FORMER Canucks thread Part TWO

Which current Canucks are you looking forward to been part of this thread

• Total voters

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We're not talking about what happened after. Certainly Hodgson isn't the first player to express displeasure over his role and ice time and if that player didn't deserve it I would certainly back the coaching staff and management. As an aside, I did think Hodgson deserved a bigger role and ice time and the team would have been better for it but hey we were Cup contenders so nobody really cared.

But we're not talking about that. AV made those comments about Hodgson when he legitimately had an ailment affecting his performance. Clearly with hindsight Hodgson was in the right here. He shouldn't have just shut up and play. He needed to get whatever was bothering him properly diagnosed and treated. The whole thing was not a good look for the Canucks. If this happened under Benning you wouldn't stop posting about it.

As I just said, AV was probably in the wrong.

However, we have a lot of information about Hodgson and his behaviour after the fact so you can understand why the organization might have been exasperated from dealing with him and where this might have been a 'boy who cried wolf' situation.

AV's track record earns him some benefit of the doubt in my eyes. Jim Benning's does not.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He has lit Sweden up the last couple seasons so might as well give the NHL one more try.

SJS seems like a good opportunity with the way their team is trending—betting they give him a fair shake in their top-9 to see what they have.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of game 7 in 2011

Always knew Game 6 presented Vancouver with the last chance to win. The way they got destroyed again in Boston really hurt and I knew it was over. Still tuned in for Game 7 but shut it off after the 2nd goal...and thankfully I was home alone where I just sulked and pounded down beers after.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
“I didn’t really leave, they just chose not to have me back. So it was kind of out of my control. They didn’t want me back because they couldn’t take the risk on my health… I understand that. In retrospect, [former Canucks GM Mike Gillis] didn’t have a crystal ball.”
Link

Some serious feels after seeing this interview with Mitchell at Daily Hive.

Man, what if he'd been healthy? Or Malkin never threw a dirty hit in the first place...

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I was just looking through defensive stats and Tanev was first in everything but one...where he was second. I thought he was declining but he sure thrived somewhere else.

Reactions: supercanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Linden was also money in the shootout for whatever reason. Not the most sexy part of his story, but there were lots of happy shootout moments in his twilight years where he would always seem to bury the puck when he got the nod from to coach.

Thought it was more appropriate to respond here. Trevor Linden was definitely good at shootouts.

Interestingly, Tyler Toffoli currently has the distinction of being the worst shootout shooter in NHL history (among those with 10 or more attempts). Tyler desperately needs to score one more shootout goal so that Taylor Pyatt would take over that dubious distinction again.

It's the only Taylor vs Tyler worth watching. :sarcasm:

Reactions: lindgren

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Thought it was more appropriate to respond here. Trevor Linden was definitely good at shootouts.

Interestingly, Tyler Toffoli currently has the distinction of being the worst shootout shooter in NHL history (among those with 10 or more attempts). Tyler desperately needs to score one more shootout goal so that Taylor Pyatt would take over that dubious distinction again.

It's the only Taylor vs Tyler worth watching. :sarcasm:

It's weird that coaches keep on putting him into the shootout then. Henrik would be up there if AV decided to keep on trotting him out there. :laugh:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of game 7 in 2011

He had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games in the final. Absolute legend.

Here's a tidbit from Ronning:

You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's weird that coaches keep on putting him into the shootout then. Henrik would be up there if AV decided to keep on trotting him out there. :laugh:

At least with Henrik he wasn't consistently one of the team's top 3 goal scorers so there's an excuse not to put him out there besides him not being good at shootouts.

It is such a weird thing. You need a shootout goal to win the game and make the playoffs. Who would you put out there on the shootouts? Lapierre or Toffoli? The correct play here is Lapierre. :)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was never a linden guy until the '94 run. i appreciated that we had this good player on our team, but i was team bure all the way. but how can you cheer for the team and watch the '94 run and not come away as a fan of him?

same with kesler. i appreciated having kesler, but i was never a kesler guy until the nashville series. to a lesser degree, i was never super invested in horvat until last year's playoffs.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
i was never a linden guy until the '94 run. i appreciated that we had this good player on our team, but i was team bure all the way. but how can you cheer for the team and watch the '94 run and not come away as a fan of him?

same with kesler. i appreciated having kesler, but i was never a kesler guy until the nashville series. to a lesser degree, i was never super invested in horvat until last year's playoffs.

As a young fan back then, it was hard not to gravitate towards Linden as a "hero" of sorts. The '94 run was legendary, but then also, every few days it would seem, you would here a story about how he quietly visited BC Children's on his own, or how he took time out of his day to chat with fans or sign autographs. You could not ask for more from a "Face of the Franchise'.

Reactions: lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As a young fan back then, it was hard not to gravitate towards Linden as a "hero" of sorts. The '94 run was legendary, but then also, every few days it would seem, you would here a story about how he quietly visited BC Children's on his own, or how he took time out of his day to chat with fans or sign autographs. You could not ask for more from a "Face of the Franchise'.

I think a lot of it depends on the age in which one first started to really pay attention to the team. If you were old enough to see Linden drafted and then step in and score 30 goals you probably became a fan of Linden early. If you started to really pay attention when Bure first came in you are probably team Bure. Same applies to the WCE era. If you saw the Sedins drafted and saw them struggle in their early years you probably aren't that invested in them (especially with the WCE there) than when you first started watching the Sedins break out into "front line players." Sedins and Carter was an exciting line. So too were the Sedins and Burrows at their best.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

I was thinking about this beautiful goal from 10 years ago this morning, probably one of the nicest goals the Sedins ever scored.

Technically it was 11 years ago :)

I was at that game. It was amazing. There was some concern that Crosby or Ovechkin would overtake Henrik for the Art Ross as the final games of the season were played out. In response, Hank put up 4 points, capped off by this spectacular goal, to seal up the Art Ross.

The whole crowd was chanting "MVP" after that goal.

I had a sore throat the next day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad