Line Combos: Forward line-up: what would you do?

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Rosloviv-Lemieux
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

It's that simple.....for a good coach.....which we don't have.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ya, but he lives in North carolina!!!
He can live in cheery, snowy Winterpeg for 7 months of the year. Doesn't have to worry about sunburns or hurricanes. Easy decision if you ask me.........

:laugh: I'm not asking you. I'm asking him. I suspect he negotiated that clause in his contract for a reason.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If Lowry's line is always the jets best line team is toast.

Pound for pound

Best combo

Schiefele Laine
Best trio ESL

One of the poster made this line

ESL
Connor Roslovic Wheeler
Perrault Little lemiuex
Copp Lowry Tanev

The team is stack.

The coach cant keep it going..

"Everybody can't drive a ferrari. They can make it start and moving but they cant maximize its power." PHILJETS ;)

Reactions: bennylundholm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ok I'm looking at pairs of players that have played well together in the past.

Xxx Scheifele Laine
Xxx Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Xxx
Cool Lowry xxx

Compliments to fit in in no particular order:

Ehlers
Petan
Perrault
Lemieux
Tanev
Vesalinen

I would put Perrault with Conner and Roslovic to drive the offense.

Ehlers with Little and Wheeler to add speed and zone entry.

Id try Petan and his playnaking with two deadly right shots in Scheifele and Laine.

That to me adds some balance to the lines and imo incorporates complimentary skills.

Petan Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Perrault
Copp Lowry Tanev

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Xxx Scheifele Laine
Xxx Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Xxx
Cool Lowry xxx

Ehlers
Petan
Perrault
Lemieux
Tanev
Vesalinen

Id try Petan and his playnaking with two deadly right shots in Scheifele and Laine.

That to me adds some balance to the lines and imo incorporates complimentary skills.

Petan Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Perrault
Copp Lowry Tanev
Who would play D on the Petan Scheifele line? Also, since that line is the first line they would have to often take the toughest match-ups.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Completely agree with the bolded and wouldn't blame anyone for picking Connor over Ehlers.

I do however think most people would be making that choice out of recency bias and point watching. I personally think Ehlers is better defensively than Connor. I can't remember the last time I saw Connor steal a puck while back checking (but also realize I'm biased and might not have noticed). Connor plays a safer game with a higher floor while I think Ehlers has the higher ceiling imo. Ehlers still produced more last season while being on a so called dysfunctional line and according to some people "slumping". If we agree that they are more or less even in their offensive abilities than we still have to consider all the penalties Ehlers draws as well as being one of the best zone entry players in the league. I haven't noticed any unique qualities that make Connor stand out so far but that can still happen. He is obviously a better player on the boards but that's not really unique imo. I don't really buy the playoff argument. Connor had three goals more while playing two games more and averaging almost 2 min more per game. None of our young guys (Ehlers, Laine, Connor) were good during the PO's.

Unless Connor also takes a sweetheart deal I don't know why you would pick him over Connor so far. This year can obviously change that! I just wish some people would also consider opportunity given...

This wasn't meant to be a Connor vs Ehlers as they are completely different players that both have insane upside. Both fantastic players! Just wanted to mention a few points that are usually ignored when comparing them.

Connor is a better forechecker and he is better at scoring from tight spaces close to the net. Everything else, Ehlers is better. Connor is rounding out his game. He is making better use of his speed and carrying the puck more. Ehlers needs to start burying more of his chances. Hard to say who will be better long term.

People still criticizing Ehlers defensive play haven't been watching. He is rapidly turning into an outstanding defensive player. He uses his speed to get back to the D zone - but the big thing is the plays he makes when he gets there. He makes difficult defensive plays like he had been a Dman all his life. He backchecks very well.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Connor is a better forechecker and he is better at scoring from tight spaces close to the net. Everything else, Ehlers is better. Connor is rounding out his game. He is making better use of his speed and carrying the puck more. Ehlers needs to start burying more of his chances. Hard to say who will be better long term.

People still criticizing Ehlers defensive play haven't been watching. He is rapidly turning into an outstanding defensive player. He uses his speed to get back to the D zone - but the big thing is the plays he makes when he gets there. He makes difficult defensive plays like he had been a Dman all his life. He backchecks very well.
Recency bias indeed. Ehlers made two glaring give-aways last night while Connor may have also made mistakes but not as obvious. The one on the Powerplay which almost cost us but Ehlers got back and fixed the situation, but eek. Also that pass when Schiefle needed to get off the ice. Therefore, Connor is also looking like the more intelligent player.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You can really do all the shuffling you want, putting guys on different lines, but when it gets down to it -- it's all about fixing the second line and getting Ehlers, Little and Laine going--the other lines are fine. You don't want to really change things to much, as we're getting decent scoring. Just that "second line."

Reactions: Mbraunm

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Xxx Scheifele Laine
Xxx Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Xxx
Cool Lowry xxx

Ehlers
Petan
Perrault
Lemieux
Tanev
Vesalinen

Petan Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Conner Roslovic Perrault
Copp Lowry Tanev

Same as my thinking except I had Perreault and Petan swapped. I love the look of this line-up... a lot.

I would love to see what Connor - Roslo - Perreault could do though with 15 min of proper ice time.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who would play D on the Petan Scheifele line? Also, since that line is the first line they would have to often take the toughest match-ups.

Who plays defense on the Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler line? I quite frankly don't see much difference in defensive ability between, Laine, Conner, Ehlers and Wheeler and likely Petan based on his play in the AHL last year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Who plays defense on the Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler line? I quite frankly don't see much difference in defensive ability between, Laine, Conner, Ehlers and Wheeler and likely Petan based on his play in the AHL last year.
I've always thought Petan was pretty weak defensively. Maybe I didn't watch him closely enough. I think there is a pretty big difference in defensive among those guys. That said, I am pretty bias as I really thought that Petan should have been the guy put on waivers. Hopefully he proves me wrong and has a monster season.
The coach seems to trust Wheeler defensively hence why he gets pk time and none of those other guys you mentioned do, therefore, don't have the coach's trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetswin

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers has 4 goals in his last 40 games and you want to reward him by giving him first line minutes?
How about demoting him to 4th line or PB.

Ehlers only scoring 4 goals in last 40 games is terrible, for his talent level. That means he's scoring 1 goal every 10 games -- or like about 8 goals per season. He's a 30 goal scorer making $ 6 mil per year. Maurice needs to shake up the lines a bit, and get Ehlers going. It looks like he's putting out the effort, but not as much as last year.

If the Jets can't get good productivity out of that 2nd line, they won't go far in the playoffs, or may not even make the playoffs.

I think the answer will end up being having Roslovic move up to center the 2nd line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've always thought Petan was pretty weak defensively. Maybe I didn't watch him closely enough. I think there is a pretty big difference in defensive among those guys. That said, I am pretty bias as I really thought that Petan should have been the guy put on waivers. Hopefully he proves me wrong and has a monster season.
The coach seems to trust Wheeler defensively hence why he gets pk time and none of those other guys you mentioned do, therefore, don't have the coach's trust.

PK ability isn't necessarily based on defensive ability. The two require very different attributes, also Wheeler isn't exactly an amazing PKer anyhow, he scores negatively with regards to GAR there. It comes back to to my thoughts on Maurice being too reactionary and vet oriented. He seemingly only trusted Morrissey with PP time once Buff got injured but it should be clear as day Morrissey should have seen far more PP time over the past year. He ran one of the worst PK defenders the league has seen the past decade in Stuart out there continuously for instance so he isn't above being short sighted and valuing the wrong attributes. Guys like Roslovic and Connor excelled on the PK in the AHL and likely could perform quite well there in the NHL. Ehlers with his speed and smarts would also excel on the PK if used there. Just because he is slow to trust his kids in certain situations doesn't mean he is correct.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
PK ability isn't necessarily based on defensive ability. The two require very different attributes, also Wheeler isn't exactly an amazing PKer anyhow, he scores negatively with regards to GAR there. It comes back to to my thoughts on Maurice being too reactionary and vet oriented. He seemingly only trusted Morrissey with PP time once Buff got injured but it should be clear as day Morrissey should have seen far more PP time over the past year. He ran one of the worst PK defenders the league has seen the past decade in Stuart out there continuously for instance so he isn't above being short sighted and valuing the wrong attributes. Guys like Roslovic and Connor excelled on the PK in the AHL and likely could perform quite well there in the NHL. Ehlers with his speed and smarts would also excel on the PK if used there. Just because he is slow to trust his kids in certain situations doesn't mean he is correct.
You could be right. That does not explain however, how you see Petan as a top line guy with the 1st line getting more playing time. I would be pressed to find a team where the top 3 lines get equal playing time. You also have to factor in that the 4th line is going to get tons of minutes as they have been the most dominant line in terms of how much time the play is in the other time's end. Also, defensively I feel so relaxed when they are out there because I trust that nothing bad will happen. I do not feel that way when any of the other lines are on the ice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You could be right. That does not explain however, how you see Petan as a top line guy with the 1st line getting more playing time. I would be pressed to find a team where the top 3 lines get equal playing time. You also have to factor in that the 4th line is going to get tons of minutes as they have been the most dominant line in terms of how much time the play is in the other time's end. Also, defensively I feel so relaxed when they are out there because I trust that nothing bad will happen. I do not feel that way when any of the other lines are on the ice.

I don't see Petan as a top line guy, I see him as a complimentary piece to two top line players in Scheifele and Laine. Most coaches do not run a top line that consists of three legit first line players, they instead look for pairs and rotate complimentary pieces to fill out the slot.

Crosby and Getzel play with Rust, Malkin and Kessel play with Hagelin for instance
Mathews plays with Marleau and Hyman/Ennis
McDavid plays with RNH and Rattie
Ovie and Kunitzov play with Wilson

Bolded are players who aren't top 6 talents.

Maurice operates differently then most coaches with regards to overloading his top line when he really doesn't need to and might be best served spreading his elite talent throughout the the line up like many other successful teams do. You know the saying "sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen" and in the case of hockey there is only one puck and play drivers want the puck.

The goal would be to to have two top line players on each of the first three lines:

Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Wheeler
Conner - Perrault*

Perrault being a quasi first line player.

As for teams with three lines running fairly equally see Tampa and Toronto this season, Pittsburgh three seasons ago when they won the cup.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't see Petan as a top line guy, I see him as a complimentary piece to two top line players in Scheifele and Laine. Most coaches do not run a top line that consists of three legit first line players, they instead look for pairs and rotate complimentary pieces to fill out the slot.

Crosby and Getzel play with Rust, Malkin and Kessel play with Hagelin for instance
Mathews plays with Marleau and Hyman/Ennis
McDavid plays with RNH and Rattie
Ovie and Kunitzov play with Wilson

Bolded are players who aren't top 6 talents.

Maurice operates differently then most coaches with regards to overloading his top line when he really doesn't need to and might be best served spreading his elite talent throughout the the line up like many other successful teams do. You know the saying "sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen" and in the case of hockey there is only one puck and play drivers want the puck.

The goal would be to to have two top line players on each of the first three lines:

Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Wheeler
Conner - Perrault*

Perrault being a quasi first line player.

As for teams with three lines running fairly equally see Tampa and Toronto this season, Pittsburgh three seasons ago when they won the cup.
Interesting. Really didn't know that stuff. Also imo Roslo looked more like a quasi first liner than Perrault. But doesn't really matter you can just fill in Little and Roslo on either of those bottom lines.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Connor:
1) Better over all puck possession player- call if forechecking if you will but it means there are a number of things he does well as a forechecker - strips pucks, better possession, better puck pursuit, and less turnovers.
2) He's also a better shooter from traffic areas or in close
3) Super slick Puck handler IMO - in a nifty sort of way. Ehlers will beat you with speed or his edges but I give the stick skills to KC
4) Hockey IQ - Ehlers is no dummy but KC is above average smarts.

Ehlers:
1) is a faster skater,
2) better D
3) and maybe a better over all shooter if he can hit the net.

I don't think there is any way you can consider Ehlers the better player - and I give upside to KC as well.

Ehler fans will disagree - ;)

I'm also a big Connor fan in case you haven't noticed:D

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Now that our captain got his huge contract and doesn’t need the huge stats, he needs to go to the coach and suggest/ volunteer to move down to play with Little. Cause PoMo ain’t ever gonna do it without his permission from what I see.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Now that our captain got his huge contract and doesn’t need the huge stats, he needs to go to the coach and suggest/ volunteer to move down to play with Little. Cause PoMo ain’t ever gonna do it without his permission from what I see.
Well there's your problem!
If PoMo can't shake up the team without the players permission ... he's not a very good coach.
It's only 6 games so I'm not too worried.

Reactions: GNP

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
If Lowry's line is always the jets best line team is toast.

Pound for pound

Best combo

Schiefele Laine
Best trio ESL

One of the poster made this line

ESL
Connor Roslovic Wheeler
Perrault Little lemiuex
Copp Lowry Tanev

The team is stack.

The coach cant keep it going..

"Everybody can't drive a ferrari. They can make it start and moving but they cant maximize its power." PHILJETS ;)
I like these lines the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad