For a Few Dollars More (CBA & Lockout Discussion)- Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Sorry that's not how things are done. Both parties signed off on the dotted line, that is a signed contract and it's honestly unlawful for a company as every league is to go to the player and say "Yeah that contract you signed a few months back, we want you to give some back" It's ridiculous how the league is acting in all of this. I don't care how much money a person makes, if you and your company agree to terms on a contract, that contract should be freakin honoured!! I'm surprised players aren't thinking of suing the league over this.

Even if the value of the contract is reduced by a new CBA, the contract is still honored! If you read an SPC you will see that the players agree to have their contracts modified if a new CBA is in effect. So if they sue, they will lose horribly because then its them trying to not honor the contract.

*EDIT - upon further review I am uncertain whether or not such language actually exists in a SPC.

Last edited:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
NHL proposal #1: One banana
PA proposal #1: One orange

NHL proposal #2: Two bananas

PA proposal #2: a) Two oranges
b) Three bananas

A = What the players want to offer
B = What the owners are looking for

Nanuk23

Feb 3, 2010
NB
Unless there is an actual deadline to end the season the PA will posture. The league has to make a firm deadline and basically both sides have to **** or get off the pot. This posturing is the most frustrating thing of the whole deal.

I honestly think an anti posturing claus should be considered for the next CBA when ever it is. The only way they know how to negotiate is by playing chicken.

The unfortunate reality is negotiations for pro sports CBA's are for most part always done in public. Doubt that will ever change

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
If the players second offer is simply a reconfigured version of their first offer with more owner friendly numbers. Does that mean the NHL has to make a counter-offer?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It does seem fair doesn't it? but since the players are getting 57% and refuse to "give back" a deal is impossible.

Lets just play devils advocate and say the current split was 57 owners and 43 players. 50/50 easy and fair. Do you think the owners would agree?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I just dont see the downfall to actually taking a bit of a hit. A creative way like a salary freeze is actually a good option.

a gradual decrease is a great option.

This is, with proper usage, to benefit the league.

The players, no matter at 50% or 57% will be making 2.5b+ within a few years with steady growth.

however they've already killed the 7.1% growth in their proposal, it's not happening this year , it's doubtful for next year.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Lets just play devils advocate and say the current split was 57 owners and 43 players. 50/50 easy and fair. Do you think the owners would agree?

Players make nearly 100% of their share, owners have to give up a huge amount of percentage due to other expenses.

thus you have many owners jumping in and out of the red, few being very profitable.

players at 50% still will make more and more money guarenteed, owners are not guarenteed any profits.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If the players second offer is simply a reconfigured version of their first offer with more owner friendly numbers. Does that mean the NHL has to make a counter-offer?

Like the last couple times I would assume the NHL offers another proposal quite swiftly if there is any concessions made by the PA.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

If the league were profitable, then yes. You have to remember that other pro PA's have successfully gotten 'more' in the past, and the NHLPA itself is coming off periods where it got a large chunk of the pie.

This is also the point of having a CBA. If one side is favoured too much, the other side has a chance to renegotiate and try to get fair compensation. This happens all the time in the real world. If the league were to somehow rise into the #3 spot in North America, the players might want to strike in the future in order to get more.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

How many indisutries/sports...whatever, do the employees make alot more then their employers? Most employers should be able to control their labour costs to a certain extent. Not to many people think the poor PA is suffering and not treated "fair"

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
How many indisutries/sports...whatever, do the employees make alot more then their employers? Most employers should be able to control their labour costs to a certain extent. Not to many people think the poor PA is suffering and not treated "fair"

I worked in accounting for a security company, the guards got over 50% of the revenue there.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Bill Daly said league has been given indication PA is working on a proposal. League has urged them to make it.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
It's an entertainment thing, as the product is people.

And it still didn't answer the question if the CBA split was 57/43 owners, would you be demanding that 50/50 is fair?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

If I owned a restaurant that had 60 employees. I'd be happy if my end equaled what 40 of my employees made let alone all 60.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Bill Daly said league has been given indication PA is working on a proposal. League has urged them to make it.

this whole negotiation has been planned according to the incremental cancelation schedule. Nothing "REally" needs to be done until there is threat of more games lost. These deals come together quickly. They need to agree in principle and the rest is gravy.

the buyer is always going to buy when the deals are the sweetest. end of fiscal quarter = discount.. end of fiscal year = bigger discount.

Fehr will wait until the end of each cancellation period. whenever Bettman can officially drop the hammer for more games lost is when the sides will really put it on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad