Flyers Training Camp Discussion Thread I - Still NHL 17 Stanley Cup Champs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yep, very much a possibility:

If Weal clears they are at $74,025,000. $1,025,000 over the cap.

If they then send down:

Lyubimov ($925,000)
Gostisbehere ($925,000)

They would be at $72,175,000. $825k cap space.

Then recall Leier at $779,617k. That would leave them $45,383k under the cap to LTIR Del Zotto and get a lot more benefit than in other circumstance.

Though the most perfect way of doing it would actually be:

Send down VandeVelde ($712,500)
Send down MacDonald ($950,000 savings)

That would leave them $637,500 under the cap... then they can:

Recall McDonald ($637,500)

They could also achieve the same effect by sending down VdV & Ghost... and then recalling O'Neill...

Amazing how that would work out so neatly.

But I don't think they will risk losing VdV.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Yeah, he shouldn't be on the 3rd line or at center on any line. I think he has the chance to carve out a career as a journeyman 4th liner, but only if he plays with the desperation that he played with last year.

I know this team's time isn't for another few years, but I'd be looking for a 3C, whether that means trading a pick or trying to free up cap space to sign someone like Legwand (I don't like him, but he's probably still superior to Cousins or Bellemare.) If Provorov keeps his play up and Del Zotto comes back in a month, this team might have a chance to win a round or two. It would suck if that was impeded because of only having 2 centers.

Legwand!!! :laugh: You have to be joking Legwand is done...

I'm glad your not the Flyers GM

Cousins out scores Legwand this season.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hey Oiler fan here, I'm a huge Provorov fan as well. Watched him play lots over the past couple seasons in Brandon.

Think he sticks? I've heard he's had a great camp from Tripod. He had in my view one of the most dominant seasons out of a WHL Dman I've seen in a long time. Phenomenal player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey Oiler fan here, I'm a huge Provorov fan as well. Watched him play lots over the past couple seasons in Brandon.

Think he sticks? I've heard he's had a great camp from Tripod. He had in my view one of the most dominant seasons out of a WHL Dman I've seen in a long time. Phenomenal player.

He's a lock. He was 99% likely to make the team before we had injuries and suspensions, now there's no chance he goes back.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

Given the situation on D and that he hasn't been returned to his junior club, it would seem that he is staying.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's a lock. He was 99% likely to make the team before we had injuries and suspensions, now there's no chance he goes back.

Good to hear. He's amazing eh?

So fluid with the puck in his own zone and with his breakout passes, uses his long stick effectively in the defensive zone as well. He's so far beyond playing in the dub, nothing further to be gained playing in junior.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

I think he has a 99% chance of staying on the team. He's been playing some of the most minutes of any of our dmen this preseason and besides a few learnable rookie mistakes, he has been very solid. I wouldnt expect him to have a dominant season, but i think he'll prove (if he hasnt already) that he's a top 4 D on this team as is and another year in Junior will do nothing for him. At this point, hes just adjusting his game to playing against faster, stronger, more skilled and experienced NHLers. I expect him to get better throughout the year as long as he has the stamina for the 82 game schedule. Gonna be bad nights and great nights, but I think he's ready to be a rookie.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think he has a 99% chance of staying on the team. He's been playing some of the most minutes of any of our dmen this preseason and besides a few learnable rookie mistakes, he has been very solid. I wouldnt expect him to have a dominant season, but i think he'll prove (if he hasnt already) that he's a top 4 D on this team as is and another year in Junior will do nothing for him. At this point, hes just adjusting his game to playing against faster, stronger, more skilled and experienced NHLers. I expect him to get better throughout the year as long as he has the stamina for the 82 game schedule. Gonna be bad nights and great nights, but I think he's ready to be a rookie.

Exactly. He's young and Dmen take time, he'll be a good one. I've caught a little bit of preseason action of his and he hasn't looked out of place. I think he was playing with Ghost most of the game? They were on the ice together most of the time at least.

He looks NHL ready, and like you said, nothing to be gained going back to junior.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good to hear. He's amazing eh?

So fluid with the puck in his own zone and with his breakout passes, uses his long stick effectively in the defensive zone as well. He's so far beyond playing in the dub, nothing further to be gained playing in junior.

Yeah, he's really impressive, especially considering how much he was used per game. He's still not perfect of course, there were a few times when he made mistakes that were the result of thinking he had more time than he had or underestimating a players speed, but those are the kind of things that get fixed by experience.

Personally, I think he's kinda like a defensemen version of Couturier. He might not score as much as some might expect based on junior production, but his maturity and his defensive game will make him super valuable to this team from the beginning. He also reminds me of Kimmo Timonen in a lot of ways.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, he's really impressive, especially considering how much he was used per game. He's still not perfect of course, there were a few times when he made mistakes that were the result of thinking he had more time than he had or underestimating a players speed, but those are the kind of things that get fixed by experience.

Personally, I think he's kinda like a defensemen version of Couturier. He might not score as much as some might expect based on junior production, but his maturity and his defensive game will make him super valuable to this team from the beginning. He also reminds me of Kimmo Timonen in a lot of ways.

Interesting comparable with Timonen, I can see it. Never thought of it before but I can see some similarities.

Making a few mistakes is to be expected, especially for young D. In the one game I did see he certainly looked like an NHL Dman. Apparently he's played some monster minutes for you guys this preseason and has done well. I think Tripod or someone posted a .gif of him making a long up seam pass hitting a guy open for a breakaway goal. Outstanding read and confidence in himself to make that pass.

Sending him back to Brandon would be useless. He was so far beyond his peers last year, he was in a class of his own. Like I said, one of the most impressive seasons I've seen out of a WHL Dman in a long time. It was a treat watching him live multiple times last year, he's a stud. The dub is known for producing quality NHL Dmen, and Provorov to my eyes is as good or better than anyone in the past decade I've seen.

I guess the only one who would be unhappy about him playing in the NHL this year would be his teammate Nolan Patrick (projected 1st pick in the 2017 draft) :laugh:.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Since Jordan Weal has been placed on waivers today, and with injuries to Del Zotto, Laughton and Manning, would it be safe to say that Provorov, Konecny and Lyubimov have made the Flyers 23 man roster.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Since Jordan Weal has been placed on waivers today, and with injuries to Del Zotto, Laughton and Manning, would it be safe to say that Provorov, Konecny and Lyubimov have made the Flyers 23 man roster.

That would be my guess. When are final cuts? Wednesday?

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
These injuries and suspensions :shakehead I can live without Laughton's services but losing Schenner Gudas and MDZ will have an impact on this team..

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm thinking today Hextall will make the last moves, anybody who is cut today will be cleared/claimed by noon tomorrow right?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So VDV is in at 4th line Wing along with Gordon & Read.

Lyub and Schenn "extras" No Weal.

VDV is going to play every game again, isn't he?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Can some explain the point of the cousins on wing experiment still in effect? It hasn't worked. Just switch peb and cousins!!

Why is vdv in over lyubimov?

Are we getting another berube performance from hak with fear of change?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lyubimov might not be on the roster.

Cousins might not be in the top 12 when Schenn comes back.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Lyubimov might not be on the roster.

Cousins might not be in the top 12 when Schenn comes back.

Who would realistically be a better option? Peb is not a 3c, vdv and read shouldn't be on the team, Laughton doesn't deserve it.

I just don't get why Vdv is still around and getting chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad