dano's time in WPG he scored 21 points in 890 mins... or 92% the pace.
Copp scored 2.4 times that but he had 2.7 times as many minutes... or 92% the pace.
Armia scored 1.9x that but also had 2.2 times as many minutes... or 89% the pace.
Mathias scored 67% of that with almost as many minutes (89%)... or 75% the pace.
Tanev scored 1.1x (one more point) that but has had 1.5 times as many minutes... or 73% the pace.
Thorburn, Halischuk Lemieux, etc. have all done markedly worse.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
"Used more" is a relative term. 8mins vs 7 mins for a random example is used more.
No one suggested him to take minutes over Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, or Perreault. More like over Tanev, Matthias, Lemieux, Thorburn, etc.

Out shooting, outscoring, and point production relative to ice time isn't "crap." You're saying underlying stats while missing the point that these underlying statistics ARE real end results. It's just adding context to those results. Scoring 5 points in 50 mins is more impressive than scoring 5 points in 500 minutes.

I mean, one of the things people used for Dano was that he did score more in goals and points, when looking at how often he played.

Example: For Dano's time in WPG he scored 21 points in 890 mins... or 92% the pace.
Copp scored 2.4 times that but he had 2.7 times as many minutes... or 92% the pace.
Armia scored 1.9x that but also had 2.2 times as many minutes... or 89% the pace.
Mathias scored 67% of that with almost as many minutes (89%)... or 75% the pace.
Tanev scored 1.1x (one more point) that but has had 1.5 times as many minutes... or 73% the pace.
Thorburn, Halischuk Lemieux, etc. have all done markedly worse.

Dano could score. But two things affected his ice time. A penchant for penalties because he lacked top speed, and that he couldn't factor into special teams. He was heralded as a good PP player, but he never really took off with that role. He'll bounce around with his nose for the net though.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im good with the forward line up the last 2 games.

Not complaining ;)

Defense needs a little work still.

Niku should be playing.
Buff can carry him a little bit til he takes off.

His offensive instinc will be an added arsenal to the Jets offense.

Then try to trade for a middle pairing D to play with Myers :) at the bottom pair so they can eat up opponents again.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Last night's game was great example of how Laine only needs that one player who can think the game at the higher levels. Although I wasn't certain if Connor could/would be that guy but I suspected that he might be - as opposed to being just a byproduct of Scheifele and Wheelers. Last year that guy was Stastny and the year before Scheifele. Still even I had to admit of being a bit surprised seeing them fair this well having Little on board of whom Laine has proven of having little to none chemistry with. Of course it's been just a couple of games so I'd prefer not to get too excited about it, but so far so good. After/during the Finland tour Laine seemed to have found his game and instead of trying to build up from that form, they would keep him down in the bottom six which seemed as absurd as it sounds. Kind of strange it took this long to even try this combination. The team might have made it to the playoffs with one working 5vs5 unit but they wouldn't have made it far. Looks like there could actually be two scoring lines finally and if Roslovic can work his way up, that second line could turn into a gold mine. I still think Wheelers would be better fit for Little but as long as both lines are getting minutes and Laine and Connor are able to find each other, I don't really mind. With that said I don't think I've ever seen the two passing to each other on the powerplay but yesterday they even did that, ha.

Ideal combination:

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Little/Roslovic - Wheelers
Vesalainen - Little/Roslovic - Perreault
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Or:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheelers
Connor - Roslovic/Little - Laine
Vesalainen - Lowry - Copp
Petan - Little/Roslovic - Perrault

Kind of fine with either as long as the two lines get somewhat even minutes. Not sure what the plan is with Vesalainen, but if I had to drop someone I'd probably be Tanev cause he doesn't really provide much if any offence and has only one good attribute (speed). I'd like to see if Roslovic had enough in him to enforce that second line, but I don't see Maurice ever dropping Little to fourth line, well not until next year anyway when the decline is starting to really wear him out. That is unless he gets injured and Roslo unseats him by great performance - following the usual pattern of changing the pecking order under Maurice's reign.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Loved the results of the Connor line.....all lines the same for now.
I like Troubas game this year and think he's the guy to protect Nick into the 2nd pairing.

Morrissey Buff
Niku Trouba
Chariot Myers/ Poolman

This frees up Buff to attack
Makes 3rd pairing much stronger.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
The Jet's should keep the lines exactly as they are tight now :

The most important thing we see is that Connor can drive that 2nd line, and he looks to be the answer to getting Laine scoring again. If this continues, we will have 2 potent scoring lines. Let this new 2nd line gel, and see what it can do. It would be a big mistake to mess with this 2nd line, as both Connor and Laine are scoring, and seem to have great chemistry together.

Little is fine right now , as he compliments that line by working in the defensive end, getting possession of the puck and passing it up to Connor, who can make offensive zone enteries, and make plays happen. Little works from behind right now on the rush, but he's still a very competent 2 way center. If it so happens that someone like Roslovic eventually replaces him, then so be it, but right now Little is OK there.

In summary -- I'd definitely would touch the lines right now -- we have 2 very potent scoring lines.

First-- -- E S W -- Ehler's belongs here - still needs to develop confidence.

2ND --- C L L -- With Connor on this line --it looks dynamite, with Laine.

3RD --- C L T -- not a scoring line at all-more of a shut down line

4TH --- P P R -- Roslovic, and Petan will only get better, improving all the time.

I hope the lines are set now, and let them play together, and develop. I really think we've found some "magic" by moving Connor down to play on the 2nd line.
GNP, I believe you're right. Keeping the lines together is the way to go right now. The added chemistry and getting to know one another will lead to greater results going forward. Maurice seems to be warming up to evening up the usage somewhat, now that he sees the potential of all lines to do their jobs. The Lowry line the way that it is currently constituted is a premium shut-down line, one of the best in the NHL (no stats, just eye-test). ESW and CLL will figure out the 5 on 5 scoring. The necessary initial signs are all there. Development will bring the rest. RPP, with even slightly increased ice-time, will not only keep the opposing team penned in defensively but will begin to pot some goals as they get to know each other better. Again, the initially necessary signs appear all to be there. It is an exciting time to be a Jet fan. The team is good now, but there also still seems to be so much potential for development, a development that is more than a pipe-dream or mirage but appears to be currently underway.

Reactions: GNP

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
They tried Patty and KC together last year but it was very brief, one or two games maybe. Sometime around the middle third of the season I think. Could been during Nickels' injury.

I remember it well because there were a few of us quite excited about it at the time. It didnt materialize but this year with Pate's added speed and KC's added confidence and experience, it could work much better.

:crossfing

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->