Former Ducks, 2019-20

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no, theodore isn't a top 5 NHL d-man

but he's sure as hell better than anything this team is putting out there to play D on a nightly basis. keeping manson over him was just....lol

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The ducks need offense from their blue line far more than they need defense from it right now. We’ve been last in goals for the past couple seasons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

but he's sure as hell better than anything this team is putting out there to play D on a nightly basis. keeping manson over him was just....lol

I don't see how you can fault Murray for exposing Theodore. The team was coming off a WCF appearance and there was no thought process that they would move out the D that they did. They had Vatanen and Montour who were more proven offensively than Theo and they'd risk losing Silf if they protected four D.

They also exposed Manson. So they didn't protect him.

Reactions: Kalv

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't see how you can fault Murray for exposing Theodore. The team was coming off a WCF appearance and there was no thought process that they would move out the D that they did. They had Vatanen and Montour who were more proven offensively than Theo and they'd risk losing Silf if they protected four D.

They also exposed Manson. So they didn't protect him.
well they traded theodore to vegas to make sure they didn't take manson and would take stoner. so they pretty much parted ways with theodore to ensure manson remained a duck

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
In these playoffs Theo has been on ice for 10 GA and 20 GF which gives him the second best rating on the team and t-6th in whole playoffs. You don't have to play defense if you are pushing the pace in the offensive zone instead.
Yes, he is not the first choice to protect a one goal lead but I think his defensive ''problems'' are well overblown.

Hes rocking a sky high PDO and has played Chicago and Vancouver, of course he’s going to be on the ice for a lot more GF than GA.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ah. Didn't realize this. Thanks!

The bigger issue is Murray trading every defenseman like hot cakes in the system though right?
yeah, and they have yet to get an upgrade on guys like vatanen and montour

they never replaced vatanen's PP presence and guhle hasn't shown anything

Reactions: Deuce22

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You could argue that we traded Theo for Rico a 1st Gule and dumping. Stoner.

I don’t get that logic. You’re including assets from the Montour trade in his return?

I still think the best course of action was to buyout Bieksa and trade Vatanen pre ED. Talks with NJ on the Vatanen were rumored to go back to the offseason, even if it meant paying a bit more to get him pre expansion draft it would have been worth it.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
McPhee deserves a ton of credit. In all his deals, a rider was that the teams could no longer trade with anyone before expansion. He shrunk the trading market by himself. NHL should've stepped in and prevented that, but they didn't.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don’t get that logic. You’re including assets from the Montour trade in his return?

I still think the best course of action was to buyout Bieksa and trade Vatanen pre ED. Talks with NJ on the Vatanen were rumored to go back to the offseason, even if it meant paying a bit more to get him pre expansion draft it would have been worth it.
So here is the logic. Even if we bought out Bieksa we were still going to have to make a deal to protect either Vatanen or Manson, who ever you don't protect. We also KNOW that the trade market was a stranglehold and no one was dealing. Especially for players who would be protection worth. So I don't think the trade Vats before the draft. I also included Montour as I'm guessing that the deal with vegas had to include either Monty or Theo. We know that the Ducks discussed the Rico trade before the draft. So if we follow the logic that we were likely to trade our RS offensive D then it made sense to keep the guy most likely to replace him. I think the biggest failure is what ever caused Montour to stop progressing. If Montour is here still putting up 50 pts no one is talking about Theo

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What happened was a misevaluation of Theodore's ceiling along with an unwillingness to offend Bieksa/Kesler by asking for him to waive. The Ducks usage of Fowler shows they think of him as a PP QB/offensive defenseman. I'm guessing they saw Theodore as redundant with us already having Fowler. Big mistake.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So here is the logic. Even if we bought out Bieksa we were still going to have to make a deal to protect either Vatanen or Manson, who ever you don't protect. We also KNOW that the trade market was a stranglehold and no one was dealing. Especially for players who would be protection worth. So I don't think the trade Vats before the draft. I also included Montour as I'm guessing that the deal with vegas had to include either Monty or Theo. We know that the Ducks discussed the Rico trade before the draft. So if we follow the logic that we were likely to trade our RS offensive D then it made sense to keep the guy most likely to replace him. I think the biggest failure is what ever caused Montour to stop progressing. If Montour is here still putting up 50 pts no one is talking about Theo

Ok so using that logic the return for losing Theodore is either Henrique OR Guhle and a 1st, not both returns.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ok so using that logic the return for losing Theodore is either Henrique OR Guhle and a 1st, not both returns.
I include both because even if bieksa waived we would have had to make a deal with Vegas as we still had 4 D we wanted to protect. Vegas was going to get a top 4 D or a D prospect from us no matter what we did

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010

Well. I don’t think many (if any) thought we should risk losing Manson to keep Shea back then

there were a lot that wanted to see move(s) made to be able to keep what was a top prospect like Shea as well as Manson though

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Well. I don’t think many (if any) thought we should risk losing Manson to keep Shea back then

there were a lot that wanted to see move(s) made to be able to keep what was a top prospect like Shea as well as Manson though

At that moment in time, if Murray lost Manson, he realistically should’ve been fired. You can have issues with how BM handled things, like I think we all do in the whole keep Bieksa BS, but keeping Manson at that time was the right decision. It’s very easy to play Monday morning qb.

Reactions: Kalv

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
At that moment in time, if Murray lost Manson, he realistically should’ve been fired. You can have issues with how BM handled things, like I think we all do in the whole keep Bieksa BS, but keeping Manson at that time was the right decision. It’s very easy to play Monday morning qb.
Not sure if replying to me or previous poster
But I was trying to say basically the same regarding keeping Manson

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Looks like Andersen is done in Toronto. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he wanted out.
Maple Leafs have the highest expectations/pressure put on them by their owners/management/fans to win out of any team.
I can't imagine what its like playing for that franchise where everything is under a massive microscope.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
In these playoffs Theo has been on ice for 10 GA and 20 GF which gives him the second best rating on the team and t-6th in whole playoffs. You don't have to play defense if you are pushing the pace in the offensive zone instead.
Yes, he is not the first choice to protect a one goal lead but I think his defensive ''problems'' are well overblown.

How many of the GF were on the power play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad