Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We had more POS’s. Kessler, Burrows, Lapierre, Torres we’re much worse than Marchand who was just a rookie at the time and wasn’t as far progressed into his role as a PoS at the time

So regardless, POS can help teams win Cups. See Tom Wilson and the Caps last season.

I can see how undisciplined plays lead to penalties which lead to losses. But some POS players are smart about their antics and definitely help more than they harm. Tkachuk’s offensive prowess easily outweighs whatever warts he may have. And we’ve already established that teams win Cups with rats on their team all the time, so it’s not a valid concern.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So regardless, POS can help teams win Cups. See Tom Wilson and the Caps last season.

I can see how undisciplined plays lead to penalties which lead to losses. But some POS players are smart about their antics and definitely help more than they harm. Tkachuk’s offensive prowess easily outweighs whatever warts he may have. And we’ve already established that teams win Cups with rats on their team all the time, so it’s not a valid concern.

I remember what it was like to have those guys on our team and I just don’t want them anymore. It’s not worth it to me, I want our players to play the right way because they are representing our city and setting examples for the kids growing up here. I don’t want a generation of Keslers or Tkachuks walking around. I’d rather have Horvats and Boesers.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
And you would have given them up for nothing because they were dirty players? Because that is what you were indicating with your "rather bust than Tkachuk" comment

I would rather not get them in the first place. If I had to get rid of them for nothing then I would but obviously my preference would be to get as much value back as possible.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I remember what it was like to have those guys on our team and I just don’t want them anymore. It’s not worth it to me, I want our players to play the right way because they are representing our city and setting examples for the kids growing up here. I don’t want a generation of Keslers or Tkachuks walking around. I’d rather have Horvats and Boesers.

Ok. I want our team to win a Cup, and that takes priority over the reputation of an individual player. Tkachuk would be a welcome addition to help us contend again. The fact that you care more about the reputation of our players rather than winning, by that definition, makes you a loser in the most literal sense possible as you would sacrifice the quality of our team for reputation.

Reactions: pomorick

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Ok. I want our team to win a Cup, and that takes priority over the reputation of an individual player. Tkachuk would be a welcome addition to help us contend again. The fact that you care more about the reputation of our players rather than winning, by that definition, makes you a loser in the most literal sense possible.

If it makes me a loser to want our players to be honest and clean players then I guess I’m a loser.

Reactions: daddyohsix

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If it makes me a loser to want our players to be honest and clean players then I guess I’m a loser.
Agreed.

Whoever won the Cup in 2011 did so because the Canucks were cheapshotted to hell. There is no doubt in my mind that no team was in their league at that time other than CHI, who cheated to get that way.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ok. I want our team to win a Cup, and that takes priority over the reputation of an individual player. Tkachuk would be a welcome addition to help us contend again. The fact that you care more about the reputation of our players rather than winning, by that definition, makes you a loser in the most literal sense possible as you would sacrifice the quality of our team for reputation.
Didn't help Tkachuk's cause when his father was a rat who pushed the then President of the club around. "Sins of the father"....

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Can I assume then that you would like to get rid of Roussel as quick as possible?

Yes, absolutely... because it's a part of the same thread that weaves that argument together. However, the only clear ways out are silence, or rationalizing that Roussel isn't a rat. Under normal circumstances it can be assumed that Rousell should be ridden of ASAP from someone holding that rational... but this isn't a normal circumstance.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Show me 1 dirty player in the modern era that won the cup on a team that wouldn’t have won without them being dirty.
You're of course asking for proof of an impossible causation, so your response ("that's not why they won the Cup!") is as predictable as the rest of your schtick, but here you go:

lemieux.jpg

hockey-nhl-finals-colorado-avalanche-claude-lemieux-victorious-with-picture-id95633872

Duncan+Keith+2015+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+0LQOZGlZIRWl.jpg

DMjfC6_UIAAeXPb.jpg

(If you don't think he was instrumental you're kidding yourself)

bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-crunched-the-canucks-henrik-sedin-with-a-picture-id127314395

Even ignoring the fatalist nonsense that the 2011 Canucks couldn't win because of some karma as opposed to being 99.7% injured. In which case you'd have a few guys who would burst the bubble on this theory too.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Can I assume then that you would like to get rid of Roussel as quick as possible?

Roussell isn’t a dirty player, he plays hard and agitates but from my POV he does it clean he’s never been suspended and he fights to stand up for himself unlike the players we’re talking about aka Tkachuk, Cooke, Marchand, and other DIRTY players who clearly intend to injure other players. Nice try though.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Roussell isn’t a dirty player, he plays hard and agitates but from my POV he does it clean he’s never been suspended and he fights to stand up for himself unlike the players we’re talking about aka Tkachuk, Cooke, Marchand, and other DIRTY players who clearly intend to injure other players. Nice try though.

Never been suspended? Uhhhh ... yes he has.

Reactions: Peter10

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Looks like I was wrong about him never being suspended but... That’s it? McQuaid made a dirty hit on Roussel by catching him with a knee on knee, could’ve been very dangerous and yes he’s going to respond in kind I don’t have a problem with that play considering it was on McQuaid who broke Mason Raymond’s back among a whole bunch of other dirty plays he got away with because he’s a Bruin. 1 suspension for Roussel doesn’t make him a dirty player, even Alex Edler and Janik Hansen have been suspended.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks like I was wrong about him never being suspended but... That’s it? McQuaid made a dirty hit on Roussel by catching him with a knee on knee, could’ve been very dangerous and yes he’s going to respond in kind I don’t have a problem with that play considering it was on McQuaid who broke Mason Raymond’s back among a whole bunch of other dirty plays he got away with because he’s a Bruin. 1 suspension for Roussel doesn’t make him a dirty player, even Alex Edler and Janik Hansen have been suspended.

Like, do you follow hockey?

Roussel is widely known as one of the dirtiest players in the NHL and has been for years.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-roussel-runs-goalie-sucker-punches-braun/

Stars' Roussel fined maximum for sucker punch - Sportsnet.ca

Also, way to completely excuse cross-checking a guy in the face. Your hypocrisy runs strong.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He also regularly turtles, the thing you were losing your mind about Tkachuk doing. Tkachuk has several NHL fights, too.

I just added up his AHL fights and when you combine it with his NHL fights he has 90 fights. Once Tkachuk has 90 fights then maybe he can decide not to but not after being 3rd man in on Connor f***ing McDavid. I’m bringing this back on track to Kassian because he’s the reason why we started this and Roussel isn’t relevant, and neither are the weak little bumps and punches you posted that have nothing to do with intending to injure anyone. I would love to see Kassian back with EP and I’m sure Benning would be open to getting him back if his off ice issues have been straightened out.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver

Wrong again. It was Johnny Boychuk who threw Raymond into the boards.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Wrong again. It was Johnny Boychuk who threw Raymond into the boards.

Ya you’re right, man it’s been so long that every Bruin on that team feels the same to me. I guess what I’m trying to say is, dirty hits on Bruins don’t count as dirty in my mind. One exception is Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad