Former Ducks, 2019-20

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yes the socal defensemen retirement club

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Losing Theodore stings obviously but if he were still here it's not like we suddenly become a playoff team. In fact, the couple of wins he might add would mean we would never have gotten Zegras or the #6 pick.

(This is how I rationalize this trade so I don't kill myself.)

Reactions: Kalv

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If I had a player scoring at the rate he is in the playoffs, I wouldn't want him hitting anyone. He's playing like an elite scoring forward, from the back end. Fowler the same, Ducks have other D that can hit and enforce.

What a goal by Theodore!

He's also playing defense like an elite scoring forward. Great goal, and then 24 seconds later he's late in sliding and gives one up.

Don't get me wrong - I would love for Theodore to be on the ducks. It was a bad trade/decision. He brings a lot to Vegas that the ducks could really use. However, he's still not a great defensive d-man. And I question whether he would have developed on the Ducks pre-Eakins. The prior Duck coaching staffs simply didn't value and cultivate what Theodore currently brings.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Look at Vegas, the only Dman who can QB a PP for them is Theodore, they are being smart in how they use him. Right now he doesn't need to improve defensively while they have no other options who are anywhere close to him offensively. The other Vegas Dmen are doing the heavy lifting defensively while Theodore is sheltered. The only benifet a team like Vegas would get out of having Fowler over Theodore is it would reduce the defensive workload of their other Dmen but it would also mean they as a team would have less offense from the blueline and put more pressure on the forwards to score.

As long as Vegas other Dmen continue to do their job well, they are succeeding with Theodore.
They shutout Vancouver twice in this round of the playoffs.

A defenseman that is ass defensively doesn't need to improve their defense? Stopped reading there. The NHL isn't a video game FFS. I know +/- isn't a fantastic stat, but for a team that has been as dominant as Vegas has been during the past three years Theo is a whopping +13 in that time.

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why would we even need Theo, what we really need is *checks notes*... defensemen scoring. Oh ffs

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
A defenseman that is ass defensively doesn't need to improve their defense? Stopped reading there. The NHL isn't a video game FFS. I know +/- isn't a fantastic stat, but for a team that has been as dominant as Vegas has been during the past three years Theo is a whopping +13 in that time.
Let me know when Erik Karlsson and PK Subban learn to improve their defense. Theo is not that kind of player who's gonna be a 2way Dman.
Its not a video game like you said, Theo isn't gonna suddenly turn into a 2way Dman because of a video game training camp aimed at improving defensive play.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Let me know when Erik Karlsson and PK Subban learn to improve their defense. Theo is not that kind of player who's gonna be a 2way Dman.
Its not a video game like you said, Theo isn't gonna suddenly turn into a 2way Dman because of a video game training camp aimed at improving defensive play.

Firstly, Karlsson was (is) consistently putting up close to or higher than a point per game most seasons - something Theodore hasn’t come remotely close to. Secondly, at his best Karlsson was very good in his own end and relied upon to play in all situations. Same applies to Subban except at a lesser level than Karlsson.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I mean he’s just a really good dmen even when he’s not on a hot streak, and seems to just be getting better and better

You would think we gave away Bobby Orrs reincarnation based on the posts here. He’s a good player and it sucks we lost him for free but posters here are pumping him up as being far better than he actually is.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Firstly, Karlsson was (is) consistently putting up close to or higher than a point per game most seasons - something Theodore hasn’t come remotely close to. Secondly, at his best Karlsson was very good in his own end and relied upon to play in all situations. Same applies to Subban except at a lesser level than Karlsson.
He has never been higher than a point per game, the best was his point per game season with 82 points in 82 games. The next closest was his 78 in 81 games.
Karlsson has never been great defensively. He's not a guy a team would want defending a 1 goal lead late in the 3rd period.
Its cool how you overrate Karlsson's defense but underrate Theodore. You almost sound like you want Theodore to fail hard so you can feel like Murray made the smart move.
The success of Theodore also gives hope that Madden can find another like him and hopefully this time they keep the player and develop him better.
I'm curious if they take a D with #27.

Theodore will never be a top 10 Dman in the NHL but he's definitely way better at the OFD side of the game than any current Ducks.
We'd be lucky to have a Dman like him that can be given all the easy matchups and see him reliably score and have Lindholm/Manson do all the heavy lifting.
Theodore has his big weaknesses but a team like Vegas shows that such a player can be a big part to its success by giving the tough matchups to other players.

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You would think we gave away Bobby Orrs reincarnation based on the posts here. He’s a good player and it sucks we lost him for free but posters here are pumping him up as being far better than he actually is.
I feel like your underselling him a bit, And the way we lost him really makes it worse... didn’t receive any sort of assets or anything.

he’d be the 2nd best dmen on our team

Reactions: AngelDuck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I feel like your underselling him a bit, And the way we lost him really makes it worse... didn’t receive any sort of assets or anything.

he’d be the 2nd best dmen on our team

Agreed on the way we lost him sucking. It was a terrible move that wasn’t justified at the time and looks worse in hindsight.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Last seasons Karlsson is probably worse than Theodore now.

Last years Karlsson paced for 59 points, did most of the heavy lifting on a SJ defense that apart from him completely sucked, posted really good underlying numbers and played in all situations. Switch their situations and Theodore wouldn’t come close to replicating Karlssons numbers and would look far worse.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He has never been higher than a point per game, the best was his point per game season with 82 points in 82 games. The next closest was his 78 in 81 games.
Karlsson has never been great defensively. He's not a guy a team would want defending a 1 goal lead late in the 3rd period.
Its cool how you overrate Karlsson's defense but underrate Theodore. You almost sound like you want Theodore to fail hard so you can feel like Murray made the smart move.
The success of Theodore also gives hope that Madden can find another like him and hopefully this time they keep the player and develop him better.
I'm curious if they take a D with #27.

Theodore will never be a top 10 Dman in the NHL but he's definitely way better at the OFD side of the game than any current Ducks.
We'd be lucky to have a Dman like him that can be given all the easy matchups and see him reliably score and have Lindholm/Manson do all the heavy lifting.
Theodore has his big weaknesses but a team like Vegas shows that such a player can be a big part to its success by giving the tough matchups to other players.

Karlsson at his peak was great defensively. Through his prime he’s been very good most years. His defensive metrics are always sound and he has played in all situations for a while now.

And he was a guy that Ottawa wanted protecting leads when he dragged them to game 7 of the conference finals. Say what you will about his durability but when he’s healthy he’s one of the leagues best and can play in any situation. He’s not an elite shutdown player but he’s certainly out there protecting leads for 90% of the teams in league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In these playoffs Theo has been on ice for 10 GA and 20 GF which gives him the second best rating on the team and t-6th in whole playoffs. You don't have to play defense if you are pushing the pace in the offensive zone instead.
Yes, he is not the first choice to protect a one goal lead but I think his defensive ''problems'' are well overblown.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I hope when Murray does Q&A with season ticket holders they ask him stuff like did he think Theodore was capable of what he's doing now and why they thought Montour was the better prospect.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
the way we lost him really makes it worse... didn’t receive any sort of assets or anything.
;) we did according to Bob Murray & former head coach/current talent scout Randy Carlyle, we were able to keep franchise defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
It was not worth the risk of hurting Bieksa's feelings and making him retire early if they asked him to waive his no movement clause and we kept the better of the two Dmen prospects with Montour being better simply because he's a RHD.

Sarcasm aside, at expansion draft i did think Montour was the better prospect at the time and him being a RHD i thought he had more value to the Ducks and his slap shot was superior. I thought Theodore had a better wrist shot though.

Last edited:

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
;) we did according to Bob Murray & former head coach/current talent scout Randy Carlyle, we were able to keep franchise defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
It was not worth the risk of hurting Bieksa's feelings and making him retire early if they asked him to waive his no movement clause and we kept the better of the two Dmen prospects with Montour being better simply because he's a RHD.

Sarcasm aside, at expansion draft i did think Montour was the better prospect at the time and him being a RHD i thought he had more value to the Ducks and his slap shot was superior. I thought Theodore had a better wrist shot though.
Pathetic to try to pass any blame onto Carlyle what a joke

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad