Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Ryan Hartman to Dallas for Tyler Pitlick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They did make the playoffs, the next season. On 3/1/17 they were 11th in the East and already realistically out of it.

There was no reason to add him at the deadline. They were a non-playoff team. It made no sense to limit their cap flexibility in the offseason by taking on a declining early 30s player. He also needlessly took up an expansion draft slot. He had been an 8 goal, 31 point player the prior season, and his numbers in 16/17 at the time of the trade were inflated from a hot start. He had 0 goals and 2 assists in the 12 games prior to the trade. Hextall did Yzerman a nice favor.

Favor, lol.

Maksim Sushko - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Wyatt Kalynuk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But that hardly makes up for losing Bellemare to Vegas. :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula retained probably had some nice trade value. But he wasn't acquired as an asset. He was acquired to be a middle 6 center and help them make the playoffs. NHL evaluating was never his strong suit. Most every move was bunting for a single with the infield in.

Which he did, and he bought time for Patrick.
All it cost was cap room of which they had plenty.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They didn't play nearly as much as Flip did. Hak used him as the 2c.

He took up $5m in space in a year they weren't looking to sign anyone long term, and came with bonus picks. And the team did well despite his failings. The idea it was a bad trade or a favor for Yzerman is asinine.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadhead

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They did make the playoffs, the next season. On 3/1/17 they were 11th in the East and already realistically out of it.

Favor, lol.

Maksim Sushko - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Wyatt Kalynuk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But that hardly makes up for losing Bellemare to Vegas. :sarcasm:

The 4th round pick was for Streit.

There's no reason the Flyers should've clogged up $5M in cap space, reduced their flexibility, and eaten up an expansion draft slot on Filppula.

Bailing TB out of that situation should have been worth more than a 7th rd. pick. Cap relief and expansion draft relief go for much higher premiums.

Problem is, Hextall thought he was getting a good player, but Filppula stunk.

Hextall essentially wasted $5M in cap room and an expansion draft protection slot, with both the entry draft and expansion draft rapidly approaching.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall didn't waste cap space, you can't roll it over and he did use it to sweeten deals.
And it made little difference in the ED, we lost PEB who wasn't going to be protected.

People nit pick every deal to death.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Flip had all the bells and whistles of a guy that should have been able to fill in as a solid 2C; at worst a very good 3C. Only one problem- he doesn’t score. Living near Detroit I was able to see a lot of him over the years. He can skate; is good on defense both with positioning and with his stick. However he doesn’t have a scorer’s shot or the ability to play a physical game. When the Flyers obtained him, I really wondered what they were looking for and if that matched what he was. He was a weak addition to the roster.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
To be a pro scouting miss you'd have to know what other players were available in a trade for the corpse of Wayne Simmonds in February, 2019.

But you don't need to know that to ask why Fletch believed that Hartman was a good top-nine, long-term fit who was a better option than taking picks for Simmer.

My assumption is that our director of professional scouting told him that. If I'm wrong, and Fletch was totally on his own on this, my apologies to Dave Brown.

If I'm right, Fletch should look at the work Dave has been doing for the Flyers since 2006 (as director of player personnel and later as chief pro scout) and see if it's at the level he needs.

It's funny how two often used examples of the Flyers poor pro scouting, Bellemare and Filppula, went to new teams and had better years than they did in their final seasons under Hakstol.

Bellemare was never an example for me. I thought he brought good value.

Nothing to do with how they were used by Hak, of course. 30-something forwards usually improve as they age. :sarcasm:

No argument here. :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Flyers thought they were going to win the lottery they probably wouldn’t have taken on Filpulla. That was part of the equation when we got him, and rather would’ve had him at another year than have to sign someone. Who would’ve still been here in all likelihood

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Acquiring mediocre players wasn't the problem for Ronald. There's a profitable market for mediocre, aging players whose reputations haven't caught up. It was not knowing what to do with them afterwards.

Filppula retained probably had some nice trade value. But he wasn't acquired as an asset. He was acquired to be a strong middle 6 center and help them make the playoffs. NHL evaluating was never his strong suit. Most every move was bunting for a single with the infield in.
"Bunting" is a good way to describe Hextall's management style.

Aside from his maddening "small ball" approach, he also was far too enamored with the low maintenance, workmanlike, "professional" personality type. He built his rosters like he was constructing a corporate office instead of a hockey team. He overrated a lot of lousy-to-mediocre players due to this blind spot. But at least they stayed away from pepperoni pizza.

Reactions: hatcher

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Braun
Hayes
Niskanen
Pitlick

These are the type of big personalities Hextall was afraid of. He only liked weeny pencil pushers like Gudas and Voracek.

Reactions: Foggy14

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Now that's weird, why would they bother? Pitlick didn't even cost anything (you could waive him to the AHL and save his whole cap hit, worst is he gets claimed).

Guess we can now resign Hartman. :sarcasm:

As far as picks, what picks? Anything outside the top 100 has pretty marginal value.
Screw Nashville for failing to get out of the first round. :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad