FOOTBALL! Pro/College/etc. Still undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
You are in the vast minority on this one. Tomlin's playoff record for the last 10 years has been miserable. Miserable. The dude has to deliver when it matters. He's very Bylsma.

You're not going to find a single coach in the NFL outside of Belichick who has had the post season success of Mike Tomlin. He’s a high end, top tier, hall of fame coach that has constantly adjusted his team’s approach (defense first, run first, pass first) for continued success over umpteen years. But sure, he’s awful.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I actually hate the Bylsma comparison. We’ve seen at this point that Bylsma isn’t really capable of being a head coach without being carried by superstars. I would bet money on Tomlin being able to turn a struggling team around.

I guarantee you this though. Wherever he goes (hypothetically) he's not going to be there for 14 (and counting) years.

You can take that to the bank :laugh:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Steelers Ravens must be moved to Sunday, at minimum. If Ravens keep spreading the rona then move the game to week 18 and give the Steelers than Bye week that the Titans stole from us.

Although I'm not gonna lie, I rather face Baltimore now than in 2 months. They're in a downward spiral. Big injuries, LJ is very meh. Now is the time to go for the sweep.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Or they postpone it, give both teams a bye, and make this game up in week 18 by bumping the playoffs back a week.
I don’t think they’re going to postpone a prime time thanksgiving game and I don’t see how they’d move another game in its place. The NFL and the Ravens are kind of screwed in this. But what do I know.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
the Thursday game shouldn’t be moved unless half the Ravens come down with Covid in the next couple days...too bad for them, they shouldn’t get an advantage by moving the game...just isolate those positive players and play on

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
You can't postpone/move the game for a few players on one side. The league put rules in place to protect against exactly that scenario in the run up to this season.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
They should also need to quarantine the close contacts like we did. No way they have 2 positives and no close contact cases.

Reactions: Pengwins

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Sadly we live in a time where criticizing anything a person of color does is inherently racist. But I'll dive in regardless.

Tomlin is a good coach who has a decade of miserable playoff performances to his name, largely because he hasn't had his teams prepared to play (losing to the Broncos and Jags come to mind right away), is an utter mess when it comes to clock management and quite frankly he has shown little feel for changing a game plan on the fly. Our O and D coordinators are nothing special, both being floated by the superior talent on the field. Not to mention his handling of AB and other locker room problems was atrocious. Basically letting AB, for example, do whatever the hell he wanted without reproach.

Coaching has held this team back and this year will almost surely be no different. We could go 16-0 and I wouldn't feel great about making it out of the divisional round. I have never felt like NE fans must have felt having Belichek and Brady.

Take Ben off this team over the past decade and Tomlin would have been let go/quit a handful of years ago. Zero doubt in my mind.

Mike Tomlin is a good coach. His record alone proves that. He's not a great coach. Great coaches don't go 10 years with 3 playoff wins to their name, especially when you have a first ballot HOF QB at the helm.

Win a SB this year though and that narrative changes for me. 3 trips to the SB with 2 wins puts you into the great class. Not legendary, but certainly great. But I am in no way confident of that happening. I see a very minuscule chance of us beating KC if it were to come to that in the AFC title game. I'll enjoy this ride as long as it lasts but am prepared for another January failure.

Edit:

FTR, I call Bill Cowher nothing more than a good coach. Results matter.

Reactions: Hungamania

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
They should also need to quarantine the close contacts like we did. No way they have 2 positives and no close contact cases.

How Gus Edwards is able to play, as of now, blows my mind. Dobbins also had a ton of usage yesterday so I’d expect that more players will be put on the COVID list in the coming days.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're not going to find a single coach in the NFL outside of Belichick who has had the post season success of Mike Tomlin. He’s a high end, top tier, hall of fame coach that has constantly adjusted his team’s approach (defense first, run first, pass first) for continued success over umpteen years. But sure, he’s awful.

Man the same bullshit was spewed about Bylsma and his regular season stats. I've heard that story 10 times before. Tomlin is a flawed coach. He's a great motivator and an absolute shit in-game coach. He's been brutal with in-game adjustments. He cost this team games in the playoffs.

But it is what it is now. I cheer for him because it ain't changing and it's too late to do so in Ben's career. So we have what we have.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I can feel really good about all the Steelers have accomplished this year.

While acknowledging that I'd give them a 1-in-4 chance against KC. And that's maybe generous. Just too much outsmarting themselves on offense (including Ben refusing to throw intermediate) and I still don't actually think we can hold Mahomes under 30 if KC decides they want it.

I actually watched Stephen A today (I know, I know) and he's a Steelers fan allegedly. He said even at 10-0 he didn't think they were that good and thought KC would stomp them.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Man the same bullshit was spewed about Bylsma and his regular season stats. I've heard that story 10 times before. Tomlin is a flawed coach. He's a great motivator and an absolute shit in-game coach. He's been brutal with in-game adjustments. He cost this team games in the playoffs.

But it is what it is now. I cheer for him because it ain't changing and it's too late to do so in Ben's career. So we have what we have.

Find me a coach who has had more success over the last decade, post season included, than him. Outside of Belichick good luck.

Comparing the NFL to the NHL is flawed at best. Completely different playoff structures, completely different game Fay structure, completely different roster construction.

Tomlin’s made three AFC Championships in his 14 years as a coach. He has an over .500 record as a coach in the playoffs. He’s never had a losing season, even without the hall of fame quarterback he was supposed to utterly fail with.

There is not one coach, outside of Bill Belichick, that you would replace Tomlin with and see different results. It’s so exhausting to see people shit on a hall of famer and not appreciate what’s in front of them.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Find me a coach who has had more success over the last decade, post season included, than him. Outside of Belichick good luck.

Comparing the NFL to the NHL is flawed at best. Completely different playoff structures, completely different game Fay structure, completely different roster construction.

Tomlin’s made three AFC Championships in his 14 years as a coach. He has an over .500 record as a coach in the playoffs. He’s never had a losing season, even without the hall of fame quarterback he was supposed to utterly fail with.

There is not one coach, outside of Bill Belichick, that you would replace Tomlin with and see different results. It’s so exhausting to see people shit on a hall of famer and not appreciate what’s in front of them.

Overall Tomlin's track record is quite good.

My main complaint is that I don't think he's chased top talent as coordinators in recent years. And that may be for his own job security. Really wish we'd had a McDaniels.

Nonetheless at this point Tomlin himself is our "top talent" at D-coordinator which has helped.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

People bitch about Tomlin not being able to win playoff games. And you want to stand by finding a better coach where people are criticizing this dude?

His record in the last decade.... DECADE (2010-2019) and this is not purposely ignoring the SB Win. This is a decade. 2009 was a miss. 2008 SB.

- 2010: 2-1 and was a 7 point SB favorite. Team wasn't prepared and lost in the SB
- 2011: 0-1 Favorite and lost to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos in wilcard.
- 2014: 0-1 Lost to the Ravens 30-17
- 2015: 1-1 lost to the Broncos
- 2016: 2-1 lost to the Pats lolololol like every single time
- 2017: 0-1 lost to the Jags as a big favorite.
- Missed playoffs 2019, 2018, 2013, 2012,

4 missed playoffs, 2 HUGE blown opportunities, and a total record of 5 wins and 6 losses. Hell take his SB into play and he has an 8-7 record in the playoffs. His team hasn't shown up multiple times. There are plenty examples of his team not being prepared on the field. Tim Tebow... So finding a coach with a losing record in the playoffs in the last decade with the talent and franchise QB that he has had? Yeah.. i'd say as of now they easily left one SB at least on the table. Easily. Mostly due to coaching.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And for shits and giggles - if he wins the SB against GB, I give him the Mike Sullivan pass. Probably deserves fired but f*** it. He stamped the final victory in the era.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Overall Tomlin's track record is quite good.

My main complaint is that I don't think he's chased top talent as coordinators in recent years. And that may be for his own job security. Really wish we'd had a McDaniels.

Nonetheless at this point Tomlin himself is our "top talent" at D-coordinator which has helped.

I agree that I wish some coordinator hirings were better, but some of that is on Ben for better or worse. We’re stuck with Randy because Ben loves him. I’m wholly curious to see what Matt Canada’s offense would have looked like with last year’s team of misfits at QB.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
People bitch about Tomlin not being able to win playoff games. And you want to stand by finding a better coach where people are criticizing this dude?

His record in the last decade.... DECADE (2010-2019) and this is not purposely ignoring the SB Win. This is a decade. 2009 was a miss. 2008 SB.

- 2010: 2-1 and was a 7 point SB favorite. Team wasn't prepared and lost in the SB
- 2011: 0-1 Favorite and lost to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos in wilcard.
- 2014: 0-1 Lost to the Ravens 30-17
- 2015: 1-1 lost to the Broncos
- 2016: 2-1 lost to the Pats lolololol like every single time
- 2017: 0-1 lost to the Jags as a big favorite.
- Missed playoffs 2019, 2018, 2013, 2012,

4 missed playoffs, 2 HUGE blown opportunities, and a total record of 5 wins and 6 losses. Hell take his SB into play and he has an 8-7 record in the playoffs. His team hasn't shown up multiple times. There are plenty examples of his team not being prepared on the field. Tim Tebow... So finding a coach with a losing record in the playoffs in the last decade with the talent and franchise QB that he has had? Yeah.. i'd say as of now they easily left one SB at least on the table. Easily. Mostly due to coaching.

2010 the team was beat up. They were without Pouncey, Troy was playing on a bum Achilles and Manny Sanders went out early on with a broken foot. Troy was burned on a TD, Lagurski allowed a safety and the offense missed a key weapon.

2011 the team had secondary issues. Sure enough that came to roost.

2017 that season ended the moment Shazier went down December 7th. The defense was a mess after that because of how important he was.

Some of this blame falls to Colbert for drafting poorly outside of WR, though that’s turned around the past few years.

Tomlin has flaws. His game management could be better, his time management the same. I cringe when he challenges a play. But he’s a Hall of Fame coach that’s proven by now he’s a generational talent at that position.

He’s better than Cowher, who is now looked at fondly because it took him umpteen years to finally win despite choking constantly in the big game. Something he was rightly criticized for and people wanted him fired for it. Now? He’s a f***ing legend. Appreciate how special of a coach Tomlin is for god’s sake. Chances are who ever takes over won’t be better and more than likely will be worse.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
the Thursday game shouldn’t be moved unless half the Ravens come down with Covid in the next couple days...too bad for them, they shouldn’t get an advantage by moving the game...just isolate those positive players and play on
Problem is you can test negative for several days after contracting Covid so that’s why the game should be moved but of course it won’t because of money

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Tomlin walked into a franchise with a franchise QB and defence.

Belichek is a perfect example of what not having a stud at QB does for you.

And Tomlin isn't in the same galaxy as Belichek.

Tomlin will fade the moment Ben hangs them up.

He's a good coach who inherited the most stable NFL franchise, a HOF QB, who btw led one of the all time greatest drives in NFL history to help get Tomlin his ring.

Generational coach? That is ludicrous.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That Jacksonville loss isn’t as embarrassing as some people want to make it. Sucks for sure but that was actually a really good Jaguars team who were two minutes away from beating the Pats and going to the Super Bowl.

And then add in replacing Shazier with Sean Spence and going against the best rushing team in the league? Not a surprise that they ended up losing in hindsight.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
That Jacksonville loss isn’t as embarrassing as some people want to make it. Sucks for sure but that was actually a really good Jaguars team who were two minutes away from beating the Pats and going to the Super Bowl.

Didn't the stat indicate that the Steelers were the only home playoff team in NFL history to score over 40 points and still lose.

Shazier or not that was a bad display.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad