Post-Game Talk: Flyers win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Sloppy effort and resulted in a loss. I thought the biggest issue is that our forwards were awful on the wall and at winning puck battles for the puck in our end. We also took too long to make a play out of our end which resulted in sustained possesion.

Helle was solid but not great tonight.

Poolman is just awful, one of the big reasons we are hemmed in our end is due to him not knowing what to do with the puck. I though Morrissey played well outside the one tire fire shift. I am absolutely dumbfounded how he gets the shaft ice time wise right now. Under no circumstances should he be dead last among dmen in ice time, I don't give two shits about the fact we were on the PK you find a way to keep your best dmen in the game. Terrible bench management by the coaching staff.

The other dmen were up and down as well tonight.

Forwards were meh tonight, couldn't get much going.

Hopefully they come out hard tomorrow as they really need that game.

I can understand that this is not the very best time to assess a new D (DeMelo) and decide how best to fit him into the lineup ( a condensed 4 game road trip), but jeez,, some things couldn`t be any clearer based on the 2 games completed so far. DeMelo is exactly as advertised - a stay-at-home D with well developed defensive instincts, and average to above average skills,maybe a touch slower than one would like. The point is though that he would contribute most if paired with a high skill,more mobile puck -mover . He has been not surprisingly deferring to Beaulieu, expecting him to take charge and to move the puck - and we can see how that is (not) working out well. Sooo, move him up with Morrissey and let`s see how that works.

The thing is, such a move would leave Maurice with some decisions on the 3rd pairing. I think that Poolman is cut much from the same cloth as DeMelo. He is a less-refined stay- at- home D as well and would contribute the most on the 3rd pairing if also paired with a quicker, more mobile puck mover (Niku would have the inside track at this point in time). But Maurice could actually change up between Poolman/Niku and/or Poolman/Beaulieu depending upon his assessment of how the opposition`s 3rd and 4th lines play the game ( are they basically dump and chase? what forecheck system do they utilize? are they overly physical with attempted intimidation ?).

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I can understand that this is not the very best time to assess a new D (DeMelo) and decide how best to fit him into the lineup ( a condensed 4 game road trip), but jeez,, some things couldn`t be any clearer based on the 2 games completed so far. DeMelo is exactly as advertised - a stay-at-home D with well developed defensive instincts, and average to above average skills,maybe a touch slower than one would like. The point is though that he would contribute most if paired with a high skill,more mobile puck -mover . He has been not surprisingly deferring to Beaulieu, expecting him to take charge and to move the puck - and we can see how that is (not) working out well. Sooo, move him up with Morrissey and let`s see how that works.

The thing is, such a move would leave Maurice with some decisions on the 3rd pairing. I think that Poolman is cut much from the same cloth as DeMelo. He is a less-refined stay- at- home D as well and would contribute the most on the 3rd pairing if also paired with a quicker, more mobile puck mover (Niku would have the inside track at this point in time). But Maurice could actually change up between Poolman/Niku and/or Poolman/Beaulieu depending upon his assessment of how the opposition`s 3rd and 4th lines play the game ( are they basically dump and chase? what forecheck system do they utilize? are they overly physical with attempted intimidation ?).

Poolman isn't stable enough to pair with a guy like Niku who is still trying to figure out assignments without the puck.

Chiarot would have been a good partner for Niku. I don't think there's anyone else that would fit on our team right now really. Niku needs to play and figure things out, probably with the Moose for the rest of this season. Come back next season and see if he gets it a bit better in terms of making reads defensively.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Poolman isn't stable enough to pair with a guy like Niku who is still trying to figure out assignments without the puck.

Chiarot would have been a good partner for Niku. I don't think there's anyone else that would fit on our team right now really. Niku needs to play and figure things out, probably with the Moose for the rest of this season. Come back next season and see if he gets it a bit better in terms of making reads defensively.

Mmmm -I share your thoughts that Niku would benefit greatly by having a steady reliable partner to help him acclimate to the intensity and speed of the NHL, and, that we currently have nobody to help him with this transition. But playing on the Moose to the end of this season seems like a losing proposition to me.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nice laser by Laine

He's been deadly the last 15 games as goal scorer again.
His 5on5 goals is fine , the pp goals are out of his norm otherwise he would be in close to 40 goals range now.

But he is doing fine overall the whole season

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Team as a whole just looked to be fighting the puck. Top line especially. And Wheeler specifically. Thought he had an awful game.
Scheif was a little too lackluster defensively. Too much reaching at times. Ehlers was too cute at times.

Poolman still struggling quite a bit. Can’t seem to handle the puck clean. Hopefully he’s taken off that top pairing soon. DeMelo looks perfect for that.

Thought Laine had a pretty good game. Had some stretches where he was the best player on the ice. Made his teammates better offensively.

Third line wasn’t bad but couldn’t really get something going too much. Most of the team was like that though.

People complain about how we play D but what was Philly doing just collapsing to the net like that so much? Seemed very undisciplined at times. Thought we were the better team mostly. Philly really struggled to contain us at times. We struggled with some of the size and reach of the Philly forwards. Hayes, Couts, and Vorecek are all very good at using that size and reach with the puck.

All in all sometimes it’s just not your day and when so many guys were just “off” and Philly seemed to getting the more fortunate bounces this is going to happen. Philly really wasn’t particularly good. On to Buffalo.
Pretty bang on Duke, good synopsis of the game.

Reactions: ps241 and Duke749

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Line #1 - 1 shot
Line #2 - 11 shots (Laine 8 / KC 3)
Top line was completely MIA other than the Morrissey goal. Baffling performance by all 3 of them. They need to be more accountable to the team than that. Biggest disappointment of the game.

Reactions: HHel and Jets 31

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Flyers at home are a real good team, but again the Jets were sluggish in the first 10 minutes of the game, played better as the game went on but sadly not good enough this afternoon.
Yep - Jets looked a little sleepy to me at the start of the game. Jets should have known Flyers have a fantastic home record so should have been prepared to come out ready to play.
Also, what's the Jets' record in afternoon games? If it's bad, maybe petition the league no more afternoon games for them? :laugh::sarcasm:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Top line was completely MIA other than the Morrissey goal. Baffling performance by all 3 of them. They need to be more accountable to the team than that. Biggest disappointment of the game.

I thought Philly did a real good job of stifling them. I think Maurice was too slow to react to it and should have broken them up.

Reactions: Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I thought Philly did a real good job of stifling them. I think Maurice was too slow to react to it and should have broken them up.

I don’t think Scheif and Wheeler work as a pair to start. I think when we’ve seen them reunited mid game it’s worked much better and believe that is the best way to get the most out of them.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought the Jets played well. I said it in the gdt - I'd love to see the stats on Hellebuyck's save percentage in the first 5 shots of the game this year.

Our forwards simply must get better at getting the puck across our blueline. It's costing us goals.

Gritty is scary af.

I love how the Philly fans boo everything :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler had one of his klutzy games with the puck, Scheifele was chasing goals (especially after the Jets were down 2). Some of that was opposition, but they just weren't very good. In fact, the Flyers switched Couturier to face the Copp line in the 2nd because they were much more dangerous.

Reactions: Jet

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I thought the Jets played well. I said it in the gdt - I'd love to see the stats on Hellebuyck's save percentage in the first 5 shots of the game this year.

Our forwards simply must get better at getting the puck across our blueline. It's costing us goals.

Gritty is scary af.

I love how the Philly fans boo everything :laugh:

I thought that was hilarious. If that’s become a thing it’s such a Philly thing even if it’s all in good fun. :laugh:

Reactions: Jet and sipowicz

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, that’s probably fair but not only collectively but individually their effort was poor. Wheeler in particular, that penalty was just awful.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t think Scheif and Wheeler work as a pair to start. I think when we’ve seen them reunited mid game it’s worked much better and believe that is the best way to get the most out of them.

Wheeler tries way too hard to get that setup on the wall with Scheifele either on the opposite dot or in the slot. It's bad on the PP but it's downright destructive 5 on 5 as they don't really support the puck and just get dummied. It's weird to watch, they both work a lot harder separated and engage in puck battles more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad