Proposal: Forsberg to MTL

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Pacioretty and Stone are comparable players in terms of offensive stats. If Forsberg can’t get that kind of return you keep him. Both those guys got high end youngsters, picks +. Firs berg also has an additional 2/3 of a season if he’s traded now. A late 1st and a decent prospect isn’t enough for Forsberg. Zucker, a far inferior player got a 1st, roster player (Chucky) and a prospect (Calen Addison).

Both Pacioretty and Stone came with a contract extension. Forsberg isn’t eligible to sign one until this summer. Even if he did come with an extension, he’s not fetching Kotnaniemi or Suzuki.

Also, none of prospects traded above were established in the NHL. They were all 1-2 years away.

MaxPac got Suzuki he’s being called an elite player in this forum.

Suzuki was seen as a very good prospect when the trade was made. He was seen as a lesser prospect than Brannstrom and Glass at the time and was supposed to be a winger. Turns out he found another gear ~8 months after the trade and blew past Glass and Brannstrom within a year.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Forsberg and Haula to Montreal

If Forsberg came extended then maybe it could be something like this

Kaiden Guhle
1st
2nd
Tatar

Is that close or way off? Not really sure how to measure Forsberg’s value considering he only has 1 year left after this one.

really not sure what the trade would look like but throwing some ideas out there
:laugh: :nod: So basically a 2020 prospect a 1st and 2nd round pick and pending UFA in Tatar for a 48 to 64 point per season winger in Filip Forsberg. This trade is garbage and Forsberg is worth for more then this David Poile would be fired if he made that trade.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
everybody you listed has term. Pretty sure both Pacioretty and Stone were sign and trades. Forsberg is a rental +1 having only 1 year left
2 of the players I listed where pending UFA's - I understand they had negotiated prior to the trade, but they weren't extended at the time. So term is a bad thing in some posts and a good thing in others, which is it? Forsberg being signed through next season at $6 is a good thing. If a team is more worried about the expansion draft than winning then don't make the trade. If Nashville is trading their 26 year old best player there better be some high end assets coming back, and pick 24-31 in this draft is not that, Guhle is not that and Drouin is definitely not that. I never said it had to be Suzuki or KK but if any and every top asset is off the table then there are other players to target, not Forsberg.

Reactions: Armourboy

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The reality of today's NHL is that pretty much any deal you're making with significant salary (ie Forsberg @ $6M)...there's going to have to be a salary component going the other way. That's the only way pieces move in this flat cap gridlock world.

That's all Drouin is, or has to be in that sort of deal. He's a slightly better (and younger) version of what Tatar was supposed to be in the Pacioretty deal. A piece who carries a salary/cap hit that offsets Forsberg's, and can backfill on the Preds roster as a 20G-50pt sort of Top-6 piece.

Nashville can then either decide to keep him if it works out...or let him pump up his value in the minutes Forsberg leaves vacant, and find a deal to move him somewhere else and keep shuffling things around. There are always sucker GMs in the league hung up on draft pedigree, and really...i think you're underselling Drouin in the first place. He's a plenty useful Top-6 winger in the right situation, on a mediocre deal. He's just not the superstar people thought he'd become at the draft. But he's more than good enough to be a contributing filler piece with some potential follow-on value in a deal like this.

It's really either that, or taking on some sort of 31/32 year old $3.4M x 3 years bottom-6 spare part like Byron. At least Drouin is a contributing Top-6 Forward with some sort of potential value around the league.

I mean, in that sense...it's a personal/organizational preference thing again. Just as how you view Caufield determines whether or not there's a deal to be made there on the prospect centerpiece side...i guess how you view Drouin might influence whether you think there's a workable deal in it or not. But unless you really really personally hate Drouin and don't want him anywhere near your team for some reason...i don't think you're going to find many better "salary offset" type pieces on offer than a 25 year old Top-6 Winger on a ~$1M/10pts sort of UFA market-ish deal. :dunno:

Like...pretty much anyone who would actually be in on a high cost "win now" deal for someone like Forsberg, is going to be relatively capped out. So anywhere you deal him, is going to expect Nashville to take back some sort of junk to make the salary work. At least someone like Drouin is potentially useful junk.
I'm well aware of the "reality" of cap management and the importance of moving cap around in deals, it's the amount and term that make no sense for Nashville if they decide to rebuild and trade away their best player (forward). Drouin at $5.5 x 3 years is not a high value piece. There is a flat cap for the next season or 2 and then a few years of recovery after that. Why would a team trade Forsberg to take on an additional year at basically the same cap hit for a far inferior player. If the Habs wanted to actually trade for Forsberg I could see Tatar and his 1 year contract included in any deal. Being an upcoming UFA gives Nashville a place holder they can then trade at the deadline for additional assets. Drouin with 3 years at $5.5 and todays economics is not a valuable asset. I could see a Galchenyuk type end to Drouin's contract where he almost zero value by the final year of his deal. Byron makes no sense in a rebuild either due to his 3 years on his contract, his age and his dip in play. At this point Byron is a depreciating asset.
If you see the value in Drouin, maybe the best coarse of action is to trade him and use those assets + to acquire Forsberg. If $1million/10pts poor defensive players that have proven to only be effective on the PP is useful, then trade him to one of the long list of teams looking for that type of player with that type of contract and then make a move for Forsberg.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Forsberg starts with Suzuki or Kotkaniemi.

Arvidsson and Ekholm can get assets like Guhle or a 1st +.

Haula can be had for a random pick/prospect/throw in.

I disagree...

Any team trading for Forsberg is doing so for the purpose of improving their lineup, so it doesn't make sense to acquire him if it means losing a key contributor from the current roster

And when you factor in that Forsberg will be a UFA next summer, I have my doubts that a team would be willing to give up a young player like Kotkaniemi or Suzuki

So if Montreal makes a deal for Forsberg, I could see Caufield being the main piece going to Nashville

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
That's fine. I know the Habs don't want to trade any of their legitimately good prospects for a borderline elite winger, but they will eventually realize that you can't use Mete and Guhle as the key components of a trade like this.

You can only have so many untouchable players and prospects before Nashville just laughs at you.

No Suzuki
No Kotkaniemi
No Romanov
No Drouin
No Anderson
No Tofoli
No Caufield

No anybody under 30, with a pulse in our organization.. lol

Forsberg is 26 year old stud, on a reasonable deal, that could be retained, for another year and and a half. Nashville has no interest in being bad forever, after giving him away.
Montreal won't be trading for Forsberg.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Forsberg and Haula to Montreal

If Forsberg came extended then maybe it could be something like this

Kaiden Guhle
1st
2nd
Tatar

Is that close or way off? Not really sure how to measure Forsberg’s value considering he only has 1 year left after this one.

really not sure what the trade would look like but throwing some ideas out there

Tatar is a pending UFA so this makes no sense to Nashville. Why rebuild if you trade away your best forward for a pending UFA + futures?
they would need a deal in place (or a 3 way trade a-la turris-duchene a couple years ago)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
What would you guys realistically expect for Forsberg? a 1st and a recent 1st rounder is more than fair.

thats the going rate for a rental, which forsberg isnt

this needs to be 3 pieces

Two good prospects and a 1st are probably fair.

Caufield+Guhle+1st for Forsberg would benefit both sides.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
:laugh: :nod: So basically a 2020 prospect a 1st and 2nd round pick and pending UFA in Tatar for a 48 to 64 point per season winger in Filip Forsberg. This trade is garbage and Forsberg is worth for more then this David Poile would be fired if he made that trade.

So, you mean a first, second, a recent mid first round pick guy with his stock on the rise and someone who outproduced Forsberg by 13 points last year for... Forsberg!?

Yeah, no.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Wouldn't happen, but the cost would be:

Tatar, Guhle/Caufield and 1st

Similar to Pacioretty return, but a 1st as he is younger

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So, you mean a first, second, a recent mid first round pick guy with his stock on the rise and someone who outproduced Forsberg by 13 points last year for... Forsberg!?

Yeah, no.
i haven't seen a single prospect on this board, whose stock after the draft isn't on the rise, if you ask the fane base of the team that drafted him. than - suddenly - out of the blue - they are becoming busts.
my rule of thump: prospects, frequently offered in trade proposals by their own fan base, are normal prospects.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
i haven't seen a single prospect on this board, whose stock after the draft isn't on the rise, if you ask the fane base of the team that drafted him. than - suddenly - out of the blue - they are becoming busts.
my rule of thump: prospects, frequently offered in trade proposals by their own fan base, are normal prospects.

Good. Who’s your team top prospects? I’ll take those normal prospects and high picks off your hands. I have a bunch of very useful NHLer in Byron, Armia & Lehkonen for them my friend.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Good. Who’s your team top prospects? I’ll take those normal prospects and high picks off your hands. I have a bunch of very useful NHLer in Byron, Armia & Lehkonen for them my friend.
you completely missed my point. maybe my english isn't good enough to explain it. mais mon français bien sûre ne suffit pas de tout.

i haven't spoken about any specific prospect. in general all fan bases claim, that their prospect improved their stock and in a re-draft we would have 20 top10 players and between 50 and 100 first rounders 6 month after every draft. but you are right the trade value of picks and prospects on elc are most probably at an all time high, because of the lack of cap space around the league.

byron will cost you a very nice prospect or a first round pick to move this season. price will obviously go down with lesser term in the future.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
then FF at 50 per cent else cap does not even work...

Habs are not ready to contend, why trade futures ?

You're 100% correct year after year they are really good the first month then they fall apart but this year they really had me fooled i though the great work Bergevin did would really pay off i think its time to re=evaluate when this team will be ready to contend i dont think we will with Price and Weber i think its time to try to get rid of them for some kind of good future players and hope it works out in 3 to 5 years and also a new coach is needed badly.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You're 100% correct year after year they are really good the first month then they fall apart but this year they really had me fooled i though the great work Bergevin did would really pay off i think its time to re=evaluate when this team will be ready to contend i dont think we will with Price and Weber i think its time to try to get rid of them for some kind of good future players and hope it works out in 3 to 5 years and also a new coach is needed badly.
while i fully understand your point, i don't see montreal getting futures back for price. the appetite around the league for his contract is close to zero. add in his mediocre performances the last three seasons and you will be forced to take back similar contracts of underperforming or declining star players. if lucky you can shed one or two contract years on part of the cap hit.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
you completely missed my point. maybe my english isn't good enough to explain it. mais mon français bien sûre ne suffit pas de tout.

i haven't spoken about any specific prospect. in general all fan bases claim, that their prospect improved their stock and in a re-draft we would have 20 top10 players and between 50 and 100 first rounders 6 month after every draft. but you are right the trade value of picks and prospects on elc are most probably at an all time high, because of the lack of cap space around the league.

byron will cost you a very nice prospect or a first round pick to move this season. price will obviously go down with lesser term in the future.

Yeah but here we are talking about a recent mid first-round pick who was also a team canada WJC regular at 18 years old and who have done nothing but impress so far. It is far from being a lock as an NHL top 4 but he’s at least trending there and the odds are good he gets there.

If we were talking about a Cam Hillis or a similar prospect, I would agree.

Anyway, Forsberg is a 45-60 pts winger who’s a year and a half away from FA. He would surely get a good package, but no team in their right mind are ever going to pay the equivalent of 2x first, 2x 2nd and a guy who outproduced him last year.

You could make a case for a first round pick, two ~B prospects and a cap dumb but I doubt they get anything more than that from anyone in the league.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Detroit offer Mantha, Zadina, Veleno and 2x 2nd for Forsberg. I doubt a 35-40 points 5.7M player, a bttom 6 winger, Veleno and two high 2nd is enough for a Forsberg quality player but at least its a decent starting offer.

Forsberg with Larkin would be lethal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad