Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Didn't help Tkachuk's cause when his father was a rat who pushed the then President of the club around. "Sins of the father"....

i have seen this posted a surprising amount of times. when the eff did keith tkachuk ever push around linden?

wouldn't he have been busy blowing 3-1 series leads to him?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
i have seen this posted a surprising amount of times. when the eff did keith tkachuk ever push around linden?

wouldn't he have been busy blowing 3-1 series leads to him?
It happened during a Canucks Jets regular season game (I’m going by memory). This was the pre-Jumbo Keith days. During a play stoppage in a scrum, Keith Tkachuk REALLY gave it to Trev. No sucker punches but giving it to him knowing he wouldn’t respond by dropping the gloves as he didn’t fight ( would’ve been over matched anyways as this was during the time Keith was in shape).

It was far less physical damage he tried doing to Trev but more attempting to embarrass him. Good thing there were players on the Canucks to put a stop to this classless act (Sergio)

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It happened during a Canucks Jets regular season game (I’m going by memory). This was the pre-Jumbo Keith days. During a play stoppage in a scrum, Keith Tkachuk REALLY gave it to Trev. No sucker punches but giving it to him knowing he wouldn’t respond by dropping the gloves as he didn’t fight ( would’ve been over matched anyways as this was during the time Keith was in shape).

Maybe Benning and Weisbrod wanted Tkachuk but Linden overruled them because of this altercation with Keith Tkachuk? Is that the idea?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

It was far less physical damage he tried doing to Trev but more attempting to embarrass him. Good thing there were players on the Canucks to put a stop to this classless act (Sergio)

huh, i have no memory of that. assuming it was an isolated incident, do you really think trevor does?

It would’ve hardly helped considering his son plays in the same manner.

I never claimed it was THE main reason.

a bigger reason, if we’re speculating, might be linden not wanting to draft a kid who came from loins that are 1-7 in elimination games against him?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Canucks had Juolevi 5th on their list. I think some posters here underestimate just how highly regarded Juolevi was among NHL scouts. For those who like to use "consensus rankings" by taking into account all the draft bloggers' rankings, virtually nobody had PLD or Tkachuk ahead of Puljujarvi either.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The Canucks had Juolevi 5th on their list. I think some posters here underestimate just how highly regarded Juolevi was among NHL scouts. For those who like to use "consensus rankings" by taking into account all the draft bloggers' rankings, virtually nobody had PLD or Tkachuk ahead of Puljujarvi either.

This is just speculation.

Also Edmonton doesn't exactly have a stellar record developing their prospects.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Juolevi was definitely a highly regarded prospect, but it was a similar situation to the Virtanen year where several players were very close. It's interesting that Juolevi was clearly rated below Tkachuk and there was debate about Nylander and Sergachev IIRC. Definitely Sergachev as a boom or bust type pick.

That being said several people here were also terrified Benning would pick Keller

This is just speculation.

Also Edmonton doesn't exactly have a stellar record developing their prospects.

So sad to see so many players rushed to the NHL. A 4th overall pick projected to be an offensive player playing 65 games to put up 20 points. Brutal.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He essentially told the media he was taking a D-man no matter what as all he talked about was needing a top D-man prospect for the weeks leading up to the draft. That was a draft that he had no intention of taking anybody but Juolevi no matter how the first handful of picks happened. He was picking by position instead of best player available. Which is a silly thing to do most of the time and especially when you are picking that high and need talent at every position (still do really). Even after the draft he admitted that the pick was based on perceived organization need.

"We haven’t drafted a defenseman in the first round in
eleven years, so we liked the players that went ahead of us, but we just felt
that at five, if we could get a high-end defenseman, a guy that we think is going
to be a top-pairing defenseman it served us good to keep adding to our depth on
the back end"

He also admitted that they thought of moving down.

It had nothing to do where Juolevi was on the overall list..the only thing that mattered was the Juolevi was first on the canucks available D-men list.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So Dan Hamhuis was taken off IR last week and is averaging 20:01 TOI in the last 4 games with the Preds.

Can't help but think we could use him.

And Brad Richardson.

I look at the travel this team inevitably faces, the depth that is so obviously needed. Then think about players like Biega and Gaunce sitting or going to Utica, and I shake my head.

Reactions: geebaan

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
So Dan Hamhuis was taken off IR last week and is averaging 20:01 TOI in the last 4 games with the Preds.

Can't help but think we could use him.

And Brad Richardson.

I look at the travel this team inevitably faces, the depth that is so obviously needed. Then think about players like Biega and Gaunce sitting or going to Utica, and I shake my head.

The Canucks pro scouting department has been among the leagues worst for years now.

"You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold em."

Doubt Benning listens to Kenny Rogers while eating a plate of meat and potatoes.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Roussell isn’t a dirty player, he plays hard and agitates but from my POV he does it clean he’s never been suspended and he fights to stand up for himself unlike the players we’re talking about aka Tkachuk, Cooke, Marchand, and other DIRTY players who clearly intend to injure other players. Nice try though.
Now I know for sure that this is a joke account and will never take your opinion seriously.

What garbage.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Now I know for sure that this is a joke account and will never take your opinion seriously.

What garbage.

Over the past week he's ran out of believable material, but still had some funny ones.

He should have spent that time on the politics board while it existed, he would be creaming his pants at the reactions he could have had.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Tkachuk even said himself that the Canucks never seemed interested in him at the combine. He said they had one interview with him and it was a very short one. They had Juolevi all along if they couldn't get PLD.

Reactions: JuniorNelson and MS

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

What garbage.

You are entitled to your opinion even though it’s wrong as usual. I understand why you’d want to dismiss opinions you disagree with out of hand because it makes it easier for you to go through life without thinking but a few isolated plays doesn’t make someone a dirty player.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Imagine being fans to a team where you have to consider the possibility that your team passed on a player like Tkachuk because you don't like his dad. Not like a Hodgson thing, but because you played against him and you didn't like playing against him, which interesting is the kind of thing you would want in a player.
Can you even "imagine" such a thing

Anyway..

Stetcher IMO is a #4/#5D. His biggest issue is his size. While guys like Tanev make up for their size with IQ and a good stick, Stetcher actually has some physicality in his game to be effective. I think he would do fine against a team like Toronto for example, but would get exposed by the Jets. It's rare for me to have this stance on a player. Size obviously matters in the NHL, but it's more of a general trait that helps you. I don't generally think that some players are more vulnerable to big physical players as to be an effective player in the NHL you have to face them.

Again with a guy like Tanev, he uses his intelligence and stickwork to make up for it. Sedins were like 15 pounds heavier than Pettersson but were some of the best players in the league at protecting the puck regardless of the size of the player they were battling against. It doesn't matter nearly as much if you're outmatched physically if you can get position and have good stick work. Hutton could easily throw more hits than he does, and I hope he starts to, but he's pretty good positionally and with his stick and that's why he comes up with the puck a hell of a lot more than Gudbranson does. Now Tanev is less physical than both and is even more effective.

Stetcher seems to just fall into that zone of making up for some shortcomings in his game by playing real hard. It's interesting that his "hits" stat is so low as to me I notice him making some decent hits, but they're generally just sort of angling someone into the boards and taking them out, maybe those are counted less? Regardless, I do think he actually tries to get some hits and use his body rather than his stick more than other players of his size, but against a big deal he just can't do it and it hurts his effectiveness.

I haven't watched Hamhuis, but I would assume he plays like a #4 maybe #5 guy. The difference would probably be that like most NHL players he won't have the same issue dealing with size like Stetcher does. Stetcher also has to play on a bad team and could possibly be better if he had more scoring up front. From time to time he actually makes a good rush or takes a good shot, and you have to wonder if he could do more in the right situation. He's also played a lot with Pouliot and Del Zotto this year, I have a feeling he may have actually taken a step forward this year but we just haven't been able to see it with Edler out of the mix.

You are entitled to your opinion even though it’s wrong as usual. I understand why you’d want to dismiss opinions you disagree with out of hand because it makes it easier for you to go through life without thinking but a few isolated plays doesn’t make someone a dirty player.

You're right, isolated plays don't make someone a dirty player. Your body of work should determine what kind of player you are, as well as what you've done within a time frame. For example Tanev isn't a dirty player, and if he elbowed someone in the head tonight he wouldn't be a dirty player despite it being a dirty play, but if he started doing it regularly he would become a dirty player.

If Burrows had never done anything borderline before, though I never really thought he was outright dirty rather than walking the line, I wouldn't call him a dirty player cause of that time he was driving his knee into the back of Hall's head and neck. If, on the other hand, he started making dirty plays in the last 2 years of his career it would be reasonable to call him a dirty player, despite unfortunately tarnishing his whole career.

Personally, I think it's lucky he didn't really tarnish his career with that Hall incident. If I were in charge of suspensions Burrows would have effectively been done. He would be too old to come back after I suspended him for a season, and it would have been a damn shame, but that play could very realistically paralyze or kill someone. It was on the level of McSorley hitting Brashear in the head with a stick, which could have been real bad as Brashear's helmet was falling off, but Burrows was actually multiple times as well.

Make no mistake though, the rest of your argument is stupid but you know that. "muh hockey gods". Cooke did win though, Claude Lemieux won, Brown won, Carcillo won, Nolan won etc.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Actually, I didn’t dismiss your opinions at first. But every time I try to understand your pov, it makes my head hurt. Nothing you say makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad