Former Ducks, 2019-20

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah the same. Kinda funny how i had a similar hairstyle as Getzlaf before he went bald & i went bald too and now just shave it off like he does.
There is like no Gen X players left in the league except for Jumbo & Marleau i think (1979 & earlier births)

Chara too. He will be the next Chelios. They’re few and far between now.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah I guess Sid the kid isn’t a kid anymore. Which means I’m not either haha. I hate growing up.
sid the 32 year old man

Yeah the same. Kinda funny how i had a similar hairstyle as Getzlaf before he went bald & i went bald too and now just shave it off like he does.
There is like no Gen X players left in the league except for Jumbo & Marleau i think (1979 & earlier births)
yeah with the retirements of cullen, kunitz, and luongo its just thornton, marleau, and chara left who were born in the 70s

i wonder how many guys who made their debuts prior to the 05 lockout are still playing. can't be many

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lovejoy hangs them up. Was a surprisingly competent Dman for us for a period. He had one hell of a career given nobody had any expectations for him as a prospect.

Still blows my mind that this trade worked out for the Pens.

Sucks that Despres f***ed himself and got f***ed by the Avs. He would have been huge for you guys.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
During break today I was looking at some past Anaheim drafts and was 2006 quite the terrible one.

Does anyone have any recollection as to why Marc Mitera and Bryce Swan did not pan out? I've seen some articles citing injury problems with Mitera, but Swan seemed like a complete miss by the scouting staff..

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
During break today I was looking at some past Anaheim drafts and was 2006 quite the terrible one.

Does anyone have any recollection as to why Marc Mitera and Bryce Swan did not pan out? I've seen some articles citing injury problems with Mitera, but Swan seemed like a complete miss by the scouting staff..
Mitera blew his knee out and swan got into substance abuse.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

and 2007 was even worse. Logan MacBust & Eric Tancrapy. 2006 did produce Beleskey.
Outside of Bobby Ryan 2005 was pretty bad too

I remember playing NHL 08 on PC & the Ducks farm system was crap except for Bobby Ryan.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Brian Burke.

When he thankfully was in Toronto he traded up with us to select Tyler Biggs because Burke really really wanted him and didnt want him to be picked by anyone else. Biggs has produced at best as a 4th liner in the AHL and now for years is playing ECHL hockey. With traded picks we took Rakell and Gibson

That tells you all you need to know about Burke drafting. And look who was in charge for us from 2005 to end of 2018.
There was a significant increase in drafting quality starting 2009 when was the first draft under Murray. Even if we busted on the first pick with Holland, the drafts started to become real solid since then.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Brian Burke.

When he thankfully was in Toronto he traded up with us to select Tyler Biggs because Burke really really wanted him and didnt want him to be picked by anyone else. Biggs has produced at best as a 4th liner in the AHL and now for years is playing ECHL hockey. With traded picks we took Rakell and Gibson

That tells you all you need to know about Burke drafting. And look who was in charge for us from 2005 to end of 2018.
There was a significant increase in drafting quality starting 2009 when was the first draft under Murray. Even if we busted on the first pick with Holland, the drafts started to become real solid since then.

Burke definitely was not good in terms of his quality of draft picks but I think our draft record picking up has more to do with Madden than Murray. Madden was hired just before the start of the 08-09 season.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Burke definitely was not good in terms of his quality of draft picks but I think our draft record picking up has more to do with Madden than Murray. Madden was hired just before the start of the 08-09 season.
Oh, you are right. I always forgot he was hired around then and wasn`t with us previously.
I wonder if he was Murrays find.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Oh, you are right. I always forgot he was hired around then and wasn`t with us previously.
I wonder if he was Murrays find.

Not sure if it was Burke or Murray that found him, Burke was still the GM at the time but it could well have been Murray that brought him in. Even if Burke did bring him in though I doubt our drafting would have been as successful had he stayed, he always seemed to be a guy that would draft whoever he wanted as opposed to who his head scout wanted. Murray seems to place more trust in his guys to make the picks.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
What hurts, I remember the Ducks scouts preferring Perron but Burke went with MacMillan. We also hit a homerun taking Tangradi one spot before Subban.

What is cool with GMBM, he trusts scouts and Madden and let them run the show. Burke was completely the opposite in the first rounds.

Reactions: Kalv

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Mitera wasn't exactly a bust. Like mentioned earlier he blew his knee out, hence why he only played a total of 13 games in 08/09. And the following year, the Ducks didn't have an AHL affiliate. Thus he, along with most of our prospects, ended up spending most of the season in the ECHL with our affiliate in Bakersfield. He had a lot of bad luck.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
A thread somewhere on the main board said he was one of the 'red flag' draft prospects in 2007 and that Tyler Biggs in 2011 was too, both drafted by teams with Burke as GM.
MacMillan sent home following DUI arrest – Orange County Register

Yep. He was an addict & supposely red flag issues surrounding him too.
If you're talking about the do not draft list thread on the prospects forum, then that is 100% speculation as McMillan's name was raised by some random poster as the guy sharing his experiences as an NHL scout in that thread doesn't share names of any players who had issues.

Not saying that he didn't have issues, but it's not really a slam dunk either given the original post was super vague and could have described numerous former NHL prospects.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If you're talking about the do not draft list thread on the prospects forum, then that is 100% speculation as McMillan's name was raised by some random poster as the guy sharing his experiences as an NHL scout in that thread doesn't share names of any players who had issues.

Not saying that he didn't have issues, but it's not really a slam dunk either given the original post was super vague and could have described numerous former NHL prospects.
But it leaves the impression Burke had no issue with red flag prospects that goes along with him wanting to draft his guys & not listen to the scouting director.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Mitera wasn't exactly a bust. Like mentioned earlier he blew his knee out, hence why he only played a total of 13 games in 08/09. And the following year, the Ducks didn't have an AHL affiliate. Thus he, along with most of our prospects, ended up spending most of the season in the ECHL with our affiliate in Bakersfield. He had a lot of bad luck.

Yeah he was tracking pretty well pre injury. But blowing out his knee really impacted his skating ability. I forgot about that year of lost development for our guys too, that can’t have helped our 2005 to 2007 draft record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad