Flyers Training Camp Discussion Thread I - Still NHL 17 Stanley Cup Champs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I'm guessing Stolarz must have been reassigned to Lehigh Valley AHL since Mason and Neuvirth are in the line up for this late afternoons game in Boston.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
He's likely on the team due to Brayden Schenn's suspension. If he lasts after three games we'll be able to get excited.

Hope he stays. That roster would be very strong with Schenn on the top line and Raffl on the third.

Schenn -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Konecny -- Couturier -- Voracek
Raffl -- Cousins -- Weise
Bellemare -- Gordon -- Read
Weal
VdV

Provorov -- Streit
MacDonald -- Gostisbehere
Schultz -- Gudas

with MDZ back at some point.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
He's likely on the team due to Brayden Schenn's suspension. If he lasts after three games we'll be able to get excited.

Definitely don't think so. Konecny being on the team has nothing to do with Schenn's suspension, imo. Raffl is replacement on the top line for Schenn.

Konecny is on the line with Couturier and Voracek for multiple games now. Hextall probably sees him as a 2nd line LW option going into the season.

He stated that he doesn't like giving young player a few games in the NHL and then send him back to juniors. He has the vision that young player will either make a team out of training camp or not.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Yeah, Konecny is a great fit for that 2nd line LW spot. Would give us a true top 6.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If it's a paper transaction and you save 25K, I mean I guess it's not a big deal.

I still don't know how its going to work, but I'll just wait and see.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The post clearly said he would be recalled lol.
To be fair, it said "recalling him after MDZ goes on LTIR", and for someone that isn't interested in this bookkeeping crap it's hard to know when he's supposed to be placed there. So you had to read (or skim like I did) the article or have additional information to figure out Ghost would be recalled before the first game.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
How's Weal been in preseason? I am still a believer in this kid but in the 6 pages I went back in this thread it seems he's either an extra or he's going through waivers?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't think Weal is a every day NHL player. He can be used in a pinch due to injury, but I don't trust him to a every day player. He seems to me to be the same guy I saw in Manchester when he was in the Kings organization.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
If Cousins keeps playing the way he did today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Weal get a chance. Cousins should've been benched after his moronic icing, which was already after a handful of terrible plays.

I missed most of preseason, but is Lyubimov really not good enough to get a shot somewhere in that bottom 6? It's looking pretty weak. We need a 3C so badly.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks for the insight. I must say that I was surprised that Cousins appears to be a favorite to be a regular over Weal. Sounds like Weal just hasn't taken the next step with this opportunity in Philly.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
If Cousins keeps playing the way he did today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Weal get a chance. Cousins should've been benched after his moronic icing, which was already after a handful of terrible plays.

I missed most of preseason, but is Lyubimov really not good enough to get a shot somewhere in that bottom 6? It's looking pretty weak. We need a 3C so badly.

I've been one of the only ones saying cousins is not a good or even a decent 3rd line center, and everyone keeps saying give him a chance, but he has had quite a bit of chances and still seems like he belongs on that phantoms roster

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I've been one of the only ones saying cousins is not a good or even a decent 3rd line center, and everyone keeps saying give him a chance, but he has had quite a bit of chances and still seems like he belongs on that phantoms roster

You are not alone. I was on the "Trade for Bozak" train lots of the summer. Adding him would give us a 3rd line C that is good on faceoffs and still be able to chip in points. The 3rd line is going to be sheltered a bit anyways, so a Lind of Raffl, Bozak and Weise would be good IMO.

I do think once Schenn's suspension is over, our bottom 6 should be better as a whole. But clearly, Cousins is not good on the wing and Belle is not a 3rd line C. When Belle is on the 4th line, we are a better team.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
You are not alone. I was on the "Trade for Bozak" train lots of the summer. Adding him would give us a 3rd line C that is good on faceoffs and still be able to chip in points. The 3rd line is going to be sheltered a bit anyways, so a Lind of Raffl, Bozak and Weise would be good IMO.

I do think once Schenn's suspension is over, our bottom 6 should be better as a whole. But clearly, Cousins is not good on the wing and Belle is not a 3rd line C. When Belle is on the 4th line, we are a better team.

I'm just curious how much of a coincidence it is that flyers played much better with cousins in the lineup.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
How'd Moore look last night? I thought he might be a good temporary 3C option for the Flyers. Only earns $60K more than Cousins

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Let's not forget that Corban Knight played 20 games for Florida last season, and had 7 points. If he's great in the AHL, he could be call-up option, too. Cole Bardreau also comes to my mind. Both could be solid 4th line centers, if needed.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Very interested to see how the three big holdouts end. Trouba, Kuchy, and Johnny Hockey. Trouba clearly has the best chance of being traded but I wonder if there have been discussions on the others around the league

Also saw someone on main board say Schenn+provorov for Johnny. That's a major overpayment from us. And still doesn't work cap wise.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Weal is an absolute zero, he's a guy that looks good in the preseason, Cousins has actually performed and well in the NHL.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
To be fair, it said "recalling him after MDZ goes on LTIR", and for someone that isn't interested in this bookkeeping crap it's hard to know when he's supposed to be placed there. So you had to read (or skim like I did) the article or have additional information to figure out Ghost would be recalled before the first game.

Exactly. A simple solution would have been to be more clear.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weal waived.

Looking at the cap, I wonder if Leier might be recalled. That would get them as close as possible to $73m, with Ghost paper demoted and Provy and Konecny on the roster.

Then MDZ goes on LTIR and they recall Ghost, and possibly Morin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad