Post-Game Talk: Flyers win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
And we stilll bleed high danger scoring chances against.

Doesn’t matter who we play either. But the good teams capitalize on us. We either have the wrong players or wrong system or the wrong guys implementing it. Or a combination of them all. And I’m no expert, but I sure find myself thinking how come we never get chances like that as a game like this one unfolds.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game audio:

Player: Blake Wheeler & Patrik Laine

Coach Maurice scrum topics: After being down two goals did he see more of what he liked from his club as the game progressed? Difficulty being behind. Neutral zone issues. What did he see from the Copp line? Goalie plan for tomorrow? How he will try to get Cody Eakin into the lineup? The message/boost of the moves the team has made this week.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Good thing I didn't waste most of my early afternoon watching this lovely turd.

I'm not holding my breath for tomorrow neither. Hopefully, I'm wrong on that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Team as a whole just looked to be fighting the puck. Top line especially. And Wheeler specifically. Thought he had an awful game.
Scheif was a little too lackluster defensively. Too much reaching at times. Ehlers was too cute at times.

Poolman still struggling quite a bit. Can’t seem to handle the puck clean. Hopefully he’s taken off that top pairing soon. DeMelo looks perfect for that.

Thought Laine had a pretty good game. Had some stretches where he was the best player on the ice. Made his teammates better offensively.

Third line wasn’t bad but couldn’t really get something going too much. Most of the team was like that though.

People complain about how we play D but what was Philly doing just collapsing to the net like that so much? Seemed very undisciplined at times. Thought we were the better team mostly. Philly really struggled to contain us at times. We struggled with some of the size and reach of the Philly forwards. Hayes, Couts, and Vorecek are all very good at using that size and reach with the puck.

All in all sometimes it’s just not your day and when so many guys were just “off” and Philly seemed to getting the more fortunate bounces this is going to happen. Philly really wasn’t particularly good. On to Buffalo.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Doesn’t matter who we play either. But the good teams capitalize on us. We either have the wrong players or wrong system or the wrong guys implementing it. Or a combination of them all. And I’m no expert, but I sure find myself thinking how come we never get chances like that as a game like this one unfolds.

Flyers kept the Jets to the perimeter and effectively neutered us, Maurice can never adjust to the D other teams throw at us!

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Highly disappointing but not totally unexpected, seeing as how this was in Philly.

The laughable start to the game was maddening. Not sure what's with them and playing so lazy at the start and consistently playing catch up, it's like they enjoy it or something.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
55-26 0 Shots combined..... maybe we can add Bogo so we can watch someone new get walked around and make stupid plays every game... he will fit right in....

Tomorrow is now a pretty darn big game... cant crap those points away to Buffalo

Reactions: ocdaddy

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Team as a whole just looked to be fighting the puck. Top line especially. And Wheeler specifically. Thought he had an awful game.
Scheif was a little too lackluster defensively. Too much reaching at times. Ehlers was too cute at times.

Poolman still struggling quite a bit. Can’t seem to handle the puck clean. Hopefully he’s taken off that top pairing soon. DeMelo looks perfect for that.

Thought Laine had a pretty good game. Had some stretches where he was the best player on the ice. Made his teammates better offensively.

Third line wasn’t bad but couldn’t really get something going too much. Most of the team was like that though.

People complain about how we play D but what was Philly doing just collapsing to the net like that so much? Seemed very undisciplined at times. Thought we were the better team mostly. Philly really struggled to contain us at times. We struggled with some of the size and reach of the Philly forwards. Hayes, Couts, and Vorecek are all very good at using that size and reach with the puck.

All in all sometimes it’s just not your day and when so many guys were just “off” and Philly seemed to getting the more fortunate bounces this is going to happen. Philly really wasn’t particularly good. On to Buffalo.

saved me a post... agree on all the players you pointed out as good/bad

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts...

27-55-26 Really poor game from this line. Ehlers was uncharacteristically bad with the puck in his zone. Scheifele just lacks intensity in his own zone, and wasn't much better offensively. Wheeler was fighting the puck as he did last game. He is still really indecisive and ineffective in zone clears from the right wall.

81-9-29 Very strong game. Laine was a force. Connor was okay, but still lost in his own zone. Copp was solid.

58-28-82 Lots of speed and intensity and they were creating chances. Roslovic looks pretty good at C right now.

57-21-38 Okay game. Shore continues to impress. Bourque and Shaw are below replacement type players.

44-3 Really disliked Morrissey's game. He's been off all season. Poolman is an unsteady partner. He gets caught out of position and isn't always sharp in puck movement.

7-4 Decent effort. Best pair today. Pionk is pushing the play more, which is good.

88-12 Yikes. Beaulieu is atrocious with the puck. DeMelo struggled. Still, DeMelo probably belongs with Morrissey.

Hellebuyck was just okay. His rebound control was off. Gave Laughton too much room on his first goal.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
55-26 0 Shots combined..... maybe we can add Bogo so we can watch someone new get walked around and make stupid plays every game... he will fit right in....

Tomorrow is now a pretty darn big game... cant crap those points away to Buffalo

No shots by 55 but great assist on JoMo's goal and he was also instrumental in setting up the power play goal (but not credited with an assist). He wasn't the best Jets forward today (probably Laine) but I wouldn't put this loss on him.

Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Never mind the game, starting to like watching women’s curling, is there something wrong with me?:D

sorry guys about Homan blocking the view of the rocks!
5ddfdbae085fd2f41fea87b4bf5cacc0.jpg

Yeah Sip - the women's curling has been real good--and good game on right now, and 2 Manitoba teams playing tonight, and the winner goes to the championship game at the Scotties -- big fan of women's curling here. :)

Reactions: sipowicz

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Quick thoughts...

27-55-26 Really poor game from this line. Ehlers was uncharacteristically bad with the puck in his zone. Scheifele just lacks intensity in his own zone, and wasn't much better offensively. Wheeler was fighting the puck as he did last game. He is still really indecisive and ineffective in zone clears from the right wall.

81-9-29 Very strong game. Laine was a force. Connor was okay, but still lost in his own zone. Copp was solid.

58-28-82 Lots of speed and intensity and they were creating chances. Roslovic looks pretty good at C right now.

57-21-38 Okay game. Shore continues to impress. Bourque and Shaw are below replacement type players.

44-3 Really disliked Morrissey's game. He's been off all season. Poolman is an unsteady partner. He gets caught out of position and isn't always sharp in puck movement.

7-4 Decent effort. Best pair today. Pionk is pushing the play more, which is good.

88-12 Yikes. Beaulieu is atrocious with the puck. DeMelo struggled. Still, DeMelo probably belongs with Morrissey.

Hellebuyck was just okay. His rebound control was off. Gave Laughton too much room on his first goal.

I have a hard time worrying about the goalie on the first goal. DeMelo and Beaulieu played it just about as poorly as they could have. DeMelo over committed to Provorov who was nowhere near a threat on his own on the sideboards and left a lane open for the Flyers forwards to get into prime shooting position. Instead of taking away the middle and forcing Provorov around the net they allowed a free opportunity in the slot, and Beaulieu never transitioned to the side of the ice the puck was on so it was a point blank shot that never should happen. I guess the center on the ice had to read or guess what DeMelo was thinking and fill in behind but just bizarre decisions by both D.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Missed the game, but by reading the comments, it sounds like the Jet's defense still needs a couple more pieces ??

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Philly played a smart game - didn't give us any room and created a ton of turnovers in both the N and O zone.
We should have changed to a dump and chase game after watching them line up on the blue line on the Jets rush. I'd rather watch the offence develop from behind the net than watching us turn it over or play parameter hockey.

I won't be surprised if Copp is moved off the 2nd line next game - he's not even close to the right fit with Laine / KC. The new guy might get an opportunity there - and that assuming Mo doesn't tear it all down next game and show us anther look in the top 6.

If this team is not skating hard and working there ass's off, they do not look competitive - they need to step it up consistently through this back stretch. We won't win on skill alone - not when the other team is working to take away our time/space or applying a forecheck that has us running around in our end. No point in calling out names - most of our guys took the night off tonight.

Anyway, regardless of how negative this post comes off, this should be an eye opener for us - we need to get serious about the compete and effort level we bring if we want to win games this time of the season.
The league is too competitive and our weak spots are obvious - and most of those weak areas can be managed if we skate like this team can.

On to Buffalo - looking for more speed / effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad