Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Why can't you? I never said he was the best coach in the league, I just said he was a good coach, something his career record supports. I also don't think he deserves the blind hatred that he gets here especially seeing as TG is getting cut all kinds of slack here for being no better than WD. One thing is for sure: a LOT of people here take my refusal to join in the Willie hate VERY personally. These people need to find a better outlet for their frustration.

Okay, I'll bite.

Why do you think people hate him? Why have 2 fanbases, teams, and their media's, and in the second case, players openly, said this guy is terrible. Is it all a conspiracy? I'd like to know.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No no, what people are gloating about is that even when weighing the (obvious) fact that Willie was a placeholder in a meaningless season he was still a disaster in LA. The reaction from the Kings fans, media, and players to Willie is exactly the same as it was in Vancouver: they are shocked at how terrible his performance was. He's getting absolutely buried on his way out, the same way it happened in Vancouver.

I actually think there's something wrong with Willie. He's stubborn to the point that it's a mental illness. He sort of reminds me of my dad, who is also a mustachioed prairie dumbass. They both double down on their bad decisions in the face of all available evidence. For my dad it means never asking for directions when driving, for Willie it means alienating his star players, elevating garbage plugs, etc etc.

"Mustachioed prarie dumbass" eh? You forgot to call him "twitchy"...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Okay, I'll bite.

Why do you think people hate him? Why have 2 fanbases, teams, and their media's, and in the second case, players openly, said this guy is terrible. Is it all a conspiracy? I'd like to know.

Simple. When WD was fired he was almost universally hated by the Canucks fanbase because that's how this fanbase rolls when things don't go their way. The second LA hired him the LA board here was littered with Vancouver posters casting aspersions on Willie which helped the LA fans get a head start on hating a guy who had almost no hope of being re hired in the first place. Same as when Guddy went to the Pens; the Pens board was literally invaded by Canuck fans who crapped all over Guddy and continued to do so even when it looked like Guddy was a far better fit in Pittsburgh than he was in Vancouver, it was like a jilted boyfriend who couldn't believe that his ex could ever find happiness with another guy. It is certainly NOT a conspiracy, at least not at the level of hockey management since he has been consistently employed in pro hockey operations for awhile now. The fans hate him but the hockey world seems to think he's OK. We shall see what the future holds for him but I'm betting he gets another AHL gig before too long fan hatred be damned...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...and with that my discussion on WD here shall end since the last time I ran afoul of the moderators on this board it was because I was refusing to join in the hate. Have at 'er haters. Perhaps a riot is in order...

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Simple. When WD was fired he was almost universally hated by the Canucks fanbase because that's how this fanbase rolls when things don't go their way. The second LA hired him the LA board here was littered with Vancouver posters casting aspersions on Willie which helped the LA fans get a head start on hating a guy who had almost no hope of being re hired in the first place. Same as when Guddy went to the Pens; the Pens board was literally invaded by Canuck fans who crapped all over Guddy and continued to do so even when it looked like Guddy was a far better fit in Pittsburgh than he was in Vancouver, it was like a jilted boyfriend who couldn't believe that his ex could ever find happiness with another guy. It is certainly NOT a conspiracy, at least not at the level of hockey management since he has been consistently employed in pro hockey operations for awhile now. The fans hate him but the hockey world seems to think he's OK. We shall see what the future holds for him but I'm betting he gets another AHL gig before too long fan hatred be damned...

Why no NHL gig? I thought he was good? Surely if you thought he was good, he should be up for an NHL gig no problem.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
You should probably argue in good faith and explain why you defend Willie so much. Are you a relative or a former player of his? Your bias is so strong that you are throwing a million people under the bus.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
im not totally convinced that watching willie desjardins lead the lehigh valley phantoms to a playoff appearance or whatever will somehow take away from how poorly he did in Vancouver

we already know he's a solid coach at the ahl level where he has far fewer skill players and europeans to dick around

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I'm pretty sure LA was going to suck anyway this year but Willie was and still is an dreadful coach.

The Calgary series remains one of the worst coaching performances this league has ever seen.

Reactions: vanuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yea, no reason to hate Desardins. He was brilliant obviously :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
He was never going to get extended in LA barring making the playoffs. So his news of being let go isn’t a surprise to anyone. Don’t see the need to be happy about it like you seem to be. LA is an old team. Kovy has other options but he chose LA. Not shocked that he didn’t get along with WD.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Not all coaches are meant to be head coaches in the NHL. Just because you've had success at the junior or minor league levels doesn't mean it will translate to the NHL. You might be better suited as an assistant coach or to be in one of those other leagues. This really shouldn't be that hard to understand, unless you're trying hard not to understand.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
D611BCC3-6F59-4936-AE5B-14A5251E0D2B.jpeg

omg the reverse-messier. do it trev, avenge your father (pat quinn)

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not mad that you defend Willie. I respect it. To defend someone who very clearly sucks, to the hilt, to the bitter end, that's what the Internet is all about.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is clearly unarmed.

Target practice, on the other hand . . .

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Just did a quick look up on Dahlen

4 pts (all assists) in 7 games
Yeah, he has only played 7 games since traded
That’s a 46 pts pace if you really want to use the sample size, which is roughly the same as his pace with Utica

I think he returns to Sweden in 2020 after failing to become a bel regular

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Always the Canucks fans fault, eh?

Precious Willie can do no wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad