HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Guess it won't be long before he starts pouting like his brother did in Calgary.
should be a hab, but MB screwed us.

I'm not crazy about Necas since he is pretty soft. If his playoff performances had been better I would feel more comfortable giving up the required assets for him.
agreed he seems soft.... not sure that is what we need on the 2nd line

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
People making fun of Nylander and his migraines should be shot out of a cannon. Other than not being able to watch a talented player play, this affects him off the ice. Some people need to STFU.
10/4 high horse, no jokes around you because its a subject you think is 'super serious'. We're all adults here (I hope) and all know that migraines suck.

Reactions: Habano

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
and the 3 yr deal can be a problem- Look at the Leafs and Marleau. Not against using Free agency but at the right time and on the right player. I would prefer either a trade for a younger established player or a younger free agent. Not much interesting in this years free agent crop other than reinhart who if he ever went UFA would have lots of offers. 2025 crop looking better now but most will resign with their team before then (marner, Draisatel, Rantannen, Ehlers, konecny, bennet, verhage.

For me, the older UFA on a short term deal you sign when you are already a contender as a final piece to be a cup contender. maybe summer 2025. That Crosby guy might want to play for his favorite team as a kid. I hear he wants 8.7M or maybe 870K nothing in between
Marleau was 38 when Leafs acquired him and had been declining steadily to a 40pts player, how are the two situations even comparable?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Not a chance. He's spent his life in TB and has no affiliation with Montreal.
Only way he comes to Montreal is if he really wants MSL as his coach and no one else is offering a great contract. But even then, I just don't see him coming to play in Canada unless it's to Toronto since he's a hometown guy or Edmonton to play with McDavid, both teams don't have cap space anyways though.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Marleau was 38 when Leafs acquired him and had been declining steadily to a 40pts player, how are the two situations even comparable?
They are comparable in that its a older player and we are talking a 3 year deal. Not all players decline at the same age so there is risk in signing guys in their mid 30s to 3 year plus deals. Not everyone ages as well as Marleau and Pavalski (something in SJ water). The risk is in length of the deal.

There is not unlimited resources (cap space) so you have to use it wisely. A 34 year old asset will not get better each year- there will be a decline, the question is how much. 3 years increases that risk significantly.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They are comparable in that its a older player and we are talking a 3 year deal. Not all players decline at the same age so there is risk in signing guys in their mid 30s to 3 year plus deals. Not everyone ages as well as Marleau and Pavalski (something in SJ water). The risk is in length of the deal.

There is not unlimited resources (cap space) so you have to use it wisely. A 34 year old asset will not get better each year- there will be a decline, the question is how much. 3 years increases that risk significantly.
But you need to look at the trend be it looming or steadiness of the player im question.

Stamkos has been above PPG each of last 7-seasons, Marleau had already stated his decline in late 20s and he was never a steady PPG player to begin with

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Only way he comes to Montreal is if he really wants MSL as his coach and no one else is offering a great contract. But even then, I just don't see him coming to play in Canada unless it's to Toronto since he's a hometown guy or Edmonton to play with McDavid, both teams don't have cap space anyways though.
Is he 38 years old yet? If no, we gotta wait.

nostirls has food poisoning
Lol... was it something he ordered via Uber Eats?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Bergevin's most defining characteristic as a GM was inconsistency

Good sign of someone in way over their head
He truly never had a proper multi year plan. Wanted to rebuild in 2012-13, pivoted to contending after a good season but didn't go all the way, wanted to compete in 2017 but proceeded to lose one of our leading scorers and half of our top 4 defense, pivoted to a retool which was quickly abandoned after 2 years.

His inability to have a clear vision and long term plan to achieve it really hurt the team. When we competed, Bergevin didn't go all in to help that goal, when we were rebuilding, he didn't do a full firesale. As a fan that was so frustrating, he didn't commit to any direction which basically left us in no man's land (only reason why we had success was because of Price stealing games).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I hope PK shares his thoughts on Therrien. Would buy his autobiography in a heart beat to see the section on his time as a hab.

By all means, rip the coaching in TO.

But if you need your coach to get you up for a playoff game? Sorry, no…

He’s an 11 million dollar player who produces in the regular season. He can’t just disappear. It’s entirely on the player in this case.

That doesn’t mean the team has a good mid or coaching couldn’t help. But Marner shies away from contact and it just doesn’t work if you want a cup.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The plan could be give them 1 game each and go from there.

But if you go back to Ullmark you're hoping there's a win, otherwise you just look like a complete moron

Reactions: dinodebino

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
By all means, rip the coaching in TO.

But if you need your coach to get you up for a playoff game? Sorry, no…

He’s an 11 million dollar player who produces in the regular season. He can’t just disappear. It’s entirely on the player in this case.

That doesn’t mean the team has a good mid or coaching couldn’t help. But Marner shies away from contact and it just doesn’t work if you want a cup.

I knew Keefe was useless when he had to walk back public criticism of Marner & co a while back. How can you be held accountable and respect your boss when any criticism he makes is immediately taken back just to soothe your bruised ego?​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad