Friedman: Flyers working with Seattle to move a High Salary Player (Potentially Voracek)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A lot of teams sign up 10-12 players to AHL contracts to fill in the roster gaps on their AHL teams (I call it Rosta-filla). And then they sign some junior and college free agents to ELCs so there's no need to panic about filling an AHL roster.

Most teams sign around 5 players they own the rights from. Some years it could be more because they drsft more college/Europe players who sign 3-4 yrs post draft vs the chl 2 yr signings.

Thrn they might sign 1-3 free agents from college or undrafted CHL/Europe players.

Thrn they fill roster with vet AHL players

some of these signings are AHL only.

teams have problems if they are short on incoming players coming in. There are dress limits on vets in the AHL. You can’t just sign vets.

Reactions: brewski420

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It’s also illegal
It's legal but I don't know why the player going back to Seattle has to have been 'exposed' for the draft. Voracek (salary retained) back to the Flyers for a roster player and pick is technically OK. Depending on the player and pick the Flyers may have to add (Seattle will be chewing up one of its two salary retained slots and they have value too) a prospect or second pick or something.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Flyers "may". So basically utter bullshit.

Shocker.

Such a sophisticated analysis of Friedman. Clearly no idea what you're talking about. Friedman doesn't just push out whatever pops into his mind. He says 'may' so that people like you don't screech when it doesnt pan out. It's amazing how many times we have to go over this with people on the rumour forum.

Reactions: Curufinwe

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Not true.....all 3 could be exposed as it is. NAK for sure won't be protected.

F: Giroux, Couts, Hayes, Konecny, Lindblom, Laughton, Patrick
D: Provy, Sanheim, Myers

JVR, Voracek, NAK exposed
Ghost, Braun, Hagg exposed
ya I cant see any other option other than jvr and laughton swapping. Cant see anything else really

Reactions: RG3hockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The one factor that most people are forgetting is that Seattle doesn't have to rely on just the expansion draft to acquire talent.

With the flat cap crunch, I feel that this off-season will be a historic buyers market on the trade front for good, slightly overpaid players.

After the expansion draft, Seattle will have some capital to spend, and quite possibly a ton of cap space if they take mostly bargain contracts in the draft and avoid overpriced, aging vets.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Again.....Flyers should just trade Voracek for an A asset plus. Not pay Seattle anything to take him. I'd rather them, not leave Voracek exposed to be taken for free. It's just bad asset management.

Now that it seems Voracek will be exposed according to reports, it isn't the worst thing in the world. I think losing Voracek for free would be a travesty, but as others have said, it isn't a horrible strategy to dare Seattle to take his contract in his flat-cap environment (even though I certainly think he's worth his salary).

If Seattle takes him for free, we have money to sign Hamilton (if he's willing to come here) without any real work. If they don't, Seattle will likely take Ghost or Hagg and that's another spot open anyway with Voracek still a tradable asset. Again, I think you only trade Jake if you're lining up a RHD in free agency, or a pipe dream winger signing of Ovechkin or Landeskog.

The only positive of firing Hextall is that offseason periods have the potential to be bonkers - and I kind of missed that as a fan.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Again.....Flyers should just trade Voracek for an A asset plus. Not pay Seattle anything to take him. I'd rather them, not leave Voracek exposed to be taken for free. It's just bad asset management.

To which team?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Maybe they tried trading him but couldn't. His cap hit and term are out of reach for most teams.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Now that it seems Voracek will be exposed according to reports, it isn't the worst thing in the world. I think losing Voracek for free would be a travesty, but as others have said, it isn't a horrible strategy to dare Seattle to take his contract in his flat-cap environment (even though I certainly think he's worth his salary).
Professional executives at this level don't 'dare' one another to make major personnel decisions that will potentially hamstring a team's ability to operate going forward.

If Voracek is made available it's the result of a lot of thought, analysis and probably even some heartache. Seattle's decision will be based on a similar amount of data gathering, analysis and negotiation. If this comes down to a dare somebody should be fired for incompetence.

And you don't grab a player who's going to chew up 10% of your cap space for the next five years for free. If a team wants you to take that contract during a flat cap era they have to pay for it.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Professional executives at this level don't 'dare' one another to make major personnel decisions that will potentially hamstring a team's ability to operate going forward.

If Voracek is made available it's the result of a lot of thought, analysis and probably even some heartache. Seattle's decision will be based on a similar amount of data gathering, analysis and negotiation. If this comes down to a dare somebody should be fired for incompetence.

And you don't grab a player who's going to chew up 10% of your cap space for the next five years for free. If a team wants you to take that contract during a flat cap era they have to pay for it.

Bro I get it - you don't want Jake Voracek.

Good luck getting those 3 first round picks for taking the contract of a top 6 forward in their early 30s.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers informed Voracek that he will be left unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft.

Flyers To Expose Jakub Voracek In NHL Expansion Draft
Since some won't bother clicking and reading:

If they opt not to select Voracek, Friedman notes that the Flyers will move on and begin trade talks with other teams (if they haven’t already). While they won’t get fair market value for the accomplished scorer given their well-established cap issues, they will at least have a chance to get something back for Voracek in a trade as opposed to Expansion Draft selection

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No don’t believe so Vegas was free to do so and the rules haven’t changed from what I can find

they an pick a player from team A and trade him with retention to team B

Seattle CAN NOT pick a player and trade him back to A with retention for one calendar tear from transaction date. They can trade him back without retention. That’s cap circumvention.

It's legal but I don't know why the player going back to Seattle has to have been 'exposed' for the draft. Voracek (salary retained) back to the Flyers for a roster player and pick is technically OK. Depending on the player and pick the Flyers may have to add (Seattle will be chewing up one of its two salary retained slots and they have value too) a prospect or second pick or something.

it’s not legal to retain and Then trade back just like it’s illegal for team A to trade a player to another team, they CBOedhim Thrn he resigned within a year. The league woukd block such trade.

Pittsburgh wanted to re acquire a plAyer. Since they retained on him they coukd not reaquire him for a calendar year.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Since some won't bother clicking and reading:

If they opt not to select Voracek, Friedman notes that the Flyers will move on and begin trade talks with other teams (if they haven’t already). While they won’t get fair market value for the accomplished scorer given their well-established cap issues, they will at least have a chance to get something back for Voracek in a trade as opposed to Expansion Draft selection

Based on all sorts of circumstantial evidence it seems quite clear the Flyers want to move on from Jake. But I don't trust that site as a source for anything.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Based on all sorts of circumstantial evidence it seems quite clear the Flyers want to move on from Jake. But I don't trust that site as a source for anything.
It's Friedman doing the talking though.

Yes they have told him he will be exposed. And if not taken, could be traded if something could be worked out.

And Friedman talking about the Flyers getting something in return for Voracek is a very important thing to point out.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't get Friedman as of late. He used to be really good at keeping his click bait at logical suggestions, but as of late he's just really chasing the almighty dollar. Not one single team gave up an asset to get Vegas to take a good player, regardless of the cap hit. There is no doubt that Voracek is still a good player. The only teams that should be giving up assets for Seattle to take a player are those with bad contracts, are too many good players and they want them to take a prospect / scrub. Friedman is suddenly behaving these days like EA sports AI.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't get Friedman as of late. He used to be really good at keeping his click bait at logical suggestions, but as of late he's just really chasing the almighty dollar. Not one single team gave up an asset to get Vegas to take a good player, regardless of the cap hit. There is no doubt that Voracek is still a good player. The only teams that should be giving up assets for Seattle to take a player are those with bad contracts, are too many good players and they want them to take a prospect / scrub. Friedman is suddenly behaving these days like EA sports AI.
You sir are about to have 5 people reply to you screaming "BUT IT'S A FLAT CAP ENVIRONMENT THIS TIME! ALMIGHTY CAP SPACE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN RUBIES NOW!"

The space is important - but not as important as many fans believe this year. Open cap space has officially jumped the shark this offseason.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
You sir are about to have 5 people reply to you screaming "BUT IT'S A FLAT CAP ENVIRONMENT THIS TIME! ALMIGHTY CAP SPACE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN RUBIES NOW!"

The space is important - but not as important as many fans believe this year. Open cap space has officially jumped the shark this offseason.
Space is only as important as how it's going to be used. I'd rather have Voracek with his cap hit than whatever Fletcher will use it on, which will certainly carry more term. Seattle would be better off having a guaranteed first line producing forward than whatever other trash we expose, though Hakstol may want his man Hagg again.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Space is only as important as how it's going to be used. I'd rather have Voracek with his cap hit than whatever Fletcher will use it on, which will certainly carry more term. Seattle would be better off having a guaranteed first line producing forward than whatever other trash we expose, though Hakstol may want his man Hagg again.

I don't totally agree with this, if it means Fletch can land a top pairing D-man. I'm not confident he can do that of course, but he'll at least have the cap space for it IF Jake goes.

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't get Friedman as of late. He used to be really good at keeping his click bait at logical suggestions, but as of late he's just really chasing the almighty dollar. Not one single team gave up an asset to get Vegas to take a good player, regardless of the cap hit.

Florida gave up one good player to get Vegas to take another good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad