Proposal: Forsberg to MTL

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Jesperi Suzuki, Feb 21, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Baksfamous112 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Both Pacioretty and Stone came with a contract extension. Forsberg isn’t eligible to sign one until this summer. Even if he did come with an extension, he’s not fetching Kotnaniemi or Suzuki.

Also, none of prospects traded above were established in the NHL. They were all 1-2 years away.

Suzuki was seen as a very good prospect when the trade was made. He was seen as a lesser prospect than Brannstrom and Glass at the time and was supposed to be a winger. Turns out he found another gear ~8 months after the trade and blew past Glass and Brannstrom within a year.

Mrb1p likes this.
  2. PredsHabs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Pastor
    Any interest in a Ekholm and Forsberg package?

A Loyal Hot Dog likes this.
  3. Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hospital worker
    :laugh: :nod: So basically a 2020 prospect a 1st and 2nd round pick and pending UFA in Tatar for a 48 to 64 point per season winger in Filip Forsberg. This trade is garbage and Forsberg is worth for more then this David Poile would be fired if he made that trade.

4. Jesperi Suzuki Suzy baby

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nice analysis pal. And by nice I mean horrible.

Deam78 likes this.
  5. Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hospital worker
    :laugh: :laugh: Yeah like Guhle has proven anything And a Mid_teen to early twenties 1st round pick and a pending UFA is a fair offer for a 48 to 64 point per season Winger in Forsberg yeah. Once again Hab fans overvalue their own while undervaluing other teams players.

6. Boondock Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    2 of the players I listed where pending UFA's - I understand they had negotiated prior to the trade, but they weren't extended at the time. So term is a bad thing in some posts and a good thing in others, which is it? Forsberg being signed through next season at $6 is a good thing. If a team is more worried about the expansion draft than winning then don't make the trade. If Nashville is trading their 26 year old best player there better be some high end assets coming back, and pick 24-31 in this draft is not that, Guhle is not that and Drouin is definitely not that. I never said it had to be Suzuki or KK but if any and every top asset is off the table then there are other players to target, not Forsberg.

Armourboy likes this.
  7. Boondock Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm well aware of the "reality" of cap management and the importance of moving cap around in deals, it's the amount and term that make no sense for Nashville if they decide to rebuild and trade away their best player (forward). Drouin at $5.5 x 3 years is not a high value piece. There is a flat cap for the next season or 2 and then a few years of recovery after that. Why would a team trade Forsberg to take on an additional year at basically the same cap hit for a far inferior player. If the Habs wanted to actually trade for Forsberg I could see Tatar and his 1 year contract included in any deal. Being an upcoming UFA gives Nashville a place holder they can then trade at the deadline for additional assets. Drouin with 3 years at $5.5 and todays economics is not a valuable asset. I could see a Galchenyuk type end to Drouin's contract where he almost zero value by the final year of his deal. Byron makes no sense in a rebuild either due to his 3 years on his contract, his age and his dip in play. At this point Byron is a depreciating asset.
    If you see the value in Drouin, maybe the best coarse of action is to trade him and use those assets + to acquire Forsberg. If $1million/10pts poor defensive players that have proven to only be effective on the PP is useful, then trade him to one of the long list of teams looking for that type of player with that type of contract and then make a move for Forsberg.

8. Perennial Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I disagree...

Any team trading for Forsberg is doing so for the purpose of improving their lineup, so it doesn't make sense to acquire him if it means losing a key contributor from the current roster

And when you factor in that Forsberg will be a UFA next summer, I have my doubts that a team would be willing to give up a young player like Kotkaniemi or Suzuki

So if Montreal makes a deal for Forsberg, I could see Caufield being the main piece going to Nashville

9. Habs10025 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Montreal won't be trading for Forsberg.

aresknights and Baksfamous112 like this.
  10. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Tatar is a pending UFA so this makes no sense to Nashville. Why rebuild if you trade away your best forward for a pending UFA + futures?
    they would need a deal in place (or a 3 way trade a-la turris-duchene a couple years ago)

11. Halla Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    thats the going rate for a rental, which forsberg isnt

this needs to be 3 pieces

Two good prospects and a 1st are probably fair.

Caufield+Guhle+1st for Forsberg would benefit both sides.

12. HughesNation Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 105,500
    Without insulting you, let me seriously doubt about that one.

Signed an Habs fan.

Baksfamous112 likes this.
  13. Baksfamous112 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    So, you mean a first, second, a recent mid first round pick guy with his stock on the rise and someone who outproduced Forsberg by 13 points last year for... Forsberg!?

Yeah, no.

14. CatchyTune JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thats way too much.

a 1st and Guhle is probably fair. but not Caufield on top.

1st+Guhle or Caufield+2nd

RicoxSuave and Jesperi Suzuki like this.
  15. A Loyal Dog Woof!

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    Housedog
    Yes please.

16. BigDaddyLurch #ProtekDaTie

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Goon
    Name your price that doesn't involve Suzuki and we'll have a haggle over it...:thumbu:

17. Notabaguette Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Wouldn't happen, but the cost would be:

Tatar, Guhle/Caufield and 1st

Similar to Pacioretty return, but a 1st as he is younger

18. TBF1972 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    i haven't seen a single prospect on this board, whose stock after the draft isn't on the rise, if you ask the fane base of the team that drafted him. than - suddenly - out of the blue - they are becoming busts.
    my rule of thump: prospects, frequently offered in trade proposals by their own fan base, are normal prospects.

19. Baksfamous112 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Good. Who’s your team top prospects? I’ll take those normal prospects and high picks off your hands. I have a bunch of very useful NHLer in Byron, Armia & Lehkonen for them my friend.

20. TBF1972 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    you completely missed my point. maybe my english isn't good enough to explain it. mais mon français bien sûre ne suffit pas de tout.

i haven't spoken about any specific prospect. in general all fan bases claim, that their prospect improved their stock and in a re-draft we would have 20 top10 players and between 50 and 100 first rounders 6 month after every draft. but you are right the trade value of picks and prospects on elc are most probably at an all time high, because of the lack of cap space around the league.

byron will cost you a very nice prospect or a first round pick to move this season. price will obviously go down with lesser term in the future.

21. jellybeans Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You're 100% correct year after year they are really good the first month then they fall apart but this year they really had me fooled i though the great work Bergevin did would really pay off i think its time to re=evaluate when this team will be ready to contend i dont think we will with Price and Weber i think its time to try to get rid of them for some kind of good future players and hope it works out in 3 to 5 years and also a new coach is needed badly.

22. TBF1972 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    while i fully understand your point, i don't see montreal getting futures back for price. the appetite around the league for his contract is close to zero. add in his mediocre performances the last three seasons and you will be forced to take back similar contracts of underperforming or declining star players. if lucky you can shed one or two contract years on part of the cap hit.

23. Baksfamous112 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah but here we are talking about a recent mid first-round pick who was also a team canada WJC regular at 18 years old and who have done nothing but impress so far. It is far from being a lock as an NHL top 4 but he’s at least trending there and the odds are good he gets there.

If we were talking about a Cam Hillis or a similar prospect, I would agree.

Anyway, Forsberg is a 45-60 pts winger who’s a year and a half away from FA. He would surely get a good package, but no team in their right mind are ever going to pay the equivalent of 2x first, 2x 2nd and a guy who outproduced him last year.

You could make a case for a first round pick, two ~B prospects and a cap dumb but I doubt they get anything more than that from anyone in the league.

24. RicoxSuave Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    isnt Tatar a 60 point winger and Guhle will be great

25. Baksfamous112 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Detroit offer Mantha, Zadina, Veleno and 2x 2nd for Forsberg. I doubt a 35-40 points 5.7M player, a bttom 6 winger, Veleno and two high 2nd is enough for a Forsberg quality player but at least its a decent starting offer.

Forsberg with Larkin would be lethal.