Former Ducks, 2019-20

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
OK. But given Larsson's being much less valuable than Pettersson, how did you expect Bob to move him for the need Sprong was trying to fill? We weren't just dumping contracts, we were trying to move D for F.
I liked his post so I'll reply. I'll admit that Larsson doesn't really have anything to do with this, other than him being in the lineup instead of Pettersson. The way I see it, there was no real need. The season was already pretty much lost and we had several winger prospects on the way. And the main problem was not lack of talent but the players tuning out the coach. I see this trade as Murray's last ditch effort to avoid firing Carlyle.

I liked Pettersson. Haven't really watched him with the Pens but he must have done all right to earn that contract he just got. We can only hope Sprong pans out in the end.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I liked his post so I'll reply. I'll admit that Larsson doesn't really have anything to do with this, other than him being in the lineup instead of Pettersson. The way I see it, there was no real need. The season was already pretty much lost and we had several winger prospects on the way. And the main problem was not lack of talent but the players tuning out the coach. I see this trade as Murray's last ditch effort to avoid firing Carlyle.

I liked Pettersson. Haven't really watched him with the Pens but he must have done all right to earn that contract he just got. We can only hope Sprong pans out in the end.
I don’t necessarily disagree. I just don’t see the connection between, we kept Larsson and moved Pettersson. It was never a choice of one or the other.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I think that Kunitz trade is much worse than you think. Kunitz is a player that you need in the playoffs... a wolverine type who can score, hit, forecheck, and skate well. Whitney was never really good, not elite offensively or defensively and he was always a big softy. Losing Kunitz was a big reason for our decline the following years.

Lovejoy was also a better veteran over Despres. Despres only had a few good games that made people think he was gonna be really good but he got trapped all the time on heavy forechecks because he was really bad at pivoting. He also had a powder puff point shot and made alot of Guhle-like turnovers. He had so many mental lapses even before his injuries.

The only trade I do admit that that work out for us was for Perron. He was a great fit and he showed that his lack of speed was offset by his tenacity, hands, and puck possession when he won the cup with the Blues. The bad part was how BM traded Palmieri for the 2nd round pick to acquire Hagelin in the first place... Palmieri would have been a great player to have right now on our horrible power play.

Despres had a few good games?
Did you even watch the 2015 playoffs?
He was a legit #4 NHL dman until Barrie and Landeskog went after him

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

He played well in the playoffs but not at the same level during the regular season before his injuries. So yeah, a FEW playoff games. Maybe you didn’t see that he couldn’t pivot to his off hand during any forecheck and that he shot at hard as a goalie with his large size.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

He did play well those playoffs (except the Jets series) but his good play was a sample size of about 20 games. He came out the next year looking more like he did for the Pens - inconsistent.

We don’t really know what we had there. I once saw Sbisa look like a top pairing Dman for a stretch of 15 games - it’s always a question with young guys whether they are just having a good stretch or if they’ve actually taken a step forward.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I don’t necessarily disagree. I just don’t see the connection between, we kept Larsson and moved Pettersson. It was never a choice of one or the other.
True. Like I admitted in my previous post, there wasn't really a scenario where Larsson gets traded in a similar trade instead of Pettersson. So the only sort-of-connection is that we now have Larsson in the lineup instead of Pettersson. And Larsson struggling makes me miss Pettersson even more. All I'm saying is that in my opinion the whole trade was unnecessary.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
True. Like I admitted in my previous post, there wasn't really a scenario where Larsson gets traded in a similar trade instead of Pettersson. So the only sort-of-connection is that we now have Larsson in the lineup instead of Pettersson. And Larsson struggling makes me miss Pettersson even more. All I'm saying is that in my opinion the whole trade was unnecessary.
Well, it's certainly not looking like a good move at this point in time. Of course maybe if we still had any of Sami or Brandon or Theo we wouldn't have to be seeing Larsson now either. We went from a position of strength to a position of weakness with nothing much other than Henrique to show for it.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sprong being in SD makes the pettersson trade even worse than it already is

the montour trade was another BM gem. it's not like he's reached a new level playing for buffalo but he's clearly better than useless guhle

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

the montour trade was another BM gem. it's not like he's reached a new level playing for buffalo but he's clearly better than useless guhle
Are you forgetting that we also got a 1st round pick?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’m not too sad about losing Pettersson, at the time we had several LHD prospects all pushing to make the NHL, while we badly lacked a young kid who can shoot the puck. Pettersson would’ve never became as good here as he did in Pittsburgh because he never would’ve gotten more minutes than Lindholm and Fowler. It’s easy to forget that Sprong is the same age as Terry who most people still have high hopes for, so I think it’s still too early to write off Sprong.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not too sad about losing Pettersson, at the time we had several LHD prospects all pushing to make the NHL, while we badly lacked a young kid who can shoot the puck. Pettersson would’ve never became as good here as he did in Pittsburgh because he never would’ve gotten more minutes than Lindholm and Fowler. It’s easy to forget that Sprong is the same age as Terry who most people still have high hopes for, so I think it’s still too early to write off Sprong.

FWIW Pettersson can play the right side and is just as comfortable on the right as he is the left.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

That fanbase wants to move him as well. What does that tell you?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I took a look back at the Sprong trade thread, and NOBODY complained about the trade at the time. Just a couple were skeptical, but even they thought it was a worthwhile gamble. So many people get on GMBM's case for not making the high risk/high reward deals, but the one time he does and it doesn't pay off (at least to this point), they get on him for making the deal in the first place.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That fanbase wants to move him as well. What does that tell you?

That’s because they have a slew of middle pairing RHD and are worried about his contract demands, not necessarily because of his on ice play.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
He played well in the playoffs but not at the same level during the regular season before his injuries. So yeah, a FEW playoff games. Maybe you didn’t see that he couldn’t pivot to his off hand during any forecheck and that he shot at hard as a goalie with his large size.

Meh. Well have to agree to disagree then :)

Little OT but I watched his team Oskarshamn play the other night.
He is doing fairly well on a crappy SHL team tbh. Could carve out a SHL contract from a good team or maybe even a not so good KHL deal

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
His point totals are decent for a third liner though - pacing for 30 points. He’s also shooting at 8% which hasn’t done his goal totals any favors.
30 points for a third liner is okay, but he is probably getting around $3 million after his bonuses kick in. That seems a bit steep.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
30 points for a third liner is okay, but he is probably getting around $3 million after his bonuses kick in. That seems a bit steep.

Any idea what the bonuses are for?

$3M for a third liner these days is about right though.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Perry can't shoot anymore and teams are probably defending against him passing the puck instead of thinking he'll shoot it.
Defensively other teams can just skate around Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->