Line Combos: Forward line-up: what would you do?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I think we are getting to the point where ELL is being severely underrated :laugh: I don't think they are as bad as most makes them out to be.. I agree that they don't have great chemistry and also think they would be even better in a different configuration but this thread is making it sound like they are a bad 4th line. 2/3's of that line put up 1st line numbers with low atoi on a supposed dysfunctional line. I don't even think it would be a disaster to keep them together.. Just play them 17-20 min a night and they will be fine..

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 3.34.22 PM.png

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Winnipeg Jets Must Find Patrik Laine's Centre

I put that link here also as it can be part of the solution. (Delete if not ok).

One can argue that putting Laine And Ehlers into stastny caliber type of center not even scheifele.
They are as good as CSW or better.
Jets have 2 elite 1st line.
But making that happen will be tough.

I like KC with Schiefele now but Wheeler with Schiefele there is an option for the team that is much better.
The link is more realistic though than 55 and 26 getting split up.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Roslovic would be better fit with Connor (AHL established chemistry) & Wheeler than Laine & Ehlers.

Where does that leave Little though? Playing 10 minutes or less a night on the 4th line? Signed for 6 more seasons.... and these are supposed to be the good ones.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In terms of "fixing" the 2nd line, breaking up C-S-W or C-L-T isn't happening anytime in the near future. They are how we are winning. The most logical move is giving Rosie a chance with Ehlers and Laine. But E & L need to do their part and take some of the load off a young center adapting to tougher competition. Laine needs to push the play more and be stronger along the boards and Ehlers needs to start thinking as fast as his feet move and not defer to Laine so much. I think Rosie adapts quickly and this line soon starts producing well. MP-Little-X is a 4th line that just isn't fair to the rest of the league.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Roslovic would be better with Connor (AHL chemistry) & Wheeler (Vet) than Laine & Ehlers.
Where does that leave Little though? Playing 10 minutes or less a night on the 4th line? 6 more years.... and these are supposed to be the good ones.
Well, certainly no agenda here.....

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Well, certainly no agenda here.....

If anything Maurice would trust E-R-L even less in close game situations. Roslovic is basically a rookie, playing C for the first time at the NHL level. That's not going to lead to increased minutes. It's possible they might play less with a newly formed $10+ mill 4th line in the mix.

Splitting up Wheeler & Scheifele is the solution. That's the only way you're going to have 2 top six lines PoMo trusts.

Last edited:

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Where Laine and Ehlers any better last year with Stastny? First few games looked good, but as far as offensive output, I think there were probably not any better than with Little. I think those two wingers need to learn to go get the puck, that is such an important part of the game.

I actually think Ehlers to the top line and Connor to the second would be the best option right now. Connor is so smart and can at least go get the puck, I think that's the best chance to get the second line going while PoMo keeps Little on that line.

Something needs to change, but I don't think Rosco is nearly ready & Schief is kinda busy getting setup by Tanev on the first line.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
In terms of "fixing" the 2nd line, breaking up C-S-W or C-L-T isn't happening anytime in the near future. They are how we are winning. The most logical move is giving Rosie a chance with Ehlers and Laine. But E & L need to do their part and take some of the load off a young center adapting to tougher competition. Laine needs to push the play more and be stronger along the boards and Ehlers needs to start thinking as fast as his feet move and not defer to Laine so much. I think Rosie adapts quickly and this line soon starts producing well. MP-Little-X is a 4th line that just isn't fair to the rest of the league.

Only part of that plan that concerns me is defensively Laine/Ehlers/Roslovic aren’t great......they would be a threat at both ends of the ice.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Only part of that plan that concerns me is defensively Laine/Ehlers/Roslovic aren’t great......they would be a threat at both ends of the ice.

Agree and I'd rather do Perreault Roslovic Laine all day, but where does that leave Ehlers?

IMO Little and Ehlers do work alright together, but they need someone like... Perreault on their line. Dano? Petan?

This also likely buries Ehlers in TOI hell..

Reactions: Hunter368

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think Little/Petan/Ehlers and Little/Ehlers/Dano should both work, especially with one of the stronger D pairs. Speed, passing, and some checking. Dano can work the boards and cuts off a ton of D-F passes and both he and Ehlers draw penalties. Worth a shot.

Reactions: Jack722

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree with all of this -
If E and L do their part, this becomes much easier. It's kind of funny since if you were able to get these 2 to do a little of the O zone heavy lifting, the Little concerns would likely be a non-factor any way.
Regardless, give it a shot - but don't leave it in place if Roz is having problems - this might be too much for him too soon which is why Little is there in the first place.
Little / MP / Lemieux would be an interesting Energy / Skilled 4th

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't see any logical evidence that Roslovic makes the 2nd line better, with Ehlers-Laine. That's pure speculation. Roslovic is not defensively more sound that Little. This could be a worse line, without a vet to protect the d-zone as Little did last night. Roslovic still needs to work on coverage.

I think when analyzing Ehlers-Laine it should not just be the centre who gets consideration. The d pairing is important too.

Since Morrissey-Trouba play most with Lowry's line, and Buff with Scheifele's line, that has left LLE with Morrow-Myers. That pairing has not moved the puck particularly well, which has caused some long defensive shifts.

Last year's Ehlers-Stastny-Laine line played a lot with Enstrom-Buff. And Morrow. Buff brought an additional element of possession.

I would like to see Niku get a chance with Myers, at some point. Niku moves the puck very well, which I think would play into the transition talent of Ehlers/Laine.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't see any logical evidence that Roslovic makes the 2nd line better, with Ehlers-Laine. That's pure speculation. Roslovic is not defensively more sound that Little. This could be a worse line, without a vet to protect the d-zone as Little did last night. Roslovic still needs to work on coverage.

I think when analyzing Ehlers-Laine it should not just be the centre who gets consideration. The d pairing is important too.

Since Morrissey-Trouba play most with Lowry's line, and Buff with Scheifele's line, that has left LLE with Morrow-Myers. That pairing has not moved the puck particularly well, which has caused some long defensive shifts.

Last year's Ehlers-Stastny-Laine line played a lot with Enstrom-Buff. And Morrow. Buff brought an additional element of possession.

I would like to see Niku get a chance with Myers, at some point. Niku moves the puck very well, which I think would play into the transition talent of Ehlers/Laine.
No one is saying Roslo is for sure going to make Ehlers and Laine better. We are saying try it. Give it a chance, if it doesn't work fine, if it does work super.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I share your concern about defense, but after Nashville tonight we go on a 6 game home stand, and Maurice can hard match with the best of them. If you keep hard matching C-S-W and C-L-T against the other teams top 2 lines you should be able to find E-R-L some favorable offensive situations to get their groove going. IMO the problem with Little is he has lost a step and as a good vet he defaults to defense. While this helps keep their own end tidy he is a step behind Laine and Ehlers off the rush and no one one the line is good at retrieving pucks so there is no sustained offense. Rosie at least has the speed and offensive chops to help get that line scoring. And he will pick up the defensive.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
How is it even possible that while playing in the same line Laine ends up 64% corsi and Little ends up with 47% Ehlers 54%).

That shouldn't even be possible.

Everyone can think who drives that line.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
How do You even define "drives the line"? Someone said it means that where ever "the driver" goes the other follow (including center, if he is not the one who "drives a line"). Reading this board Connor , Scheifele and Wheeler are all "line drivers" so that just doesn't add up? :huh:

Is "driving the line" just one's opinion based on one's eye test?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
How is it even possible that while playing in the same line Laine ends up 64% corsi and Little ends up with 47% Ehlers 54%).

That shouldn't even be possible.

Everyone can think who drives that line.

Where'd you get these numbers from? Natural Stat Trick shows 64%, 56%, 57% 5v5 for Laine, Little, and Ehlers. If you're using all situations, that includes Little's PK time as well: neither Ehlers or Laine have logged PK yet this year.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Where'd you get these numbers from? Natural Stat Trick shows 64%, 56%, 57% 5v5 for Laine, Little, and Ehlers. If you're using all situations, that includes Little's PK time as well: neither Ehlers or Laine have logged PK yet this year.
Natural stats trick. Was just talking about last game, not whole season

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
How do You even define "drives the line"? Someone said it means that where ever "the driver" goes the other follow (including center, if he is not the one who "drives a line"). Reading this board Connor , Scheifele and Wheeler are all "line drivers" so that just doesn't add up? :huh:

Is "driving the line" just one's opinion based on one's eye test?

It is someone who gets possession in to enemy territory.

Looking by stats,last 2 season, Connor is a very bad possession player and Wheeler ain't much better.

Pomo and HFjets consider them as line drivers but stats say a way different story.

Possession wise they are 4th line quality.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Natural stats trick. Was just talking about last game, not whole season

3 games is a small sample size. 1 game is a blip. Laine spent some TOI with Copp, Connor and Scheifele, and played a 3-4m more time at 5v5 than Ehlers and Little. Little also logged PK time, with a 0% CF. That stuff factors into the differing CF% for that game for the three players.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
It is someone who gets possession in to enemy territory.

Looking by stats,last 2 season, Connor is a very bad possession player and Wheeler ain't much better.

Pomo and HFjets consider them as line drivers but stats say a way different story.

Possession wise they are 4th line quality.
Wheeler and Connor are quick strike player, opportunistic.
But they are very good and one of the best at that. But yeah, you have a point

What i dont get is.
Some say they score the points.
Well they should because they get all the minutes and they get into the flow all period of the games.
If they dont score Jets are screwed because they are the players leaned on base on minutes.
Base on Laine minutes. He is giving the Jets much more value .
Ehlers was but right now he is in a funk. Though his minuted are much worst thsn Laine.

Right now im just gonna cheer for Jets and Laine and Schiefele and the rest of the boys!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad